Forums

The Heart of Darkness

Quick find code: 49-50-730-64090394

Dredigan

Dredigan

Posts: 1,549 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
PART ONE: The Fall of Ysmora

Chapter one: Guyard

Ser Guyard Valten was clad in his fine, silver plated armor; three red ridges protruding two inches from his helm indicated his command rank. His cloak was decorated with the white sword of house Roham, though his own house wore different colors today he'd be doing the bidding of his liege lord. He took note of the wooden supports holding up the stony ceiling of the main hallway of castle Ysmora. He also couldn't help but notice the lack of guards at the door to the great hall at the end of the hallway. All the better , he thought to himself as he and his guide reached the door. The elderly steward pulled on one of the large knockers and slammed it twice into the great wooden door; not thirty seconds later the door was opening to the sound of screaming hinges and grunting guards.

The great hall wasn't really much of a hall at all, it was truly just a large room with a few decorations and stone pillars holding up the arched ceiling. A huge, long, trestle table dominated the center of the room, benches lined up against the side, a serving woman was putting food on the western part of the table for the feast to come. At the end of the long room sat Lord Wulvir Silmi, an old yet still stern and strong man who wore his colors proudly even after the disgrace that had befallen them a few years before. Not only did he proudly wear his colors but he hung them above his high seat as well, a giant fluttering banner with the grey wolf of Silmi snarling at all who entered the hall.

As Guyard and the steward approached Lord Silmi the steward bowed as he was too old to kneel. "My Lord, I present Ser Guyard, of house Valten." The steward said in a raspy voice.

"Good. Leave us, Martin." Lord Silmi said in his booming, deep voice. The steward shuffled off loyally without another word. When Silmi's eyes met Guyard's his eyebrows came together. "How many men accompany you, Ser?" Silmi

14-Nov-2012 16:38:11 - Last edited on 30-Mar-2013 00:40:23 by Dredigan

Dredigan

Dredigan

"Five hundred, My Lord." Guyard said, expecting the question. Lord Silmi nodded his head slightly, thinking about the number.

"That shall suffice, I thank you for marching on such short notice." Silmi said. "You may leave and be with your men. But be sure to return tonight for the feast, bring a few of your knights as well, I should enjoy meeting them." Silmi said with the utmost courtesy.

"Thank you my lord, I shall return at sundown." Guyard said, turning on his heels and walking out. This time the guards had the doors open before he reached them so he did not have to wait to exit the hall. Outside the sun was covered by a thin layer of silver sky-silk, snow helped to cloud his vision as well though it was falling thinly. Guyard found the first squire he could and pulled him away from his master. "Go find Ivon. And Borthi, send them to my tent." Guyard said, squinting and pointing through the snow to where his tent had previously been set up. Of course, being the commanding officer he would have been allowed to sleep in the castle but his father always said that a man who couldn't sleep among the ranks of the common soldier had no right to lead them.

The squire ran off and Guyard walked towards his tent. He didn't even have time to sit behind the little round table he'd been given before he saw Ivon's icy blue eyes staring at him. Guyard sat down, eyes meeting. Guyard found it somewhat humorous looking at the candlelight shining off Ivon's bald head.

"You summoned me, my lord?" Ivon asked, his monotonous voice almost added to the ferocity emanated by his lifeless eyes and sharp features.

"I did, we have much to discuss." Guyard said as Borthi lumbered through the tent flap and shoved Ivon off to the side to make room. His stomach almost seemed to have gotten bigger since that morning. "Ser Borthi, I see you are doing... Well." Guyard said. Borthi smiled and helped himself to a cup of ale from Guyard's flagon.

14-Nov-2012 16:38:25 - Last edited on 20-Mar-2013 20:17:51 by Dredigan

Dredigan

Dredigan

"Aye so what is it that you're wantin'?" Borthi asked, his speech thick with the slur of mead.

"I want to discuss our plans. There is to be a feast tonight, Ser Borthi hold off on the mead. Feasts have always been more your speed than Ivon's so you shall accompany me. Ser Ivon, you will stay out here and lead the men." Guyard had spent some time thinking of which man should lead, Ivon was the clear choice. Headstrong and resilient, Guyard had never had to wonder of his loyalty or complain of his results.

"Aye it'll be a proper night in any true man's eyes, food, wine, women, and killin'" Borthi said, showing his yellow teeth through his thick brown beard.

