Forums

List of Minigame Improvements

Quick find code: 74-75-859-66062962

Lord Drakan
Sep Member 2010

Lord Drakan

Posts: 7,043 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Fish Flingers:
- Add hiscores (e.g. total fish caught or career best score)
- Make music shuffle

Court Cases:
- Allow replayability for reduced rewards

Demon Flash Mobs:
- Remove dialogue about Zaros from Brother Celerity

God Statues:
- Decrease Construction xp rewarded a bit (maybe allow mint cakes and other gnomish cuisine to be used to increase the xp)
- Buff all fanatics' stats tremendously

Wilderness Warbands:
- Decrease xp rewards

- Add some convoluted way of damaging the invading bandits without fighting yourself
- Change the D&
D to be weekly or daily rather than thrice daily
- Add warband outfits from Treasure Hunter as a permanent reward

Sinkholes:
- Add the ramokee outfit from Treasure Hunter as a permanent reward (from preening ibis after hoardstalker outfit)

Shattered Heart:
- Reduce the one-week-cooldown on completing statues, if that's viable.

Troll Invasion:
- Buff all the trolls, especially Cliff.

- Clearly state that "defending the gatehouse" is without combat

Giant oyster:
- Reduce xp rewards.

Memorial to Guthix:
- Add the aurelian and butterfly MTX things as rewards, either bought using memory strands or for prestiging

Guthixian Caches:
- Decrease xp a bit as it's too OP now

- Add fading memories as rewards (see page 2, Memorial to Guthix)

Tears of Guthix:
- Make the timer more precise
- Increase the level cap from 30/50

Phoenix Lair:
- Allow cutscenes to be skipped after the first time
- Speed up the ribbon fletching a bit

- Change the Arise from the Ashes achievement to require asking the Phoenix about her brother, and increase RuneScore accordingly
- Maybe introduce probability threshold mechanics
Bizarre Boron Fusswell, scryer extraordinaire. OSRS: POH ideas & RS3 minigames & achievement ideas !

Perhaps you're half right; perhaps we can't win. But we can fight.
— Zanik

31-May-2015 10:33:37 - Last edited on 03-Jan-2019 07:58:51 by Lord Drakan

Lord Drakan
Sep Member 2010

Lord Drakan

Deathmatch:
- Add a tutorial or a guide book to explain the mechanics, and some dialogue with Mandrith
- Better matchmaking is needed, based not only on levels but also on armour and weapons
- Since free overloads are given, so should free elemental and catalytic runes
- Add a minimum reward of ~5 points for every sufficiently active participant
- Only start matches if at least two people are in the queue
- Pets are lost when you enter the Crucible entrance and skip growth stages when retrieved at a pet shop, a nasty bug
- Move the armour and power-up interfaces up so they aren't covered by split private chat
- Ogre flasks should not be single-use; they could be made more expensive to account for the change
- Add Deathmatch & Fight Pits to spotlight
- Prevent chickens from getting stuck behind obstacles (make them move like elite dungeon monsters)

- Maybe make the Crucible lobby accessible again, since Marv had some interesting dialogue
- Allow minigame hybrid armour to work in the minigame
- Rune pouches should be able to hold all types of runes
- Skillcapes revert to their default appearance instead of retro when entering the hatch
- Fix music's not shuffling properly inside the arena
- Add hiscores (e.g. total kills)
- Have rogue souls spawn to attack players with killing streaks
- Maybe allow players to earn cosmetic versions of the supreme weapons
- Rename Bounty Teleport to Bounty Locate

Menaphos activities
- See page 35.

All Fired Up
- Award a large batch of xp once a month.
- Make log storage boxes a hard rather than elite diary reward.
- Make the inferno adze augmentable; allow selection of which logs to burn and which not.
- See Rikornak's suggestions on page 41.
Bizarre Boron Fusswell, scryer extraordinaire. OSRS: POH ideas & RS3 minigames & achievement ideas !

