Forums

^+^ Onslaught ^+^

Quick find code: 49-50-10-62349822

A Mad Hatter
Dec
fmod Member

A Mad Hatter

Forum Moderator Posts: 9,861 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
“Caden, c’mon,” Aiden said as he followed his brother. “If it’s just animals, there’s no need to….”

“Holy crap, you guys need to see this!” Caden whispered in a hushed tone filled to the brim with excitement.

“Chipmunks?” Azura asked as she walked up the hill. “Seriously? Are you sure this isn’t a joke?”
Aiden and Caden gripped her sleeves and pulled her to the ground with a yelp. Aiden held her down while Caden put a hand over her mouth and guided her head towards the bottom of the hill. It was a good thing her mouth was covered, because she would’ve gasped in amazement at the sight of a massive group of goblins walking in unison to the south.

“That’s…a lot of goblins,” Aiden said, trying to keep his voice audible yet quiet enough so the filthy humanoids wouldn’t hear him.

“Yeah,” Caden agreed as he slipped his hand off of Azura’s mouth. “And look…they’re marching in tune with each other. And they’re going the same direction at the same pace as their buddies.”

A trembling roar echoed in the air before Azura could say anything. More roars in the distance answered the call, and the ground began to tremble as a massive creature with a cat** body and scorpion tail stomped past the group of goblins. What appeared to be a black knight in elegantly crafted armor was mounted on the creature’s back, and it was surveying the army before it.
^+^ Antediluvian of the Draculesti Bloodline ^+^

^+^ If the Gods see fit to curse us with the Blood, then we shall raise ourselves above them ^+^

25-Nov-2011 00:50:15

A Mad Hatter
Dec
fmod Member

A Mad Hatter

Forum Moderator Posts: 9,861 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The goblins chattered nervously in the presence of the knight and its mount, and they sighed in relief as the mysterious rider spurred its creature away from the group.

“Was that a Manticore?” Aiden asked.

Azura nodded. “Yeah, looks like it. I’ve heard about them, but last I heard they were more or less extinct.”

“But one just walked right in front of our eyes,” Caden said. “It did*’t look dead to me.”

“I don’t like the looks of this,” Azura said as she began inching herself back to the path they were walking on earlier. “Did you guys see the direction they were heading in?”

“Looked like they were heading to Falador,” Aiden said as he slip down behind her. “But why would the goblins want to try attacking that city? Seems too suicidal for them.”

“But if the Black Knights are involved, they may not have a choice,” Caden said. “You saw the guy riding the Manticore. If it can command a monster like that, I imagine controlling a bunch of goblins would be easy.”

“True,” Azura said as she absentmindedly began walking down the path. “C’mon, we’ll have to hurry if we want to reach the city before those guys do. I get the feeling that the knights in Falador don’t know these things are coming for them.”

~^+^~

^+^ If the Gods see fit to curse us with the Blood, then we shall raise ourselves above them ^+^

25-Nov-2011 00:50:44 - Last edited on 25-Nov-2011 00:51:23 by A Mad Hatter

A Mad Hatter
Dec
fmod Member

A Mad Hatter

The dark waters of the scrying pool rippled as the elderly hand of the mage traced a mystic rune through the scene of the desert woman and her companions. The scenery changed to depict a somewhat well groomed ogre in barbaric armor dedicated to Bandos flanked by a group of black knights in elaborate armor, and then it changed once more to that of a desolate landscape with odd metallic shrubs that looked as if they belonged in the deepest pits of the Abyss itself.

“Interesting,” the mage noted in his ancient voice. “I knew things would get bad, but if these two are linked…”

“And they are,” a growling voice answered from the pool. A demonic face that resembled a mix of lupine and piggish features manifested in the view of the hellish landscape, though the mage wasn’t taken aback by the image. He knew all too well that his strange allies had taken to attempting to startle him at the most inopportune moments as a sport, and it was a sport he wasn’t willing to play.

“So, I take it this is part of your plan?” the mage asked as he withdrew his hands from the pool.

“What, deliver the Dreamer to your hands so she can gain possession of the artifact? Yes. Luring the wretched Baron to the White City to try looking for it as well? That was not my doing.”

“Then who’s was it?” the mage asked.

“Another’s,” the demon answered. “But I’m not worried. I have a feeling that even that damned vampire and her pawns will be on our side once all hell breaks loose.”

The mage chuckled at the irony of his ally’s statement. “We shall see,* he said. “In the meantime, I take it the ritual site is prepared?”

The demon smiled a toothy smile that showed off its rotting fangs. “Indeed. All you need is the Dreamer’s power to pierce the veil to enter our world.”

25-Nov-2011 00:52:22

A Mad Hatter
Dec
fmod Member

A Mad Hatter

“Then all I need is the key to the lock,” the mage said to himself as the demonic face vanished from the scrying pool. “Good. I shall prepare my departure immediately.” The mage turned to behold his many arcane tomes tucked safely on the few shelves situated in the corner of his makeshift sanctum, and rummaged through his robe pockets. He produced a silver ring that was cool to the touch, and an onyx gem which seemed warm to the touch dominated the center of the band.

