Forums

Two-factor Authentication

Quick find code: 380-381-62-65435576

TeeeBOMB

TeeeBOMB

Posts: 1,480 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ok, thanks Mod Mat K, your quick response.

I'd think you all would trumpet your new security thing, suchly:

Two-factor Authenticator:
June 23 2014
For those who have more than one computer or some sort of cell phone...

Why not say that upfront instead of having me chase my a** around trying to get a neat new security update for my RS account. OMG what a waste. A waste of my time, and now I'm PO'd.

*sighs*

Well keep trying guys. I still like to play RS.

TeeeBOMB

23-Jun-2014 15:22:00

Mod Mat K

Mod Mat K

Jagex Moderator Forum Profile Posts by user
Original message details are unavailable.
My phone is quite the piece of **** and is far outdated, if you're going to make a system like this I'd appreciate an option to do it similar to JAG rather than a phone app.

There is a desktop app that you can use.

23-Jun-2014 15:22:06

Brielyn

Brielyn

Posts: 606 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile

Well excuse me for not being fabulously wealthy. While you may not agree, to me it is unfair to be unable to use this update just because I don't have the resources to acquire the needed items.

If this is a temporary fix, you would think it would say that somewhere and if it does I haven't seen it yet. And yes I have read this entire thread.

Yes its unfortunate that I am, and probably many of other players, are in the situation where they are working with limited funds. But to be told to grow up when we bring up the topic is rather obnoxious on your part.

Well I'm just saying, there's a lot of instances when people are given the short straw but there are always ways around it. I'm assuming, no doubt, you've definitely got a friend or relative who does indeed OWN a smartphone, or a separate computer (if you don't have another computer as well) that you can use to secure your account. The only annoyance you'd have is that you'd have to use their device every 30 days (which seriously, isn't bad at all). As for security in terms of using their phone/computer, you'll be able to delete the application afterwards, and they won't have access to generated codes.

Think outside the box, it's really not difficult.
._.: :._.

23-Jun-2014 15:22:13

big ape dog

big ape dog

Posts: 1,310 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I keep getting error when try to log in to set it up

If you are having problems, please do send a bug report so we can see what is happening.

Here's the problem. When I clicked the link it left on a section on the end of the url enclosed within <> symbols. I had to go up to the url bar, delete "<br%20/>", then refresh.

23-Jun-2014 15:22:49 - Last edited on 23-Jun-2014 15:24:53 by big ape dog

Wee Lamm
Jun Member 2020

Wee Lamm

Posts: 1,272 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Interesting, but this raises one question, arent most people's phone even more unsecure than their pc? Old android versions and stuff, and i certainly dont run a antivirus on mine

Tbh get us JAG

Mobile authentication is incredibly secure. It's widely used and advised throughout the security industry.

Good Call, Mod Reach, I've deployed similar technology in the Financial industry.

To help those that don't see how this works, enabling this on the Jagex Side means that a unique "Lock" code will be generated on their end which will have a life span of about 30 seconds. Running this ap* on your mobile device or pc, will generate a "Key" that will only open the lock that was generated within the same 30 second window and as well, only that "key" can open the lock.

What this means is that the "Lock and Key" are unique to your device and account pair, so no other device can generate the correct key to enable adding more devices to your list of trusted machines.

Wee-Lamm

23-Jun-2014 15:34:15

Wee Lamm
Jun Member 2020

Wee Lamm

Posts: 1,272 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Apparently my quoting technique is flawed .... but never-the-less [quote id=317-318-275-65404913-112-331829309][quote id=317-318-275-65404913-102-331829055] ...Snip Well I'm just saying, there's a lot of instances when people are given the short straw but there are always ways around it. I'm assuming, no doubt, you've definitely got a friend or relative who does indeed OWN a smartphone, or a separate computer (if you don't have another computer as well) that you can use to secure your account. The only annoyance you'd have is that you'd have to use their device every 30 days (which seriously, isn't bad at all). As for security in terms of using their phone/computer, you'll be able to delete the application afterwards, and they won't have access to generated codes. Think outside the box, it's really not difficult.[/quote] Good points, but they will need the app installed on either their mobile device or pc, each time they need to generate the new "Key", to add a new trusted device or even to log in if they choose to not add a trusted device. I'd also like to add, nobody needs to have a second computer or a mobile device to use this new system. It can be used from the same computer you play from. Wee-Lamm

23-Jun-2014 15:40:48 - Last edited on 23-Jun-2014 15:43:16 by Wee Lamm

Mod John C

Mod John C

Jagex Moderator Forum Profile Posts by user
If any of you are still having trouble please try each of the following.

Reload your game client.
Try a different game world.
Pin codes are generated every 30 seconds, please make sure you enter the current one before it expires.
Try scanning the QR code again.

When clicking login, if the client just returns you to the Existing User button then your username or password is likely incorrect.

If you're still having trouble please send me a detailed bug report here .

23-Jun-2014 15:45:15 - Last edited on 23-Jun-2014 15:55:01 by Mod John C

Lucky lions

Lucky lions

Posts: 81 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I have an issue with it.

I tried using the sample key to test it on the site, but it keeps saying the code is invalid. The clock on my phone is updated automatically, so I'm sure it's not the clock. I've even tried entering the code the moment a new one is generated, but it still gives me the same error. What can I do to solve this issue?

- Bunny

EDIT: I rescanned the code and it worked fine. Thanks! :D

23-Jun-2014 15:45:55 - Last edited on 23-Jun-2014 15:51:14 by Lucky lions

Quick find code: 380-381-62-65435576 Back to Top