— Zanik

31-May-2015 10:33:43 - Last edited on 25-Oct-2018 09:28:46 by Lord Drakan

Lord Drakan
Sep Member 2010

Lord Drakan

Gnome Restaurant:
- Add some new gnomes, e.g. Zooknock, Kalron, Yaktwee, Azalea Oakheart, Golrie, Longramble, Elnock Inquisitor and Junior Cadet Nirol. Maybe some difficult human orders?
- Make all non-premade foods untradeable on the GE
- Increase average value of hard, and gold from easy tips a bit
- Review the rare unique tips:
~ Off-duty pilots: goggles and scarf are fine
~ Ambassadors: terrorchick pet (it would eat locust meat)
~ Brambickle: 2-3 goutweed, which should yield better herbs from Sanfew, and some new cosmetic
~ Wingstone: a vital spark
~ Penwie: several palm tree seeds
~ Garkor: dragon scimitar
~ Gnormadium: a cosmetic hard hat (tradeable)
~ Schepbur: (perfect) tortoise shells
~ Manglethorp: ores appropriate to Mining level
~ Imblewyn and Onglewip: better runes

- Make mint cakes and herbs noted. Also, reduce amount of mint cakes given, make them a bit more useful and remove them from Prifddinas.
- Add new, uncommon double deliveries of food plus a drink for extra tips and more reward points
- Allow reward tokens to hold up to 15 or 20 deliveries in light of this
- Add hiscores (e.g. total deliveries made)
- Add a gnomish explorer to the Lost Grove, and an ambassador to the Fremennik Province

Shattered Worlds:
- Have the banker refuse to withdraw rune and pure essence from the bank, as it's too close to the water altar (altar got moved, so probably okay now)
- Reduce the graphical spam created by corruption and restoration zones
- Make monsters near the red portal unaggressive when standing closeby with completed objective
- Restore prayer points on death or victory

- Add spirits of battle to the reward shop
- Add hiscores (e.g. highest world reached)
- Not really a suggestion, but sigils are cool things - it'd be nice if some could be added to other minigames and they could stay a largely minigame-exclusive reward type

~

For minigames and comp cape reqs, see page 34.

— Zanik

31-May-2015 10:33:51 - Last edited on 25-Oct-2018 09:31:14 by Lord Drakan

5quarecrow

5quarecrow

Posts: 543 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hi, first of all, I believe you should have reserved a few more posts, since there is a lot of stuff to improve :P
(You can solve this later by adding QFC links, of course)

Edit: Support.

1) I think it might be useful to reorder and/or recolor the possible improvements by importance
An improvement that would play a big part in reviving the minigame should be easily distinguished from a minor addition. Example:
- Add hiscores (e.g. total altars captured or orbs deposited)
^^ should be above vv
- Allow your own orbs to pass through your own barriers; they should block only the opponents'
since the second suggestion wouldn't help GOP regain any players.
2) Add QFC links to each minigame's section to the first post.

The Duel Arena highscores would be easily boosted. Limits on games vs the same players would be needed.

FoG-related suggestions:
- The hunted's-stats-suggestion might work better by affecting the damage or accuracy of the hunter, not their offensive skills. Also, Defence is another important reason why low levels are wrecked by some of the crueler hunted - a complete rebalancing of the hunted's stats (including Defence) might be needed, or the hunter's Defence might be buffed.
- The runecrafting gloves that are currently in the shop are too expensive, especially with Runespan around.
- Though I am not a fan of death-dotting, I believe other players shouldn't just be ghosts who float around the arena. Perhaps only disabling the attack option and/or allowing the hunter to left-click attack on their prey no matter their combat level would have a better effect (I don't like the fact that the system allows higher levels to switch weapons much more easily than lower levels).

If you have time, please check my four posts in DarkBrassica's thread (unless you did that already).

I'll write which parts of the four posts I find the most important in my next post here.
Play for fun!
FoG cc 'Loyals' - inactive (link)
GOP help fc (link)
F2P Dungeoneering fc 'L0lf2p'

01-Jun-2015 00:19:02 - Last edited on 01-Jun-2015 00:42:25 by 5quarecrow

5quarecrow

5quarecrow

Posts: 543 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Important parts of my four posts are:
-End of 1st post where I describe how to prevent people from boosting the old (pre-thaler) way. This is important because boosting in FoG has a negative impact on highscores (low levels can get thousands of rating easily without putting in any effort, and people get hybrid gloves in a much shorter time than they ever could by playing the normal way).
-The Rewards part from the 2nd post, as well as the mass-uncharging option for FoG rewards.
-The run recharge speed decrease mentioned in the 2nd post.
-Not so important: an alternative way of matching opponents, described in the 3rd post.
-Bubble for FoG rating quick chat.
-The thaler per game cap, but Mods made it clear that they wouldn't work with this... afk-Scape :s

