Forums

Two-factor Authentication

Quick find code: 380-381-62-65435576

Bawwz
Feb Member 2024

Bawwz

Posts: 455 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Original message details are unavailable.
I have a question regarding the desktop application for this. I used the latest stable version (ver 3.0.21) and I used Google authentication (in WinAuth) to use the QR code. This all worked fine and I am able to login on Oldschool again (after it asked for a code which Winauth gave me). So I think it's setup correctly for this computer but I don't understand how it works from here.

What if my current computer doesn't work anymore? How does it work when I want to login from another computer?

You can disable the authenticator - From the FAQ

If you are trying to login from a new PC but do not have your device with you, simply click on the ‘disable authenticator’ link on screen and an email will be sent to your registered email containing a link to disable the authenticator. With the authenticator disabled, you’ll be able to access your account, but we strongly recommend that you re-enable the authenticator when you get your device back.

and because of this surely if the hacker had access to your email and runescape account via keylogging or whatever then he could get in anyway... Never going to be 100% secure?

23-Jun-2014 15:48:53

OxyContins
Apr Member 2023

OxyContins

Posts: 59 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I like this.

What happens if you lose your phone?

This is exactly what I'm wondering? I've definitely lost my phone before... Would losing your phone mean the account is now inaccessible?

23-Jun-2014 15:50:29

Lucky lions

Lucky lions

Posts: 81 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I have a question regarding the desktop application for this. I used the latest stable version (ver 3.0.21) and I used Google authentication (in WinAuth) to use the QR code. This all worked fine and I am able to login on Oldschool again (after it asked for a code which Winauth gave me). So I think it's setup correctly for this computer but I don't understand how it works from here.

What if my current computer doesn't work anymore? How does it work when I want to login from another computer?

You can disable the authenticator - From the FAQ

If you are trying to login from a new PC but do not have your device with you, simply click on the ‘disable authenticator’ link on screen and an email will be sent to your registered email containing a link to disable the authenticator. With the authenticator disabled, you’ll be able to access your account, but we strongly recommend that you re-enable the authenticator when you get your device back.

and because of this surely if the hacker had access to your email and runescape account via keylogging or whatever then he could get in anyway... Never going to be 100% secure?

This is why they recommend using the authenticator on your e-mail address as well as your RuneScape account.

23-Jun-2014 15:50:39

Pixel Pigeon

Pixel Pigeon

Posts: 394 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
My phone is quite the piece of **** and is far outdated, if you're going to make a system like this I'd appreciate an option to do it similar to JAG rather than a phone app.

There is a desktop app that you can use.

I see, which brings me to the obstacle of being required to scan this image - unless there's a separate page to "verify" this image that's not been mentioned. Has me quite confused.

23-Jun-2014 15:57:52

Fireworm999

Fireworm999

Posts: 2,350 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
My phone is quite the piece of **** and is far outdated, if you're going to make a system like this I'd appreciate an option to do it similar to JAG rather than a phone app.

There is a desktop app that you can use.

I see, which brings me to the obstacle of being required to scan this image - unless there's a separate page to "verify" this image that's not been mentioned. Has me quite confused.

You don't use the image if you're using the desktop app. There's a link somewhere on the page where you can get a code (QR code I think) and this is the code you'll have to paste in the desktop app.

23-Jun-2014 15:59:51 - Last edited on 23-Jun-2014 16:00:51 by Fireworm999

Bear Roar

Bear Roar

Posts: 211 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Love it. I don't go anywhere without my phone and no one gets their hands on it. I understand that some are frustrated with the fact that they dont have a smartphone to be able to do this but as the mods have said, there is a web app you can use on your pc/laptop. Also. for those who think smartphones are expensive, if you look on amazon or ****, you can get a cheap unlocked smartphone for less than the cost of your annual membership fee, you wouldnt even need to get a sim card for it. you could just use it via wifi. or fork over a few bucks a month for pay-go. you have so many options.

23-Jun-2014 16:22:40

Quick find code: 380-381-62-65435576 Back to Top