Forums

D&I and Quest Speedrunning

Quick find code: 380-381-850-66266263

Lewis Shoot
Oct Member 2005

Lewis Shoot

Posts: 3,825 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hot Salazzle said :
Obviously I can't speak for Jagex and their reasoning for all of these changes, but as someone who appreciates this I'll try to give my take on it at least since your questions don't immediately come across as bad-faith.

I know Jagex aren't likely to reply but at least I can try. Thank you for trying to answer my questions.

Throne of Miscellania - I guess I don't understand why the one quest with marriage needs to appeal to that demographic. Should there also be a way of completing everything without killing for pacifists?

Recruitment Drive - I guess I don't understand why changing yourself for a minute is a big deal. I think more quests could use change X style as a feature.

Varrock guards - It's weird because they're a mix between their original and 2007 style. Regardless the original style was voted against a while ago and they only changed the varrock guards. The renegade knights are still the same.

Diverse citizens - For the most part I'd agree, although I saw more military males. That made leading females like Zanik more special.
Edit: Ah yes the hair styles are different too.
RIP Forums :(
Finally we have signatures in the surprise forum update. I'm Lewis, I play Old School & I've been playing since 2005.

09-Nov-2022 13:48:07 - Last edited on 09-Nov-2022 13:49:04 by Lewis Shoot

Hot Salazzle
Oct Member 2010

Hot Salazzle

Posts: 1,796 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mini Element said :
The Guards in the Varrock are just as iconic as the Rune Platebody. Mod Kieren stated in their most recent stream that they would poll Iconic Characters and Armor when it came to graphical overhauls. Specifically mentioning the "Rune Platebody" as an example for such an event. Then they immediately turn around an change the Varrock Guard? It's not a good look for Jagex right now. They lied to us....

I agree that their design was iconic , but I will stand by my opinion that they did always clash with the artstyle, specifically in that their animations deviated from pretty much all other humans for seemingly no reason. But yeah, I wouldn't have objected to a poll for that change specifically, even if I personally like their new look better.
"Gamers aren't oppressed, but they should be."

09-Nov-2022 13:48:13

Vivil

Vivil

Posts: 1,000 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
With all those changes ( especially the political / world view changes ) I would prefer to play OSRS as it was on release. This is killing the spirit of the game.

While I can accept that new content would be more woke I can't accept going back and changing all the old content to align with current political climate. It's no longer possible to replay a lot of the changed content as it was back in the day. I thought that was one of the main reason for creation of OSRS.

I've had fun while it lasted.
"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape."
-Jagex rule on RWT in 2012

09-Nov-2022 13:59:35

Hot Salazzle
Oct Member 2010

Hot Salazzle

Posts: 1,796 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Lewis Shoot said :
I know Jagex aren't likely to reply but at least I can try. Thank you for trying to answer my questions.

Happy to answer questions that seem to be made in good faith. :)

Again, I never had a problem with Recruitment Drive myself so I'm probably not the best person to comment on it, though I guess I will say it's a bit silly for female characters to just automatically get to solve the puzzle without even meaning to.

Also great to see a fellow Zanik enjoyer, though I won't let female NPCs being more common devalue my appreciation for her or other cool deuteragonists, personally. :)
"Gamers aren't oppressed, but they should be."

09-Nov-2022 14:31:53

Castchaos
Jun Member 2017

Castchaos

Posts: 563 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ah, the anti-diversion woke changes forced by left liberal politicians that casually do and promote things that shouldn't even be mentioned at civilised parts.

Let's see in order.

Free change:
Takes a bit from immersion.

Throne of Miscellania:
Should be obvious why there was a hetero pairing while romance was a must. Royal bloodlines require own descendants (not adopted children and not members that romance just for... fun). While not utterly destroyed (since there are at least choices), the quest still can't be taken completely seriously this way.

Recruitment Drive:
The major NON-diversity change. It was fun to include another element, the gender, among the puzzles. Instead of removing it, there should have been new quest with other never before seen factors. Jagex here... FAILED.
FAILED

HAM members:
Other non-diversity. Fewer different targets. Instead of this change, there could have been more diversity of theft in other races implemented, not necessarily on gender or age.

I currently calculate it takes 1-2 more batches of these non-diversity bull to make anybody with a healthy tolerance level jump the ship. Exactly the same project mechanics like at EOC.

Except maybe that at that time it was to make RS be more like the then popular games, while these woke changes are dead. The people are starting to get tired of this left liberal chaos, so "OS"RS will have worse future.

Morover, since now there are too many core changes compared to the target version and promised project management, this game is not "Old School" RuneScape anymore. Should be called RS2.5 or WokeScape or something more fitting, but by no means "OSRS".

Now I actually even mind returning to the then OSRS that this game was. I expect by the time my current subscription time is up, I cancel membership. We will see. At least, I can say already now that I don't play "OS"RS.

09-Nov-2022 16:38:12 - Last edited on 09-Nov-2022 16:39:07 by Castchaos

sooshles
Oct Member 2023

sooshles

Posts: 1 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I'm a relatively new player. I never played back in the day, only OSRS.
A lot of changes here I can't comment on, because they affect content I haven't accessed - But I can comment on some.

Specifically The Feud is a quest that I think back to fondly. In fact, it was only two days ago I started working on The Feud and discovered Pollivneach, the town full of Alis. It was such a personality-dripping quirk of the town, especially because the nephew you're looking for in the quest is also called Ali. Then you talk to the camel salesman - named Ali as well - thinking you've found the nephew ... And then he tells you that all his family is called Ali, too.
It was so much fun, such a quirky town.

Now that's gone and it really saddens me. It's this sort of flavor that I've really enjoyed Runescape's quests for.

The same goes for Recruitment Drive. I really, REALLY enjoyed the gender puzzle. It made you think outside the box (I play without guides or the wiki). Most other games present you with a solution close by, or related to what you're doing. It then feels like a linear, no room for creativity, just put the key in the keyhole type of task (which I assume is what this puzzle has been replaced by).
For this quest, you had to come up with talking to someone completely unrelated, the Makeover Mage, without any hint. I've not just had to find the Makeover Mage by myself, but also connect the dots that using him could solve the puzzle. It was such a thrill when I figured that out. This is exactly the feeling I wish to get from open-world RPGs.
It was such a great puzzle, it's the only thing I clearly remember from Recruitment Drive.

Now that's gone and it really saddens me. It's this sort of flavor that I've really enjoyed Runescape's quests for.

09-Nov-2022 17:38:43

TracesPastel
May Member 2022

TracesPastel

Posts: 1 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Glad to see Pollnivneach finally get a much needed rework. One change I'm still hoping to see eventually is Aris finally getting renamed "Fortune Teller Aris" or something similar. The word gypsy has a pretty long history as a racial slur.

09-Nov-2022 18:02:54

Quick find code: 380-381-850-66266263 Back to Top