“My…other…” a voice whispered from the recesses of the mage’s mind. He knew it belonged to the ring, but despite that knowledge he was still unsettled just a tad by the effect.

“You’ll be reunited soon enough,” the mage said as he pocketed the ring. “Don’t worry.”

“Gooooood,” the voice replied in satisfaction. “Revenge*I’ll kill…”

“Hmph. You’re not the only one who wants that abomination’s head,” the mage muttered to himself as he summoned a tome from one of the bookshelves to his withered hands. “Now, shush. I have matters to attend to that will help the both of us achieve that goal.”

~^+^~

25-Nov-2011 00:53:03

A Mad Hatter
Dec
fmod Member

A Mad Hatter

They heard the noise of inhuman grunts and roars alongside the sound of steel meeting steel before they saw the actual battlefield. Aiden and Caden couldn’t help but look at the scene before them with a glee that could be ascribed to a child who had just realized the joy of plucking the wings from a fly’s back, while Azura couldn’t help but feel that their journey had taken too strange of a turn this early in the afternoon.

Goblins, some of them wearing crudely crafted armor and others who wore only the thinnest shreds of ‘cloth’ to cover their bodies, were amassed before the gleaming white walls of Falador in the distance, which were almost dwarfed by the massive lion-like manticores among the goblins forces.

Beyond the walls stood the perfectly sculpted castle of the White Knights, and for the time being it seemed untouched by the horde. Though anyone looking at the chaos that day would wish they could’ve said the same for the city, which was most likely on fire, judging from the thick plumes of smoke rising into the air.

“Huh,” Caden said. “Looks like the White Knights made someone mad.”

“Well, it’s probably the Kinshra,” Aiden said. “This seems like something they’d pull for whatever crazy plans they’re always making.”

“Then where’d the Manticores come from?” Azura asked.

“Well…the Black Knight menagerie, of course!” Aiden declared. “I mean, those guys were said to be working with Lucien a while back, so maybe he summoned some to help out their invasion.”

“I doubt it,” Azura replied. “If the rumors are true, Lucien is already dead. I’ve heard the bards singing about him being killed during a ritual a few years back in the North.”

25-Nov-2011 00:54:01

A Mad Hatter
Dec
fmod Member

A Mad Hatter

“Oh please,” Caden said. “Bad guys really don’t die for good. They always come back with some flashy display of power. And this looks like a flashy display of power to me!”

Azura smirked. “Goblins? They don’t seem all that flashy to me,” she said. “If anything, they stink to high heaven. I mean, I can smell the things from here.”

Aiden and his brother sniffed the air and grimaced in disgust. “Umm,” Aiden said.

“Err…I don’t think that’s coming from the goblins over there,” Caden finished as a small cluster of nearby bushes started shaking rather violently. As the group readied themselves for a fight, a small goblin dressed in what appeared to be some sort of rags stumbled out of the shrubbery. It held a small stick in a gnarled green hand that seemed to be withered from age, and its eyes were nearly shut in a squint that reminded them of their grandparents. The creature’s hair was tied in a topknot that was adorned with various bits of bones from small animals, but other than that nothing seemed overly special about it.

“Am I the only one who sees that?” Caden asked nervously.

“What, the grandpa goblin there with his walking stick?” Aiden replied as he approached it. “Yeah. Doesn’t look dangerous to me. Hey lil’ buddy, what’s your na..” He did*’t get the chance to finish before the elderly goblin smacked him across the forehead with its stick.

“Not that,” Caden said. “That damn imp is with it!”

“Imp?” Azura asked as she felt the tingle of magical power begin to build in the air.

“That damn stick hurts,” Aiden said, finally recovering from the shock of the goblin’s attack and backing away as he drew his weapon. “How is it that strong?”

25-Nov-2011 00:55:01

A Mad Hatter
Dec
fmod Member

A Mad Hatter

The goblin only cackled before Azura managed to shout, “Get down! It’s a shaman!”

Purple flames erupted from the wrinkled goblin’s stick, which took to the air and smashed into the grass with a woosh. The flames ignited the grass and began to circle around the group, trapping them in a makeshift infernal arena. Azura leafed through her mind in search of the proper counterspell as Aiden and Caden began circling the diminutive creature warily.

“The imp says it has Snapdragon seeds on it,” Caden said.

“If it’s true, then that’s good,” Aiden said, eyeing the goblin greedily. “But does your imaginary friend know how dangerous this Yoda rip off is?*

*What’s a Yoda?” Caden asked as he slashed at the goblin with his sword, who only deflected the blow expertly for its size.

“Dunno,* Aiden said as he tried sweeping the shaman’s legs out from underneath it with a kick. The goblin jumped over the attack, and only laughed as it held out its free hand in a rather rude gesture. “I heard some bard back in Varrock talk about it during one of his stories. All I got out of it was the thing was a green midget with magical powers.”

“Fair ‘nuff,” Caden replied. He attempted to stab at the creature, but was forced back by a gust of air that seemed to surround the goblin all of a sudden. Aiden, seeing the distraction his brother unwittingly provided, took a gamble and tried swinging his sword at the goblin’s stick. If his guess was right, taking it out would render it weaker….at least, assuming goblin magic followed the laws of human magic.