"My lord, how shall I know when to signal the men?" Ivon asked. A rational question from a rational man.

"Look out the tent flap, do you see the window just above the entrance?" Guyard asked. Ivon looked, then nodded. "Look to that window and I will signal you." Guyard had contemplated that upon arrival. "Borthi, wear your sword. If asked why you are armed tell them it is an ornament, for looks." Guyard said.

"Will that be all my lord?" Ivon asked.

"Yes my friend. By nightfall this city shall be ours."

Several hours later when the sun had finally began to set, Guyard prepared for the feast. Nobody else would be armed for combat, save the guards but none of them were knights, and by the time any of them knew what was happening Ivon's men would be inside. He made sure to hang his sword at his left side with a fashionable sheathe. As for his clothing he wore a simple red and blue doublet with a red cloak and blue pants. He also wore thick red boots to keep blood from soaking into his soles.

Outside Ser Borthi was already waiting for him. The knight had cleaned himself up as well, thank the gods, he wore a black doublet with a black cloak bearing the white sword of House roham, and white pants.

"You clean up well M'lord" Borthi said.

"Aye, you as well. Good, you've got your sword." Guyard noticed.

14-Nov-2012 16:38:31 - Last edited on 20-Mar-2013 20:25:12 by Dredigan

Dredigan

Dredigan

Inside the great hall the trestle table that had once been barren had transformed into a beautiful bouquet of delicacies from the mainland and the southern mountain kingdoms. Roast boar with garlic cloves sprinkled around it, warm stew with peppers and meats, fully cooked ducks with herbs and spices stuffed into it, it truly was a meal fit for a king. At the end of the table Lord Silmi sat waiting, his family gathered around him for the feast but they would not eat until the guests arrived. A very courteous thing , Guyard thought sarcastically.

The two knights took their seats parallel, nobody questioned them about their arms.

"The food is quite breathtaking, Your cooks deserve a reward for such grace in their meal." Guyard said, wiping a bit of grease off the side of his mouth with a linen cloth.

"Thank you ser knight, it is indeed quite lovely." Lady Silmi replied to Guyard. After two more courses Guyard had to stand.

"I'm sorry, this food seems to have taken its toll on me, where is your privy Lord Wulvir?" Guyard asked most graciously, then noticed Borthi make eye contact and nod quickly.

"It's up the stairs, over there behind the high seat. Open the first door on the left and you will find yourself in the privy, ser." The Lady said.

"thank you my lady." Guyard said, bowing and walking off toward the stairs. When he reached them he climbed to the second level, quickly looked in all directions to make sure he was alone, then removed one of the torches from the walls. He had to search through the hallways for a moment but finally he came face to face with the window above the great hall. There was a guard leaning in it, staring up at the moon.

When Guyard got close enough the guard noticed the torch light and turned around, chainmail jingling noisily. He didn't have time to speak before Guyard's free hand connected with his nose in a quick strike that sent him plummeting down to the courtyard with a yell.

14-Nov-2012 16:38:37 - Last edited on 20-Mar-2013 20:28:58 by Dredigan

Dredigan

Dredigan

Guyard then waved the torch in the window, hopefully the yell got Ivon's attention but it was too dark to tell. At least it was until he saw the light of the moon glinting against bare steel. A yell came, followed by hundreds more as the men began to attack the guards on the walls and run for the castle door. Another guard came around the corner searching for the noise.

"Martin?" he called out in a thick, deep voice. Guyard quickly lunged forward and pushed the man into the wall, then shoved the wooden torch up into his face. The man's hair immediately took to the flame, as did his eyes and open mouth. Screams and firelight filled the hallway as the guard fell to the ground, clutching his face that was now engulfed in burning hair and flesh. Guyard dropped the torch on him, drew his own sword, and went running back the way he came. He crossed paths with another guard, crossed blades with him quickly, then finished him with a sword through the throat that nearly lopped his head off.

He heard yells from the main hall before he went down the staircase. He heard steel on steel, Borthi laughing, screams and more disgusting noises. When he finally did run downstairs he found Ivon had already mutilated Lord Silmi with that greatsword of his. Excellent , Guyard thought, now they have no leader . He himself stabbed his first opponent in the back, right through his brittle suit of chainmail. The next ran at him but Guyard kicked him in the stomach before he could do anything, then sent his sword through the man's back.