GOP suggestions/feedback on suggestions:
-I don't believe any changes to the barrier system are needed, and I can't see it helping GOP in any way.
-The stackable essence could be converted to normal rune essence once you leave a game instead of disappearing. If your inventory would get full, some of it could disappear ( not get dropped!).
-I see no reason to make talisman staves cheaper.
-More runecrafting bonus xp per token. If you win exactly half of your altars (no tied altars), you can get 1600 tokens per hour, which would transform into 16k bonus xp. With even f2p Runespan giving 35k+ xp per hour, I believe a much different ratio might be needed to catch players' attention.

More suggestions:
-Yusou Bhoroi's idea: Rewards should be given based on participation in the game, not solely based on the altars won. The current reward system promotes afking and boosting (since boosting gives you more reward than playing evenly matched normal games).
-GOP needs a 1v1 option.
-Promote GOP by sending players that have just advanced to 50 runecrafting a message that they unlocked the minigame.
- Add a GOP label on a world.

Players with more experience with GOP might add more.
Play for fun!
FoG cc 'Loyals' - inactive (link)
GOP help fc (link)
F2P Dungeoneering fc 'L0lf2p'

01-Jun-2015 00:39:03 - Last edited on 01-Jun-2015 00:43:06 by 5quarecrow

Yusou Bhoroi

Yusou Bhoroi

Posts: 8,551 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
-follows link from FoG thread-

I like the thread, but have some feedback (will constrain this to just the minigame I'm most familiar with, other than for general-idea feedback), on the whole, I agree with it! :)

To make thalers simlly win/loss related, it would be lilely to encourage a system like the one used at CWS.. where wins are fixed to alternate (or stick the same, and people alternate), so not so much encourage playing.. if it could be linked to participation and effort.. it'd be ideal.. but that needs individual tailoring.

Original message details are unavailable.

The Great Orb Project:
- Allow your own orbs to pass through your own barriers; they should block only the opponents'
there are a few occsions where using a barrier can enable you to use a repelling angle with your own orbs.. though maybe not enough to prevent this idea being valid... that said, it does act as a good kerb to barrier spamming, if it has the potential to harm the maker (they are simple to remove, if your colour).

- Make the essence rewarded from each altar stackable, but unusable outside the minigame (i.*. it disappears once you exit)
this is less necessary, now, as you can loot all on ground - there's enough time to process all the ess from a 70+ score, before it disappears, though that does hold you up for joining in the next altar, and doesn't let you save for crafting one rune type.

- Make talisman staves cheaper, since wicked hood devalued them
- Make master runecrafting robes slightly cheaper (e.g. 12500 tokens each)
the problem with these, is that the time spent to purchase all rewards, is about right for the time it takes to get to grips with the game, so you're in a position to decide whether you will take it further.. reducing this could increase likelyhood of reaching them before you get there, and having insufficient reason to stay that extra bit to make it up.

01-Jun-2015 02:28:16

Yusou Bhoroi

Yusou Bhoroi

if more rewards, like the ethereal, were added.. then that would fill the gap, but only if they are added.

Original message details are unavailable.

- Add runecrafting bonus xp to the reward shop, with each token giving 10 bonus xp (ish)
ja, good idea :) though the token-allocation system really needs a rework to make it fair, and encouraging for new players, before new rewards are added, or it risks just exacerbating current problems caused by the current one.

- Add rune ethereal outfits from Treasure Hunter as a permanent reward
ditto, and would make a great reward to make Gop relevant to modern training methods, and remain the provider of extra edge/convenience for RCing.

- Add hiscores (e.g. total altars captured or orbs deposited)
agreed! It would best be done by a dual one, based on both the mkre general input, and then one listing the max scored for each altar, in the various playstyles and forms (would be great to be able to officially set them up, too.. as that would make it easier to sort them, as well.

The fix for the token system really needs to revolve around orbs scored.. I know that that risks reducing defence's part in the game, but it would solve so many of the dire (and in some cases: ensured content-killing) problems which plague the game, currently, and keep it down (and always so, regardless of how many people pass through the content).