25-Nov-2011 00:56:24

A Mad Hatter
Dec
fmod Member

A Mad Hatter

Aiden’s sword sliced the stick cleanly in two. The goblin noticed its weapon breaking, and began shaking with a rage that seemed out of place for something its size. The purple ring of fire seemed to draw in closer to the group, but it vanished as Aiden and Caden heard Azura scream.

“Stop!” they heard her cry. “Go away already!”

The purple flames shimmered, and disappeared completely. The goblin noticed this, but it started laughing again anyway.

“Shut up,” Caden said, kicking the goblin, which went sailing through the air with a squeal. “I’ve just about had it with this one already!”

Aiden took his sword and stabbed the goblin through its heart repeatedly. Once he was sure the creature was dead, he rummaged through the rags it wore, and produced a Snapdragon seed from one of the makeshift pockets the creature had in its clothes.

“Sweet victory!” he declared as he shoved the seed in his mouth. It seemed to go down his throat easier this time around, and it tasted good. Hell, he’d go as far as to say that even the various monsters he had cannibalized in the past tasted rather drab compared to the loamy feel of the Snapdragon seed in his mouth at that moment.

“Told ya the imp said so,” Caden said with a manic look in his eyes.

“Yeah, about that,” Aiden said. *I don’t know where you’re seeing the damn thing, but if it keeps finding more of this stuff, by all means keep it around!”

“Umm…it also says not to turn around,” Caden replied as a massive shadow loomed over the brothers. “And I have to second that.”

“Why?” Aiden asked as he turned around anyway. His face grew pale at the sight of a Manticore standing over him, its tail poised to strike.

“Oh crap,” he said. “Azura…a little help here?” He looked around in panic when no spell came to his aid, and his heart nearly leapt through his chest at that moment. “Aw, man,” Aiden said. “Where’d she go to now?!*

*^+^*

25-Nov-2011 00:56:54

A Mad Hatter
Dec
fmod Member

A Mad Hatter

Streaks of light passed over Azura’s vision as soon as the words to a counterspell left her lips. It was a simple water spell that she had used many times before whenever she needed to fill her glass for a quick drink while on the road, but despite the many times she had used the spell, it never produced any lights. That is, until now, when she found herself surrounded by the results of goblin magic.

Blinded by the sudden appearance of the lights, Azura blinked until her vision began to clear. Once it did, she saw that she wasn’t in the fields north of Falador…far from them, in fact. She stood in a barren wasteland that reminded her of the wilderness to the north, and Aiden and Caden were no longer fighting the diminutive goblin shaman dressed in rags. In fact, they weren’t there at all. But something else was. The creature standing in front of her was the same creature she had seen back during the odd episode she had in Zanaris, and in fact the being’s dry, jaundiced skin reminded her of the things that had just chased her in Taverley.

“What…you?” Azura stammered nervously.

The creature-demon, she decided-flashed a toothy grin her way which revealed a set of sharp teeth that seemed like they could cut through the finest steel without any effort. “So you can see me,” the creature chuckled as strands of a red thick, web-like material began crawling over what was left of the rapidly fading grass.

“You’re standing right in front of me,” Azura remarked. “Of course I can see you.” She eyed the encroaching material nervously, which the demon noticed.

“Aye, but you shouldn’t,” the demon said. The strange material that was invading the ground passed under their feet, and it began to sprout somewhat large boils, and parts of the material seemed to bubble and pop in the manner of a potent acid.

25-Nov-2011 00:57:54

A Mad Hatter
Dec
fmod Member

A Mad Hatter

“W…why not?* Azura asked.

“Dear child,” the demon began as it started rising off of the ground. “You are simply human. My kind has no interest in yours.” The demon sniffed the air. “Unless…” she muttered.

“Unless what?” Azura asked, growing more and more nervous by the minute as the strange material began to slither underneath her feet.

“Interesting,” the demon remarked, floating only inches away from Azura’s face. “I never thought…I mean…a fey? Here?”

“I’m not a fey,” Azura bravely replied. “Seriously…do I even look like one?”

“Appearances can be deceiving,” the demon retorted. Azura whimpered when she felt the sharp stab of the demon’s clawed hands grab her by the shoulders and lift her off of the ground. “You look human. Yet your aura…it’s…odd.”

“C-ca…” she managed to get out between gasping from the pain.

“Ah, yes,” the demon said, easing its grip on her just a bit. Azura felt some of the pain leave her, but it did*’t seem like enough to make a difference. “I see. She touched you after all.”

“She…who?” Azura asked, trying her best to ignore the blood that began seeping from the cuts around the demon’s hands.

The demon only laughed, and threw her to the ground. Azura landed with a yelp, and almost screamed as a cyst close to her popped and spewed a rancid liquid over her face. Coughing, the mage wiped the strange substance from her face, and tried standing to face the demon in defiance of its cruelty. Only, the demon seemed to not care about the suffering it was inflicting at the moment.

25-Nov-2011 00:58:56

Quick find code: 49-50-10-62349822 Back to Top