Guyard couldn't help but feel overwhelmed by the rising fire in his veins. He picked up a dead guard's shield and got to work clearing out the hall. He severed an arm here, kicked a man into Borthi's blade there, shield bashed and shoved and headbutted all at once. The fight was truly in him tonight. Finally he saw Ivon cleave through the chest of Lord Silmi's heir, Guyard hadn't noticed but Lady Silmi had not been spared a brutal death either.

14-Nov-2012 16:38:43 - Last edited on 20-Mar-2013 20:32:57 by Dredigan

Dredigan

Dredigan

When the hall had been successfully cleared, Guyard sheathed his blade and dropped his stolen shield. He looked through the crowd of soldiers in the hall to find Ivon taking his share of the spoils from his men.

"Ser Borthi, make sure the battle is going our way outside." He yelled and Borthi ran out the door. A bit over an hour later he returned, wiping a bit of pink brain off his shoulder.

"Aye M'lord, the battle was goin' our way. Sorry I didn't come back sooner, I got caught up in the heat 'o the fight." Borthi was grinning widely, sheathing his sword.

Guyard smiled at him, he knew the feeling. "Do not worry Ser, jus* get to helping us clear out these bodies. We've got a burn pit going out back." Guyard said, picking up a guard in full chain armor. The man was heavy, but Guyard was more than strong enough to handle it. He also dragged a man's upper body, by the shirt collar, across the floor behind him. Out in the back training yard Guyard tossed the bodies into a huge burning pit and turned around to go get more corpses.
===============================================================

Chapter two: Meivar

"Ugh..." Valtir grunted. "I love the rain, don't get me wrong. But have you ever worn plate mail that was soaked inside and out?" He asked Meivar, who smiled and shook his head. "Gods be good... I'm gonna chafe." Valtir said pulling loose bits of cloth out of his armor.

Robyk laughed at him "Such is the life of a knight on guard duty." he said, notching an arrow and sending it flying into the middle of a hay-target.

"Why is it that Guyard saw fit to throw one of his 'Oh so gallant' knights up onto the wall for such a minor duty?" Meivar asked, picking his teeth with a knife, bits of jerky were stuck in between them.

"Because there's never any love for the knight of tears." Valtir said, apparently he'd finally learned to live with that wretched nickname.

14-Nov-2012 16:38:48 - Last edited on 20-Mar-2013 20:36:24 by Dredigan

Dredigan

Dredigan

Not only that but he seemed to embrace it. Once he had told Tolvar "If I am to be the knight of tears, let them think it is because of all the widows that have been left crying in my wake." but that was just foolish talk. The only distinguished thing Valtir had ever done was carry Robyk out of the fray of a fight with some rogue Dwarven clan. Other than that the only thing he'd ever been known for was his overbearing cowardice in the face of danger. Meivar on the other hand was inclined to find the danger himself. By no means would he ever think himself heroic however. Just brave. Brave or foolish.

"You'd think" Robyk began but the sentence was cut short by him exhaling a breath and loosing an arrow. "That Guyard would at least let us stand below the walls with the door open. Save us from catching our deaths in the rain." Meivar couldn't help but disagree. Though the rain was dreadful, he knew they wouldn't be able to see anybody incoming from down below the walls, the hill below the castle was too steep to look down without actually leaving the courtyard or standing atop the battlements.

The scout let out a sigh as he brushed a stream of thick, black, and soaking wet hair out of his face. Just as he did so Ser Ivon appeared on the walls and they all jumped up to salute, including Valtir who was technically the same rank as him and had no reason to do so.

"Put your bloody hand down." Ivon yelled at him, seizing his wrist and yanking it away from his forehead. "Guyard says I'm to take a group east. Valtir, scout, you're both coming with me." Then he looked at Robyk "You stay here." And without letting any of them respond he went back down the stone steps. "Be at the gates, mounts under you, in two hours!" He yelled up through the rain.

14-Nov-2012 16:39:46 - Last edited on 20-Mar-2013 20:39:44 by Dredigan

Dredigan

Dredigan

Meivar sighed as he started down the stairs. "What's wrong with you? You get to go on an expedition with the famous knights of Peldehall and I get to shoot arrows at wet hay in the rain." Robyk said, reverting to his usual smart mouthed persona.

