Sep Member 2005

elipile

Posts: 7,614 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Some fond memories from 15 years back, Penguin Locations v21

Elipile
21-Jan-2009 20:57:03
Last edited on 26-Jan-2009 07:08:47 by Elipile

Observations on Larry's clues and penguin locations

This is the aspect of penguins I am very interested on, and as I have earlier proved, Larry actually gives clues that point on the current locations of the penguins.

Today I have found out some more clues and their locations.

For White Wolf Mountain penguin Larry has given me 3 different clues:
- "near mountain of wolves" -> penguin was on west side of the mountain
- "where Imperial Guards train" -> penguin was on the low path and as much n/e as possible, where you can see to the training camp in Burthorpe, also when penguin was up at Grimgnash on the n/e top of the mountain
- "near bees and flaxes" -> lol, this was funny one, the penguin was actually north on lowest path but west from the Imperial guards spot

For Lumby penguin Larry has given me 4 differnt clues:
- "where wizards study" -> penguin was on the Wizard's Tower isle
- "kingdom of Asgarnia" -> penguin was in Fally farm
- "kingdom of Mishalin" -> penguin was a bit west from the cross roads north of Draynor village
- "near Port Sarim" -> penguin was in Port Sarim as the clue indicated

For Ardy penguin Larry has given all the time "south of Ardougne" clue. Also when the penguin was inside Clocktower. Two weeks ago, when we had two penguins in Ardougne region and I was asking for clues, penguin was once just couple of steps south of Ardy zoo, and the clue Larry gave was "around Ardougne".

For desert penguins there has been both "south desert" and "north desert" clues today.

From the clues I have got today and the once I know from the past I am in some parts able to form borderlines for the area of each clue.
But it is still a long way to really be able to draw a map based on clues Larry gives. Maybe some day it is possible.

Eli
(
ö
)
>

//
\
v
_/
_
Team Penguin

24-Jan-2024 22:11:11

elipile
Sep Member 2005

elipile

Posts: 7,614 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
15 years ago I didn't think of how long this penguin fun on RS forums would last.

Now it feels like it just started and ends too soon, too suddenly and without warning.

I have drawn maps, and others have drawn maps. Penguins have been studied inside out and reverse, their movement, the traps and sophisticated and imaginative trapping methods, the spawns, their disguises, their cousins like monkeys and turkeys and other spyable, trapable creatures, almost their thoughts too. I still refuse to think of them as evil, just maybe a little mislead.

Although I know Team Penguin communication will continue and thrive on new platforms too, a big part of me will be buried with these forums.

I rise my drinking horn. Let the fiest for the memory, the soul, of the slain begin. Let it be Peijaiset to remember.

Or maybe I just go to bed and sleep over to find that nothing ended.

Eli

P.S. Chariot is still one of my favourites!
(
ö
)
>

//
\
v
_/
_
Team Penguin

24-Jan-2024 22:24:57 - Last edited on 24-Jan-2024 22:55:33 by elipile

Big Bob 2007
Mar Member 2008

Big Bob 2007

Posts: 457 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
It's been a fun 800 odd weeks, I've been hunting penguins since the start, struggled a lot and then discovered the "V thread", it transformed the whole experience of penguin hunting.

Shame to see the forums go, but we will be continuing for at least another 800 weeks (hopefully) with:

Reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/World60Pengs/
Discord - https://discord.gg/vS94zqY
And Twitter - https://twitter.com/TeamPeng

And of course the friends chats will still be there.

24-Jan-2024 22:25:32

Elckerlijck
Jan Member 2009

Elckerlijck

Posts: 722 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Thanks you all, mateys! It has been a privilege playing with you tonight and in the last 15 years. A special thank to Canadian Girl. You rock!
I'll miss ya all and the forums. History, chats, fun, crazy ideas. Everything.

Cheers and skål!
Elckerlijck the Archivist, the Unbe-leaf-able and above all the pirate

24-Jan-2024 23:13:04

Safaddan
Mar Member 2011

Safaddan

Posts: 64 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I've been spotting pengs with my clan and sometimes solo for 13 years now, using this forum and the fc. I'll miss just hopping on here for updates. Thank you so much to all of you who have made it so easy and so much fun. :)
PS. I thought the quotes from penguin-hunting players were hilarious!

