Forums

~Woodcutting Rework~

Quick find code: 74-75-421-66221148

Kai Okt Il
May Member 2021

Kai Okt Il

Posts: 34 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
First off: I agree there needs to be an update to WC.

Original message details are unavailable.
> Trees falling at random times.

Yes, trees die suddenly, or last a long time. I would like to see a change to its health system as you suggested, but not in the case of 'no logs until depleted.' Each log obtained would visibly reduce the health by an amount based on level, tier of hatchet, and a little bit RNG.

> Rare birds nest rewards which barely last any time at all and are far from noticable compared to Seren Spirits and Blessings (both of which would fall into the same category as birds nests).

Bird's nests give off an audible cue, but it can be easily missed like it's spawn on the ground. It could be changed to instead have a chance to drop on tree's 'death.'

> Constant tap-tap-tap noises with little variation (for those that play with Sound Effects turned on for the audio clues, this can get annoying. Archaeology noises are far better as there is more variation and is softer on the ears).

Sorry, but tap-tap-tap is how it sounds realistically when chopping a tree unless you use a saw. They could update it, but there's not much to variation.

> Tree locations are not necessarily close to banks meaning long journeys to bank resources. Yes, porters exist, but the value of the logs in the majority of cases is far lower than the cost of the porter charges.

Trees are not as far from banks as you say. Oaks near Varrock, Willows near Draynor and Seer's, Maples near Seers, Yews near Seers and Daemenheim Peninsula Resource Dungeon, Magics near Temple of Ikov/Armadyl Arch, and Elders are meant to be remote like Crystal Trees. Teak and Mahogany are close to a deposit service in Tai Bwo Wannai Village, but requires trading sticks per item, as well as re-entry. Acacia had depo nearby.

I prefer a Sawmill rework that can be trained at with low levels as an alternative.

07-Jul-2021 20:54:37

A  Cole
Nov Member 2003

A  Cole

Posts: 14,682 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Thanks for your feedback Kai.

Kai Okt Il said :
Yes, trees die suddenly, or last a long time. I would like to see a change to its health system as you suggested, but not in the case of 'no logs until depleted.' Each log obtained would visibly reduce the health by an amount based on level, tier of hatchet, and a little bit RNG.
The idea behind not getting resources as you chop the tree down is that it allows for a high XP rate activity without any financial reward. It also gives the opportunity for players to choose a moderate XP rate activity for moderate financial reward by chopping logs in the Lumberyard.

This essentially fits the bill of what Jagex are trying to offer in skills. Take the Deep Sea Fishing platform as an example. There are high XP rates at the fishing frenzy, but zero financial rewards for doing so. However, there are high level fishing opportunities at Sailfish which offer moderately high XP as well as a financial reward.

Kai Okt Il said :
Bird's nests give off an audible cue, but it can be easily missed like it's spawn on the ground. It could be changed to instead have a chance to drop on tree's 'death.'
Good idea. I like this as it keeps it as a random event for felling trees.

Kai Okt Il said :
Sorry, but tap-tap-tap is how it sounds realistically when chopping a tree unless you use a saw. They could update it, but there's not much to variation.
I'd have to disagree. When swinging an axe at a tree, one may tend to take a huge swing at the tree to make a big dent in it, then maybe chip away at it for a little while before taking another huge swing. As it stands right now, it sounds like we're chiselling the trees to the ground. There is certainly scope for variation in my opinion.

~A~

08-Jul-2021 00:13:31

A  Cole
Nov Member 2003

A  Cole

Kai Okt Il said :
Trees are not as far from banks as you say.
I hear your point, but there are still many threads popping up on here asking for a "log box". This tells me that players don't want to be spending time travelling to and from banks, regardless of how close they may be.

I find the concept of a log box to be very boring. I came up with the concept outlined on the first page because it deals with everything that a log box would deal with, but also solve many other issues that Woodcutting faces.

So yes, I agree banks are never too far away from Woodcutting locations, but the game has seemingly evolved to the point where these banks are not quite as convenient as some people would like. It seems we've been spoiled with the likes of the ore boxes, tackle boxes, gem bags, herb bags, etc.

~A~

08-Jul-2021 00:18:20

Kai Okt Il
May Member 2021

Kai Okt Il

A  Cole said :
The idea behind not getting resources as you chop the tree down is that it allows for a high XP rate activity without any financial reward. It also gives the opportunity for players to choose a moderate XP rate activity for moderate financial reward by chopping logs in the Lumberyard.

This essentially fits the bill of what Jagex are trying to offer in skills. Take the Deep Sea Fishing platform as an example. There are high XP rates at the fishing frenzy, but zero financial rewards for doing so. However, there are high level fishing opportunities at Sailfish which offer moderately high XP as well as a financial reward.

Trying to get just one log would become a hassle. This would be a great method to use if releasing a WC Guild tho. The guild could have giant trees that you chop and get 'giant' logs which you turn in for Guild Tokens. The shop(s) could sell construction supplies, bowstring, feathers (unlimited stock), or convert logs into planks (maybe even firestarters? :P ) . After a timer on a felled tree expires, an NPC can come collect the logs with no reward.

08-Jul-2021 05:41:07

Kai Okt Il
May Member 2021

Kai Okt Il

A  Cole said :
I'd have to disagree. When swinging an axe at a tree, one may tend to take a huge swing at the tree to make a big dent in it, then maybe chip away at it for a little while before taking another huge swing. As it stands right now, it sounds like we're chiselling the trees to the ground. There is certainly scope for variation in my opinion.
So... Whack! tap-tap-tap? Not very realistic unless you get your axe stuck in the tree and need to chisel it out, lol

If you watch primitive technology or other related channels, there's not much variation in how they chop trees down. When chopping down a tree irl, you don't want to over exert yourself and tire out quickly, nor swing too lightly and make minimal progress.

I have the unique ability that most men possess to tune out annoying sounds... sorry girls. I only know my character has stopped when I realize it's been quiet for some time. With that in mind, I cannot recall how bad the sound really is. I'd chop a tree and check, but kinda don't want to leave Runespan...

08-Jul-2021 06:06:42

A  Cole
Nov Member 2003

A  Cole

In the case of requiring only one log, I've mentioned methods where this will be possible (coppicing).

Regarding the sounds, all I'm looking for is more variation. If you go to an Archaeology site and start excavating, you'll hear an assortment of sounds for things such as tapping, brushing, lifting materials into your inventory, and the sprite focus sounds. With Woodcutting, it's just constant tapping. I understand there's more inherent variation in Archaeology than Woodcutting, but this doesn't mean there can be no variation in the Woodcutting sounds. I'm hopeful in that the methodology outlined could give rise to more variation in the skill that can aid in a more varied soundscape.

Kai Okt Il said :
A  Cole said :
After all, I’m pretty sure most of us could answer that question in school: “Which two metals are used to create the alloy Bronze?”
Yes, but I got made fun of for saying steel was made from 1 iron and 2 coal...
This made me laugh out loud :D

~A~

09-Jul-2021 16:53:03

Daddy Roshi
Jan Member 2018

Daddy Roshi

Posts: 3,348 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
can u elaborate more on the farming side? specifically how it would make seeds worth something again? u can already pay farmers to watch trees till they grow fully so are u suggesting trees just automatically die after a set period of time regardless of growth phase i.e. already full grown and xp claimed from them unless u pay someone to watch them?
200m defence 08-10-2021

comp cape 12-19-2021

13-Jul-2021 00:15:47

Quick find code: 74-75-421-66221148 Back to Top