Forums

The Empty Lord

Quick find code: 49-50-445-56488303

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

Posts: 3,564 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Announcements: I have completed this story. My new project is "Clash of the Incarnations" at 49-50-417-59988625. Hope to see you there! :) ----------------------------------------------------------
Welcome back to the Trilogy of the King, my second trilogy on these forums. It's been a while since I started this, but The Demon's Secret took longer to write than I had forseen. Anyway, this is the story of Zaros, told from the time of his birth. If you have not read the first two installments in this trilogy, I would suggest you do to catch up.
The Prince's Wish at 49-50-306-45275945
The Demon's Secret at 49-50-50-49607177
I would also like to take this opportunity to promote my first trilogy, The Cursed Dragon, Parts 1,2, and 3.
All ads aside, this story picks up six years after The Demon's Secret left off, so, at long last, I present to you
The Empty Lord

Table of Contents
Chapter Number: Title/page #
Prologue: The Thief’s Bounty/1
Part One: Demons and Dissenters
Chapter 1: A Royal Wedding/6,8
Chapter 2: Aithama’s Ambush/11,12,17
Chapter 3: Amascut the Devourer/18,20,21,22,24
Chapter 4: Zayd’s Situation/25,26,27,28
Chapter 5: An Unseen Foe
Part Two: An Empire Falls
Chapter 6: Faceless
Chapter 7: Necraeda
Chapter 8: The Brothers Reunited
Chapter 9: Ihrba*ka's Lament
Chapter 10: The Living Tomb
Chapter 11: Rift of Brothers
Chapter 12: One Last Stand
Epilogue: The Sleeping God
"On that night, the sky split at Ghorrock."
-Anonymous

05-May-2008 02:19:59 - Last edited on 26-Jan-2010 18:13:47 by [#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

Prologue: The Thief's Bounty
The night was cold and dreary, like most were in the northern area of the world. There was no moon in visible in the sky, for the world was wrapped in a thick, dark cloud. The streets were silent, dead to all movement. The only place that showed life was the small bar on the outskirts of town.
The black cloaked figure moved silently down the dirt path that approached the city of Paddewwa, eying the light of the lantern in the bar window. He moved with a force of duty, yet with just enough timidity to keep himself blended into the dark background. He did not have to put forth much effort to remain unseen; no travelers walked the paths at this hour.
The man was tall, and nothing could be seen of his face except his black beard. No one could see his dark eyes, filled with malice and covering a depth that seemed impossible. No, all this was hidden, for the man was on a mission far too important to be recognized. And that fool Zaros had eyes everywhere.
The man stood motionless at the threshold of the bar, looking in and scanning the faces of the few stragglers that still sat in the stools this late. These obviously had nothing to do the next day. That, or their trade flourished in the night…
“A late customer, eh?” called out the bartender, surveying the man with his old, spectacled eyes. He did*’t show the man any particular attention. In his career, he was often confronted with shady individuals. “Cmon in, what’l ya have?”
“Nothing tonight,” the man replied in a fake voice. It was unlikely that anyone around here would know him, but it was better to be safe. “Just looking for a place to sit awhile.”
The man walked into the bar and took one more good look around. There was another man in a black cloak, sitting in the corner. His face was completely shrouded, but the man could make out a dark tattoo on the man’s chin as he raised his head to take a drink.
His heart raced. Just as Kharrim had said…

05-May-2008 02:21:35 - Last edited on 05-May-2008 02:46:00 by [#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

The man walked over and sat beside the stranger. The acrid smell of dirt and smoke circled the table, with the biting smell of liquor laced over it. The man turned his nose. This was the last time he would do business with this sort.
He reached inside his cloak and took out a leather pouch. The pouch jingled with the clinking of gold coins. “I heard you had a…ah, unusual item for sale,” he began, setting the money on the table.
The stranger examined him. “That I do,” he replied, exhaling smoke as he spoke. “You’d be the one Kharrim sent, wouldn’t ya?”
“Yes, that’s me.”
“Can I get a name?”
“What do you think? So you can blackmail me later? I doubt it.”
The stranger gave a wide grin, showing his yellowed teeth. “Thought as much. Now, this here piece is a rare antique, pretty hard to come by. In short, it’ll cost ya.”
The man nodded to the bag of money on the table. “That should be sufficient.”
“Don’t be cheatin’ me, now.”
The man held back his fury, allowing only a tone of irritation to creep into his voice. To be spoken to in that way by a common thief? “What I give you is more than a fair price. Don’t misunderstand, I know the difficulty of your…trade. I would not cheat you.”
“But how bout a little more?”
The man showed the glint of a dagger in his belt, and the stranger tensed. “I think we both know that the deal will be sealed with that amount.”
The thief smiled again, and again the man shuddered at his blackened jaws. “Sorry, mate. I just gotta get as much as I can, ya know?”
“Just show me the item.”
The thief reached into a bag under his cloak and brought out the staff. The man’s eyes widened when he saw it. It was truly the staff of a god, the mystical staff he had seen Armadyl carrying so many years before.

