Forums

The Empty Lord

Quick find code: 49-50-445-56488303

[#0NRGJPWVK]

[#0NRGJPWVK]

Posts: 8,092 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Okay, so in three nights I read your entire story up to this point- and I think it's pretty fantastic.

I too am a writer- and so I'll give you some constructive criticism and point out a few things I think you're missing, even though I do truly enjoy your story.
The following is just for improvement-

(1)Problem: While you've near-mastered the art of describing the scenery and the scenarios in a way that gives the reader an excellent visual, you lack in the areas regarding the other four senses. This can also impair the visual aspect, and may be holding you back from reaching your full potential in that area.
Solution: When the character(s) eat, describe to us how the food tastes. When they walk amongst rows of flowers, or are in the middle of a battle and see someone nearby get charred by a burst of fire; what SMELLS do the characters experience?
What about when a door creaks open or a book falls to the floor and sends up a cloud of dust- what sounds do these objects make? And last, but not in any way least; is feeling. When your character walks into a blizzard does the cold sting their nose, or does it bring their senses to complete numbness? When they move their hand toward a nearby flickering candle, do they feel the heat of the flame?
I think that's your largest flaw in writing is that you leave a lot about those senses out. Once you overcome this, I think your imagination, creativity, vocabulary and impressive writing skills will take you far.

22-Feb-2009 07:17:01

[#0NRGJPWVK]

[#0NRGJPWVK]

(2)Problem: While you're definitely several steps ahead of those who make no difference in their characters' acts, behavior and personalities, you still seem to give them all very "cut and dry"/"black and white" personalities that can become easily predictable and completely illogical in many cases.
For instance- it's obvious that you consider Azzanadra the "brains" of Zaros' team, but he still uses certain words that are pretty basic compared to what a highly intellectual mind such as he might use, and his personality often blends with others, like Zaros and Zamorak, and while he makes different decisions his reasoning behind those decisions is lacking because his personality simply does not fit said decision.

Solution: Personalities can be a difficult thing to master, but when you really begin to understand them they can become the writer's secret weapon.
You need to get away from the idea that "Good guys" automatically have x traits and feelings, and that "Bad guys" automatically have the opposite. Each character has to be a complex individual with motives, ideas, and an entire thought process all their own.
You need to picture yourself as each character depending on the situation they are in, and then, using their customized thought process; come to a conclusion of what to do.
Choose your wording, actions, movements and everything very carefully and be as precise as possible. In order to make the people seem real they need to act as if they are all seperate, equally capable people who's decisions can shape the world, instead of having them all just be pawns for you, the writer, who's carefully pre-dictated their actions.
It's best to base your characters on people you know as well. That way you have a constant supply of information from the actual personalities and can translate that into the characters you're writing about.

-Hope the above helps you improve so that you can become an even greater writer than you already are.

22-Feb-2009 07:50:45

[#0NRGJPWVK]

[#0NRGJPWVK]

That's all I meant it as- advice from one writer to another.

|¯¯ ­­ Ethanlas • Founder of Clan RSDTS
|––­­ ­­ '­­­­¯|¯­­ ­­ ­­ ­­|__|­­ ­­ ­­ ­­ ­­ ­­/¯\­­ ­­ ­­ ­­ /\­­ ­­ ­­/­­ ­­ ­­ ­­|­­ ­­ ­­ ­­ ­­ ­­ ­­ ­­ ­­ /¯\­­ ­­ ­­ ­­ ­­ ­­ ­(¯¯
|__­­ ­­ ­­ ­­ ­­ |­­ ­­ ­­ ­­ ­­ |¯¯|­­ ­­ ­­ ­­ /¯¯\­­ ­­ ­­/­­ ­­ ­­­­\/­­ ­­ ­­ ­­ |__­­ ­­ ­­ /¯¯\­­ ­­ ­­ ­__)

22-Feb-2009 15:11:49

Quick find code: 49-50-445-56488303 Back to Top