Forums

The State of PvP Blog

Quick find code: 380-381-573-66100411

Alexa y
Mar Member 2024

Alexa y

Posts: 8 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Secondly, I want to address the entrenchment among experienced pkers that often leads to complaints about weapons or styles being overpowered or underpowered. Yes, there might be some weapons in the game that are overpowered, and I won’t address specifics, whether they are or not. But please let’s consider for example BH pkers who bring only ranged and a granite maul into the wild. It’s become the meta at some combat brackets. Many of these players like to imagine the scope of their fight is shoot, maybe move around a little bit, land a good shot, then spec with the granite maul. Fair enough. But they have tunnel vision. There are many unspoken agreements, or at the most, whispered, about how much to eat is too much, whether moving around is appropriate, even whether using spells is fair. This kind of mindset is unfortunately widespread and it favors only specific styles that limit a player’s ability to avoid damage. People forget how effective Ancient Magicks freeze spells are, the value of teleblock even at low levels, and such. Hell, even eating a bit earlier is quite useful. And 1 defense is a choice, let’s not forget! Defense does wonders to reduce damage from the gmaul spec. When you’ve drawn imaginary boundaries to exclude all that other stuff that could potentially protect you from the worst your opponent has to offer, you’re going to take the brunt of it.

18-May-2019 00:44:49

Alexa y
Mar Member 2024

Alexa y

Another problem often discussed: the granite maul weapon is very cheap. At only about 34k right now it is used by players of all combat brackets. And here is where my main proposal comes in. Other players have suggested it in the past. I think it’d be good to limit the granite maul to be dropped by only one of the three monsters that currently drop it, Gargoyles, Marble gargoyles, and Grotesque Guardians, or increase the rarity, or both. Really Gargoyles were the original monster and only monster dropping the granite maul until fairly recently.
According to the Old School Runescape Wiki, Gargoyles and Marble gargoyles drop the granite maul at a rate of 1/256, “rare”. I think a bump to 1/512 or even more is perfectly reasonable to limit the supply coming into the game and raise the price. In fact, I believe this should have been done much earlier, at least in response to the many complaints.

I urge Jagex to NOT nerf this classic weapon’s special attack, but if they must tweak the weapon, instead look at small fixes they could possibly do to mitigate it, like the no-click from melee distance phenomenon or increasing the rarity. Ultimately, I do not support any nerf at all, but I’d be interested if the compromise went the route of what I suggested here instead of changing the weapon up itself.

18-May-2019 00:45:28 - Last edited on 18-May-2019 01:03:44 by Alexa y

99 Ch3wy 99

99 Ch3wy 99

Posts: 664 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Alexa y said :

I urge Jagex to NOT nerf this classic weapon’s special attack, but if they must tweak the weapon, instead look at small fixes they could possibly do to mitigate it, like the no-click from melee distance phenomenon or increasing the rarity. Ultimately, I do not support any nerf at all, but I’d be interested if the compromise went the route of what I suggested here instead of changing the weapon up itself.

I read your points, i thought they were fair, but the gmaul is fundamentally broken. Its design simply does not work right once it is implemented with other strong weapons such as ags/elder maul or other weapons in general.

Besides the glaring issues that its by far the best item to use in KO situations for every level up until 90-100 mark(which is pretty insane) while its easy to get, very little requirements, and costs nothing, an issue comes up of cheating.

Here is what most people dont get, gmaul is very susceptible to the use of ahk(auto hot keys) which is basically a script software thats free. You record your keys, and then press 1 key to repeat the action of x amount of keys your pressed. So basically you can ult with gmaul and switch into an elder maul all by 1 click, which means it becomes so very deadly when you have a weapon that insta specs 2 hits.

Besides the clear abuse part of this weapon, its still overpowered, it hits too hard, its too accurate, too cheap and too easy to use. Some of you that love this weapon and pking style are considered a minority, you can clearly see the decline of PvP in general and a lot of it has to do because of the gmaul forcing players to HAVE to use this weapon otherwise you are at a huge disadvantage.

Ive played this game since 2000 on and off, ive seen how its changed, and this meta of rushing people with a gmaul is killing this games PvP. Being ready to PvP and getting hit twice, then gmaul specced and the guy runs away and you are forced to bank is a no no.

18-May-2019 17:22:17

K I L L A

K I L L A

Posts: 160 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
HOW DARE PVMERS SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT F2P TB!!!!. They have ruined this game for pkers since day 1. Look how they are attacking f2p in this thread and they dont have 10% of the wilderness kills some of us have. WE LIVE FOR PKING. Jagex needs to put a stop to pvmers messing around with pvp updates. They are scared of wilderness and want it to be as safe as possible. MIllions of pkers have quit because [PVMers have been againts f2p tb. OMG I CANT BELIEVE that they still are fighting us. Thank god for twitch and pvp streamers, they brought back many pkers otherwise we would be in a worse position since pvmers are doing this to us.

