Forums

Character model refresh cancel

Quick find code: 14-15-352-66287073

Sydon
Sep Member 2023

Sydon

Posts: 34 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I think a lot of players were waiting for that update to come back to the game (including myself) because the character models are so outdated. Also, i cant see myself recommending the game to new players because of that. For those who didnt know, there was an update of our character models that was in progress with a lot of improvements but Jagex confirmed earlier this year that the project was shelved and maybe would'nt release at all. I think its very sad for the future of the game and for new player base or returning players that wanna come to feel an updated game.

I want to know want you guys think of that decision ?

13-Sep-2023 14:17:27 - Last edited on 13-Sep-2023 14:24:45 by Sydon

Amau

Amau

Posts: 39 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I have two completely contrasting opinions about it.

Firstly, I think this would have been a really important update that would help prevent the game from becoming incredibly outdated. So I'm disappointed that they aren't continuing with it and bringing up the standards of graphics. Improving the character customisation options would be great too.

On the other hand, I think it would be near impossible to get right. Current players are so familiar with the way characters look. Even if we accept that they look out of date, the graphics play a big part in maintaining feel of the game. We have seen a lot of backlash and grieving over other graphical reworks such as skill capes and armour. People don't really like change.
Amau

13-Sep-2023 15:38:22

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,311 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The RS3 team told us they have better graphics project going on this year, and they will continue with Avatar Refresh next year.

Noticeably, we have City of Um, Game Gam area updates and the Overworld Refresh project, together with new models with NPCs in the making. Jagex may think the project this year has higher priority this year.

I think working on other new NPC models may actually be useful in the Avatar Refresh project too.

13-Sep-2023 15:49:04

Kings Abbot

Kings Abbot

Posts: 10,794 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Original message details are unavailable.
Original message details are unavailable.
Is it now shelved or something they continue to work on? There's some contradictory info here...

Who's got the most recent and trustworthy source?

What trustworthy source? As if anything Jagex says is trustworthy!

Good point...

Although, if two sources are both untrustworthy, maybe on of them is less untrustworthy than the other...
Kings Eastwood in
THE GLOOP , THE BWIAN , and THE WIKI
music by Trewavio Morricone

YOU-KNOW-WHO
GO
YOU-KNOW-WHAT
YOURSELF!

14-Sep-2023 17:05:22

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,311 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I believe the last message regarding the Avatar Refresh came from "January 25th - Runescape Design Q&A"( (14:00):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcLyWt2Pc4U&t=840s

It seems pretty clear Mod Hooli said it is safe to say Avatar Refresh won't come in 2023 because the team has other priorities with big scopes this year. They said consider Avatar Refresh to be "on the ice for 2023" but Mod Jack added they want to do it but the technical difficulty of it is too big for 2023 and they may still do it. They then went forward and told us they were considering different plans to approach this project, for instance they could go with 2 sets of Avatars.

My take:
(1) It is safe to say we won't see Avatar Refresh in 2023, given priorities of other projects with large scopes. We now knew of Necromancy and Overworld Refresh they previously could not make visible.

(2) Obviously they still have plans for Avatar Refresh later (although not likely in 2023), as Mod Jack narrated but they aren't focusing on this project in 2023.

14-Sep-2023 17:24:41

Sydon
Sep Member 2023

Sydon

Posts: 34 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Yes the last update we got was in january 2023 from a twitch live and the mod said the project was shelved and maybe it would not happen at all.

The problem I see with this, is the more they update the game and add content like the new city of UM and update NPC design to be so clean, the more our character models will feel out of place in this game. The new high quality gear and cosmetics feels also weird with our character design. Its already becoming outdated with all this new content we can see the big clash of quality between our characters and the rest...

14-Sep-2023 23:31:44

Quick find code: 14-15-352-66287073 Back to Top