Forums

The Empty Lord

Quick find code: 49-50-445-56488303

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

Posts: 3,564 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Chapter Eleven: Rift of Brothers

The sun was high in the sky, burning significantly less on this northern city than the desert. Senntisten sat silent, unknowing before the veil of darkness that hovered over it. The Palace, the gem of the Empire, carried on its daily tasks as though nothing was wrong.
He moved swiftly, with purpose. The dark cloak flew with the speed of his footfalls. The marketplace was so busy that no one took notice. Why would they? He was a Palace official, after all. Captain in the army, no less. Hazeel’s face was hidden, though. Everything had to go according to plan; all was lost with a misstep at this stage.
A peasant collided with Hazeel, and the man fell to the ground. He stood up and stared at Hazeel with a rage burning in his eyes. Then, he became aware of who he was seeing. The man ducked his head and sprinted off into the crowd. Hazeel was fingering the scimitar sheathed beneath his cloak the entire time, holding back only because of his orders.
Hazeel ducked into a shady spot beneath a cloth overhang. He couldn’t help but feel amused by the bustle of the market. Did*’t they know their world was soon to end? No, of course not. He chuckled, a welcome relief from the stress of the situation.
“Laughing, Hazeel?” whispered a voice from behind him. Hazeel cut off, but he did*’t move. He had sensed the dagger held to his throat.
“Spyridon,” he replied casually. “Slick as always, I see.*
*Enough. The game is over, Hazeel. We know everything.”
“Oh? And what do you mean by that?”
Spyridon growled. “I said the game is over. You’ve been conspiring against Lord Zaros. My orders are from the Emperor’s mouth; I am to arrest you for treason.”
Hazeel chanced a small glance back. “After all we’ve been through?” He smiled afterward, but Spyridon was too focused to care about the joke.
“Like I said, I’m taking you in. Come quietly.”

02-Oct-2009 03:57:34 - Last edited on 02-Oct-2009 04:06:14 by [#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

“Not like I have much of a choice; I know how skilled you are with that thing. But before you take me, I have a question. Who sold me out?”
It was Spyridon’s turn to grin. “General Zamorak.”
Hazeel’s expression was hard to place. “I see.*
Then, Spyridon and his captive spun into nothingness, headed for the Palace with breakneck speed.
-----------------------------------
Zaros sat impatiently on his throne, tapping the armrest with his fingers. Six hours had passed since that fateful meeting. That morning, just before nine, Zamorak had burst in. His investigations had yielded results: he had discovered a plot that lay with Hazeel. Hazeel had been controlling the Sons of Raldeir the entire time, inciting a rebellion and then playing a spy from the inside.
He was growing impatient. It was nearly six in the evening, the set time. Spyridon was holding the captive downstairs in the dungeon, waiting for the execution. Zaros had it all planned. It was going to take place on the balcony overlooking the market square at four, with all the people of Senntisten watching. A public execution was the fitting end for an enemy of the state like Hazeel.
Viggora and Mesta were standing guard by the Emperor. Zaros had not spoken in nearly an hour; he was lost within his own head. The time ticked by silently in his throne room, a bloody anticipation growing. Zaros's hate was unmistakable. He wanted traitor's blood.
The sun was low in the sky, as twilight grew near. The orange light that bathed the city was a precursor to the fall of night on the Empire. The sun moved across the western window of the throne room, its light shining on the side of the Emperor's face. Zaros looked strange with half of his face bright and orange, and the other hidden in the shadow.
Finally, Zaros got to his feet. "It's time," he said, his voice harsh. He walked down from his throne and along the aisle to the exit. "Make sure Spyridon brings the prisoner to the balcony."

02-Oct-2009 04:03:34

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

"Yes, Emperor," the guards replied stiffly.
Zaros slammed the throne room door shut without waiting for their reply.
Viggora and Mesta walked through a side door and went down toward the dungeons. "This is all crazy," Viggora began. "I can't believe Hazeel."
Mesta nodded. "That filth. He deserves what he's getting."
Viggora stopped. He made his next move with hesitancy, though he knew it must be done.
"I'm sorry, my brother," he said.
"Wha--?" began Mesta, but he never got the whole thing out. Viggora had unsheathed his longsword and ran it up through Mesta's chest. It was a blow from one will killing skill; his blade missed no organ in the chest cavity.
Mesta looked up at his brother with dying eyes. "You?" he coughed. "But...they...they're Mahjarrat!"
Viggora did not answer. He simply stared without pause at his fallen brother, until the life left Mesta's eyes.
-------------------------------------------
The dungeon door creaked as it opened. Viggora peeked in from behind the iron door, looking at the scene inside. Spyridon was sitting in the corner, on alert, watching a chained Hazeel in the center of the room. The glint of metal was visible in Spyridon's hand. He was ready for Hazeel to make an attempt to escape.
"It's time?" spoke up Hazeel. "Finally! Death will be a welcome change from sitting quietly in the same room as this guy!"
"I'm sure death will improve how I see you as well," Spyridon retorted. "So it is time, then?"
"Yes, sir," Viggora replied. "And I'd hurry; Lord Zaros is impatient tonight."
"I understand. By the way, where is Mesta?"
"He's with Lord Zaros," Viggora replied flawlessly. "Waiting on the execution."
Spyridon nodded. "I suppose so. Well, let's get up there then. It's time we ended this rebellion."
--------------------------------------