24-Jan-2024 23:14:09

D J  1000
Apr Member 2011

D J  1000

Posts: 553 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Recent World 60 Locations - Shamelessly stolen (and updated) from Diomedes Osu one last time :)

1. Fort Forinthry crate - last at Varrock Palace garden

2. East Karamja bush - roams eastern island outside shipyard, south of fairy ring DKP

3. Musa Point crate - last at Musa Point, on the transport ship

4. Digsite rock - last in Varrock Northeast church

5. Dorgesh-Kaan barrel - last in northeast side room, near entrance to the mines

6. Sophanem cactus - cannot leave town, last in Eastern house

7. Wilderness rock - last inside Lava Maze, spawns there on all worlds

8. Canifis bush - last in Fenkenstrain's Castle, northwest room

9. Feldip bush - last in Necromancer's Tower, southeast of Ardougne Zoo

10. Elf/Tirannwn rock - over a leaf trap, follow cliffs east of bridge to Prifddinas

11. Ghost Penguin - teleports frequently, check spy device for hints

12. Keldagrim rock - Freezer peng - last in East side of the Palace

Polar Bear - Rellekka well, near longhall

Circus - Seers' Village
the Egg-cellent
Completionist
, Slayer of Imps, Zilyana's Bane, Ruler of the Tower, Scourge of the Wild, Master of Clay, Chroniclator, Slapsaroth, Piggy, Scion of Viggora, Undertaker, Gardener, Puzzle Hunter, Late, Delver

24-Jan-2024 23:30:03 - Last edited on 24-Jan-2024 23:55:08 by D J  1000

D J  1000
Apr Member 2011

D J  1000

Posts: 553 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I will keep this brief:

Sad to see the end of the forums, but I am glad to have met several great people along the way. I've enjoyed being part of this crew and the RuneScape Forum community for well over a decade. These threads gave me a weekly routine and helped me gain a lot of experience and friends as I tried to finish several skills.

It will be a big transition to see it go. Thanks for all the fun along the way!

D J 1000
the Egg-cellent
Completionist
, Slayer of Imps, Zilyana's Bane, Ruler of the Tower, Scourge of the Wild, Master of Clay, Chroniclator, Slapsaroth, Piggy, Scion of Viggora, Undertaker, Gardener, Puzzle Hunter, Late, Delver

24-Jan-2024 23:54:05

Mel Kazul
Sep Member 2008

Mel Kazul

Posts: 5,740 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
When I started playing RuneScape back in 2005 I avoided using the forums whenever possible as I found it extremely chaotic and confusing to navigate. That changed shortly after the Penguin Hide and Seek was released. I plugged my nose and plunged into the forums to find information on the penguin spies and discovered a thread advertising a random player's fc and the world to go for penguins. I closed the forums and hopped into the fc and whenever I saw someone call a penguin location I'd run to spy it.

To my regret I wasn't able to remember the spelling of the fc so each week I'd have to go to the forums to look up the spelling. One week to my surprise I discovered that the fc name had been changed and that I suddenly had the option of join 1 of multiple fcs for penguins! This however did not change my need to look up the spelling for the fcs each week. "Is the I before or after the U in penguin?"

I'm not really sure when I noticed that the thread had a v number that was changing each week but I do remember that around the time the fc name changed I started to scroll past the first post of the the thread and discovered there was a list of the penguins on post 1.3! This was a game changer for me and the point when I stopped closing the forums after joining the fc. Now I could actually ask for a penguin by name in fc for myself instead of waiting for someone else to ask or call.

At some point among all this I realized I should at least learn the name of who was posting these threads each week as I was usually just looking at the thread titles and penguin spawns. Once I saw the name Canada Grrl my thoughts were "Cool a fellow Canadian! I wonder if I'll ever run into her in game because I'll probably never run into her in real life". I remember one week opening the vthread and seeing the posts were green and thinking it must just be some forum update. I eventually learned it wasn't not to long afterwards.
(
o
>

//
\ World60Pengs Lt / Tour Scout / Herder /Goofball
v_
/
_
@Mel_Kaz*l / @TeamPeng Admin / /r/World60pengs Admin

25-Jan-2024 00:14:38

Mel Kazul
Sep Member 2008

Mel Kazul

Posts: 5,740 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
In spring of 2012 I learned about the weekly Reset meetings from an article on a RuneScape fansite. I started attending the meetings, helped in the fcs, and helped herd and trap penguins. Eventually I was offered a rank in the fcs. I can't recall if it was before or after I was ranked that I learned that the locations of where the penguins were currently trapped was posted on the vthread. I had always assumed anything past page 3 was just random comments or complaints about the fcs. After that I started looking at the posts beyond page 3 and making posts myself.

Since becoming a rank I can recall seeing many amazing posts of songs, poems and limericks created by many of the penguin community posted to the weekly threads. I've also made many friends along the way. There are so many amazing people here and I hope many of you are able to continue to share your creations with us over on Twitter/X @TeamPeng, Reddit /r/World60Pengs and our Discord server Penguin Hide and Seek https://discord.gg/vS94zqY.

I hope you've all enjoyed the story of my forum experience. As Canada Grrl has said the closing of the Forums is just the end of a Chapter. As long as the penguins are around we will be too. So farewell RuneScape Forums and let us begin this next Chapter together! =)

(
o
>

/ /
\

V_
/
_
(
o
>

//