"Aye, but I've got to ride a horse in the rain. With soaking wet furs on, taking orders from everybody. Including Valtir." Meivar said angrily. He didn't check to see if Valtir was following behind him, he knew he would be, he just kept walking straight toward the camp as soon as he reached the bottom of the stairs. Only the knights were allowed to set up their tents in the castle courtyard, the men at arms and the scouts made camp outside the city gates. Not only did they have to sleep on the mushy, wet ground under their tents but they never had privacy either; three or four men had to share one tent in extreme situations.

Meivar saw Tolvar and Robyk pulling on the winches above the gate to open it for him and, after what felt like hours, the city was before him. As the the man moved through the opening they saw citizens and Silmi soldiers lined up against walls, their throats opened up or their hearts pierced. More were alive on the opposite wall with the men at arms still loading the crossbows. Meivar may have flinched in his first year with Guyard but he'd seen this kind of thing so much that it didn't even register with him anymore.

Outside the walls Meivar asked a stableboy for a mount and received one, there was at least one privilege to being a scout; you never got questioned if you needed a horse or extra food. He rode back through the gates and up the steep slope of the hill then back into the castle courtyard, his food, bow, quiver, and sword were all hung around the horse's rear end. Inside He found that Ivon had gathered a true team of fighting ***. Seven knights and two other scouts. It appeared that Meivar would be the last one to join the group.

14-Nov-2012 16:39:54 - Last edited on 20-Mar-2013 20:44:38 by Dredigan

Dredigan

Dredigan

"Good of you to join us, scout." Ivon said "Are you all ready to go or are we going to be here until sundown?" Ivon asked and got a quick, positive reply from his men. "Good." He said, kicking his heels into the sides of his horse and taking off down the hill, followed by his men, followed by Meivar, followed by Valtir who seemed to have appeared out of nowhere.

It took them four days after leaving Ysmora to come into sight of 'The Frost', the large mountain range that dominated the north of the mountain kingdoms. And it wasn't until they reached the mountain range that Valtir actually put to words what everybody must have been thinking.

"What exactly is the reason for this expedition?" he asked. Ivon didn't want to answer but again, he was technically the same rank as Valtir and being as dutiful as he was had no choice but to do so.

"Lord Valten has informed me that the former lord Silmi sent out a large force of men a few days before we arrived in Ysmora. He didn't know why, but he knows they were heading east and he's ordered us to find them and find out."

"So we're going..."

"Yes. To the eastlands." Ivon finished for Valtir who just tugged on his collar and showed plain fear on his face. The eastlands were also known as the forbidden lands, it had been illegal to travel there for hundreds of years until the last king fell, and since the border fell under no lord's control it became legal, though only fools ever tried. It was said that monsters, draugrs, and even dragons lived out beyond the border. That civilization was absent and the skies were always dark and cruel. Meivar himself was feeling a bit frightened by this prospect. It mattered not though, he would either go and have a chance to come back or desert and be killed by the next soldier he saw.

14-Nov-2012 16:48:23 - Last edited on 20-Mar-2013 20:47:20 by Dredigan

Dredigan

Dredigan

The next day the rains had turned to snow and hail, coming down so hard that everybody had to put up a hood, wear a helmet, or likely get welts on their necks. In addition, nobody in the party relished the idea of walking through the mountain passes, they were all in favor of adding on a month to walk around but Ivon must have felt a bit headstrong when he made the call so they followed anyway.

The entrance to the first pass was covered in mushy, wet snow that got into your boots and made you feel like you were like to die. The snow that came about a mile in was frozen solid and you had to tread carefully, at that point they had killed their mounts for the extra food rather than try and lead the spooked horses over the ice. The end of the first pass didn't even have snow, it was just blocked by a crevice flooded with water filled with chunks of ice. Most were able to jump over it but two of the knights didn't make it, as soon as they hit the water they went into shock and drowned.

"Leave them, lest you'd like to fall in too." Ivon said to one of the scouts that was reaching for one of their blades. A few hours later after making their way through some frozen valley the found themselves entering another, more narrow pass that forced them to walk single file. By now the cold had taken its toll on them all, and Meivar assumed that they were only about a quarter of the way through.

That night they managed to find a cave to fit them all in. At least this will keep that unbearable rain off of us , Meivar thought, sliding inside. The inside of the cave was dank and almost too dark to see but it was mostly below ground so it helped keep the cold away to an extent. The men had thankfully been smart enough to carry thick cloaks that served as excellent blankets though they were still damp.

14-Nov-2012 16:48:30 - Last edited on 20-Mar-2013 20:51:27 by Dredigan

Quick find code: 49-50-730-64090394 Back to Top