02-Oct-2009 04:04:52

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

Word had spread quickly throughout the city that the traitor had been caught. The people did not particularly know Hazeel, but still the news was so great that the whole city was crowded in the square outside the palace balcony to see the execution. Fear had pervaded the entire Empire for so long, it felt good to watch someone take the blame for it.
Zaros burst through the doorway onto the balcony. He was led by Ruari, his bodyguard who had met him in the hall just inside. Zaros walked up onto a raised dais, just above the level of the balcony floor. Upon the dais already waiting were Zamorak, Sliske, and Zemouregal. There was a throne sitting in the center of the dais, and Zaros walked over and stood just in front of it. He did not take his seat. Zamorak was just behind him on the right, while Sliske and Zemouregal
"People of the Empire!" he began. "We are here today because of a crime against me, against the Empire, and against your safety. A man in my own palace, a distinguished captain in my army, has conspired with rebel forces to overthrow our society. He has been caught meeting with the Sons of Raldeir, and he is responsible for planning the recent attack on the city of Dareeyak. The guilty party is Hazeel. Spyridon, bring him forth."
Spyridon appeared suddenly before Zaros, Hazeel held firmly in his grip. Spyridon backed away from him, but still he held the dagger ready. The crowd was silent, waiting for the next word. Zaros and Hazeel had locked eyes; Zaros's burning with rage and hate, while Hazeel's were radiating defiance.
"Say your final words, traitor," Zaros spat finally.
Hazeel smiled. "Well, 'Your Highness,' I will say what must be said. People of the Empire, I come before you a humble man. I'm not going to beg for my life, no. Against ears such as these, that will do no good."
"What are you saying?" demanded Zaros, outraged.

02-Oct-2009 04:07:02

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

"I will have my final words, Emperor," Hazeel shot back. "You see, wise people of Senntisten, that this ruler is not open to anything. He claims that I went against him, you, and the safety of this land. I have done only one of those things: I went against this tyrant. You see how war has spread across the land during his rule."
"War that you started!" called out Spyridon.
"I have not. I have never worked with the Sons of Raldeir. Zaros only seeks to tie me in with them to lie to you all, giving the facade that he is making progress against them. My operation was solitary; I would never work with beasts such as the Sons. Do you hear the lies he has formed? I never even had a trial! He needed a scapegoat, and he just happened to choose the right man. I admit I was against Zaros. The thing is, though, that you all should be too!"
"Enough!" Zaros roared, and Hazeel was silent. "You have been unmasked as a traitor; do you really think anyone will trust the word of a snake like you? What you did was unforgivable. You are guilty of treason, and now you will be executed. General Zamorak, my sword."
The sword of Zaros, with its shining blade and six of the eight gems glittering on the hilt, was leaning against the throne. Zaros had chosen to use it to carry out the sentence. Zamorak leaned down to pick it up, but he did not. Instead, he reached inside his cloak and pulled something out of it. It was a small, silver staff.
A cloud passed in front of the setting sun, darkening the scene. Zamorak rose back to his feet, the Staff of Armadyl in his grip.
"Stab," he whispered, and the staff changed, sharp points appearing on both ends.
Zaros heard it, and all of the sudden his brain raced to escape the situation, but it was too late.
Zamorak lunged forward and stabbed the Staff into Zaros's back, just below the back of the ribs.

02-Oct-2009 04:08:32

Og Gangsta66

Og Gangsta66

Posts: 836 Gold Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Is your next story gonna be a fictional story about the mahjarrat nowadays on gielinor? It could bring Zaros back, you know :P
For the people who didn't know it: I used to be Og Gangsta66 on this thread. ;)

04-Oct-2009 07:49:19 - Last edited on 04-Oct-2009 07:49:51 by Og Gangsta66

Quick find code: 49-50-445-56488303 Back to Top