05-May-2008 02:22:57

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

“A rare antiquity, a staff from a civilization far older than either of us,” the thief boasted. “Swiped it from some old man on the trail to the west. Fine condition, perfect for any use you could use a staff for. More perfect as a collector’s item, though.”
Collector’s item! The man burst out with internal laughter. This thief had no idea the true power of the staff before him, and of course, not the tasks and deeds it could carry out. *It** a deal, then.” The man picked up the staff and turned away from the table and the thief.
The thief moved in one quick, deadly motion. He flipped open a pouch under the table and unsheathed a knife hidden within. Then, he hurled the tiny dagger at the man’s back, in the small space between the second and third ribs where the heart lay.
The man spun and deflected the projectile, sending it spiraling down an aisle between the tables. The thief spun himself and crouched into a defensive position, ready to fend off the man’s counterattack.
The man just laughed. “You are a spineless, uneducated coward,” he mocked, “but I’ll let you live. One day you may be of use to me.”
The thief was stunned. “Who are you?” he asked once again.
The man chuckled again, gripping the staff with determination. “I am the greatest man alive,” he replied, “and future Lord of Gielnor. You heard me; I am the killer of the Emperor Zaros.”
The man turned and left the bar and the dumbstruck thief behind, his wild dreams of conquest carrying him back to Senntisten.
-----------------------------------------------------

05-May-2008 02:23:40

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

The swamp was glowing green in the moonlit night, the foul odor rising high among the dying trees. The Morytanian Forest was slowly degrading here into swampland, as it had been during Raldeir's rule six years earlier. Since Zaros had taken over, it had grown into a lush paradise.
Drakan scoffed. It made him sick. The forest was just too...bright. There was nothing like a bleak bog to cure the senses.
"Brother!" called Malak from tree line on the western flank of the camp. "He's coming!"
Drakan got up from the tree stump on which he sat and walked over to where Malak stood. Sure enough, the cloaked man was walking into the marsh.
"Master," said Drakan, bowing before the man. Malak followed his lead. "To what do we owe the pleasure?"
"Just a report, Drakan," said the man, his cold voice more chilling than the midnight wind. "Sons of Raldeir, what are you doing now?"
"Just as you ordered, Master. We've been raising trouble in Kharyll to distract Zaros's forces."
"Not to mention forcing Zaros to move the capital to Senntisten," Malak added.
"That was four years ago," the man replied. "But good nonethless. My plan is proceeding at good pace. Zaros will have no choice but to notice us soon."
"What of Dessous?" Drakan asked.
"He is in Zaros's army," the man replied. "A Captain right now, but I should hope that he will become a General before long."
"Shall we continue, then, as we have, my Lord?" asked Drakan, growing tired of the conversation.
"No, Drakan," the man replied, a smile forming around his dark beard. "I have other plans for you, plans that will take you far beyond this swamp."
Drakan opened his eyes wide. "My Lord?"
"You and Malak. It is time you made yourselves known. You do want to reclaim for father's throne, correct?"
"Yes, My Lord," they responded in unison.
"If we follow my plan, we both get what we want. Remember that, Drakan." The man walked away. "I'll keep you posted." He was gone.

05-May-2008 02:42:50 - Last edited on 05-May-2008 02:43:18 by [#5AGSIZET9]

[#SFYWDQCRD]

[#SFYWDQCRD]

Posts: 1,865 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
=O You just spoiled the spoiler!
(¯`•._)Mëmbër×Ïñ×Wrî†êrš×Õƒ×Rûñë§cåpë(¯`•._)
(¨­­­­­­­­`*^¤„¸¸„¤^*´¨) ­­­­­­­­¨`*^~¤~„¸1Ø7 §Î§§Ý¸„~¤~^*´¨ (¨­­­­­­­­`*^¤„¸¸„¤^*´¨)
(¸„¤^*´¨¨­­­­­­­­`*^¤„¸)LÕvÊ ©hÃñgʧ Êvʮ݆hÎñg(¸„¤^*´¨¨­­­­­­­­`*^¤„¸)
~v~ Scribe of The Amethyst Library ~v~

06-May-2008 13:05:08

Quick find code: 49-50-445-56488303 Back to Top