01-Jun-2015 02:44:41

Yusou Bhoroi

Yusou Bhoroi

As the present system stands, the negatives are:

Boosting is possible, and more rewarding than any form of playing - this boosting involves paying people to either sabotage other peoples' games, afk the content, or use of alts to boost (thus either detracting from the played game, or encouraging rulebreaking.

Afking is rewardable - what's more, it's more rewarding than average fairly-matched-play, at any skill level, being extremely more rewarding than average play for newcomers, especially given:

The only way to reliably get tokens through play, is to target new players - this is baaad as it targets those new to the game, putting them off playing, not rewarding them when they do put in effort, and making it rewarding for those who can play well to prevent others from learning.

It encourages new players to be completely ostracised, and for tensions between new players and the people they meet (further putting them off); it rewards bullying behaviour, thus enforcing it through positive asosciation; it self-snowballs, as the skill-gap gets greater, with older players getting better, and no new players staying long enough to learn enough to start winning more games, that time getting longer and longer.. they can only turn on even newer players, if they don't geg selectively herded into their teams.

This causes the group of players who can enjoy the minigame to be forcibly limited, as no new people come into that group, and even they gradually die off, due to wastage.

What's more, because afking is so much more rewarding than playing, for newcommers, they move to afking, before experiencing the content, so never get the chance to try it and possibly like or enjoy it (the few fixers who do play, which is very few, are playing for less than half the time of others, yet gaining more, they are also playing less enjoyable games, due to restricted movement imposed by afkers).

01-Jun-2015 02:58:10 - Last edited on 01-Jun-2015 20:43:50 by Yusou Bhoroi

Yusou Bhoroi

Yusou Bhoroi

Because it's more efficient than (genuinely) competitive play, it actually discourages that, too...

If, instead, you made the system revolve around orbs scored by teams, then it would have the following effects:

Boosting, where it does occur, would rely on using skilled players, to play the game, with boosters paying them.
This means that although boosting is still possible, it direclty supports and encourages skilled play, so acts as an added reward for using the content. It also won't end up being too much more efficient, due to there being a limit of 5 players, and thus there couldn't be too many in a team, and they qucikly start using up valuable player-spaces, limiting score.

Afking isn't possible, though tension is removed from everyday play, so people can enjoy playing, without being forced into it; there is also still the possibility of relaxed play, which is proportionately rewarding.

The best way to get more tokens, is to explore the game, and discover skill in it, any effort made in participation, is directly and proportionately rewarded.

New players aren't subject to the same abuse, and not only are people no longer forced to make them lose in order to gain for themselves.. but it's impossible for most ways they can be targeted to impact their ability to gain tokens - any ways which do still exist, are no longer enforced by incentives, indeed they would negatively impact gain for people who try to bully, and are reduced in effectivness. They (newcomers) can gain more than currently, even if they end up with a small team comprising of only new players, which will be far less likely, now there's not the great incentive for it, and is soon even further increased (the gain), when they improve, or get into a game with more people.

It actually encourages experienced players to help new players learn, as that encreases the pool of people they can gain more reward with, and thus their overall gain.

01-Jun-2015 03:15:31 - Last edited on 01-Jun-2015 20:49:24 by Yusou Bhoroi

Polar Lights

Polar Lights

Posts: 1,690 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Activity bar wouldn't work very well at castle wars. Let's say you're defending, but there is no scorers, does this mean you're forced to attack barricades? But believe it or not, i actually support it. Only because the gameplay of the minigame has been killed so badly it doesn't even matter at this point. Of course it is possible that one day they decide to do something and if that happens, activity bar cannot be there, but that is very unlikely to happen.

Also, i'm not sure why would it need 2 hiscores.

Gnome restaurant is something i'd absolutely love to see reworked. Could add something like a super-rare gnome glider cape slot reward.

Mobilishing armies deserves some love too. I'd want new outfit (preferably white), title and ring imbues at 500 rank, combination rings or maybe even allowing us to unlock a 2nd ring slot. The item reward (seeds and stuff) should be more profitable. I have no idea if you even make any money by buying those. Doesn't need to be much, even 1m/h would be very nice.

01-Jun-2015 03:24:19 - Last edited on 01-Jun-2015 03:31:09 by Polar Lights

Quick find code: 74-75-859-66062962 Back to Top