18-May-2019 21:02:44

Alexa y
Mar Member 2024

Alexa y

99 Ch3wy 99 said :

Besides the clear abuse part of this weapon, its still overpowered, it hits too hard, its too accurate, too cheap and too easy to use. Some of you that love this weapon and pking style are considered a minority, you can clearly see the decline of PvP in general and a lot of it has to do because of the gmaul forcing players to HAVE to use this weapon otherwise you are at a huge disadvantage.

I maintain it's not an accurate weapon at all and it's mostly confirmation bias. It is maybe to pures and people with less than ideal defense or no prayers.
As far as ease of use, I don't quite agree either. I see most fights in 1 vs 1 situations end inconclusively, no kill, and the vast majority of the time the granite maul special attack isn't ideally delivered, often a tick or two off or haphazardly done to where the opponent has good time or space to heal. Can it still kill? well yeah, but most experienced pkers can weather the storm by eating once or moving backwards or freezing. I think the decline of PvP in general has more to do with the proliferation of clan-based combat which discourages deeper wilderness PKing plus less people playing the game in general, and more seeing the value of PvM in earning money.

99 Ch3wy 99 said :

Ive played this game since 2000 on and off, ive seen how its changed, and this meta of rushing people with a gmaul is killing this games PvP. Being ready to PvP and getting hit twice, then gmaul specced

I think there would be more rushers, not less, if the gmaul had extra requirements to use the 50% spec. And again, g-maulers have less incentive to rush people with a little defense or protection prayers than a sea of 1-def pure targets to choose from in the current meta. The current meta was conceived and adopted by everyone because people wanted it.
It's good business for a lot of 1 def pures against other 1 def pures.

18-May-2019 21:17:13

Alexa y
Mar Member 2024

Alexa y

I was for a long time against teleblock in f2p, but I'm not sure anymore. I still don't like the sound of it. I'd rather SNARE be f2p. Bind is next to useless.

18-May-2019 21:19:58 - Last edited on 18-May-2019 21:20:19 by Alexa y

99 Ch3wy 99

99 Ch3wy 99

Posts: 664 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I maintain it's not an accurate weapon at all and it's mostly confirmation bias. It is maybe to pures and people with less than ideal defense or no prayers.
As far as ease of use, I don't quite agree either. I see most fights in 1 vs 1 situations end inconclusively, no kill, and the vast majority of the time the granite maul special attack isn't ideally delivered, often a tick or two off or haphazardly done to where the opponent has good time or space to heal. Can it still kill? well yeah, but most experienced pkers can weather the storm by eating once or moving backwards or freezing. I think the decline of PvP in general has more to do with the proliferation of clan-based combat which discourages deeper wilderness PKing plus less people playing the game in general, and more seeing the value of PvM in earning money.

I dont know what you are looking at tbh if you dont see people KO'ing each other with the gmaul... Like honestly im confused by that statement... every fight in which a KO happens 99% of them will have the gmaul involved at least in the BH worlds and in combat levels of around 90-100 and lower its the primary finishing weapon and if there was a way to see the stats, im sure it would have the highest finishing rate at those levels.

People constantly suggest "get defense" but thats not how the game is played when you want to PvP, having a pure is and has been the meta, with some niche accounts sprinkled in. Even at 40-45 def the gmaul does great work.

I see over and over again things like "i made a gmaul account and il be doomed if it gets nerfd" as if thats the sole excuse for NOT nerfing the gmaul.... because someone cant manage to get 10 attack levels to go from 50 to 60....

The whole debate is a non issue, there are no or very few valid counter points as to why the gmaul/rushing should not be nerfd to pave the way for actual pking, and not just cast a blitz/barrage, hope it does 20+ dmg and spec with the gmaul and hope to get a ko. SMH

18-May-2019 23:42:04

Alexa y
Mar Member 2024

Alexa y

99 Ch3wy 99 said :

I dont know what you are looking at tbh if you dont see people KO'ing each other with the gmaul... Like honestly im confused by that statement ... every fight in which a KO happens 99% of them will have the gmaul involved at least in the BH worlds and in combat levels of around 90-100 and lower its the primary finishing weapon and if there was a way to see the stats, im sure it would have the highest finishing rate at those levels.

I said people are good enough to mitigate damage to where probably the majority of fights do not end conclusively (provided there's an easy escape, and for the bulk of Edgeville PKs and PvP worlds, there is). We tend to count the hits and ignore the misses.

I did not say people aren't KOing each other regularly and gmaul isn't a big contributor. It certainly is among the top contributors.

99 Ch3wy 99 said :

People constantly suggest "get defense" but thats not how the game is played when you want to PvP, having a pure is and has been the meta, with some niche accounts sprinkled in. Even at 40-45 def the gmaul does great work.

I see over and over again...

That's not how the game is played in PvP? Says who? Says our own selves when we sacrificed our defense and in many cases, prayer, in order to finish fights quickly.

At 40-45 def the gmaul does some good work, but a fraction as effective as it is against other pures. That is verifiable if not obvious. I've personally done away with the gmaul when trying to kill black chin tanks, and they are some of the slowest, most oblivious players in the game. Instead I've switched to the much more accurate darkbow because my granite maul simply was missing the vast majority of the time.

19-May-2019 07:00:46

Ph3n0mz

Ph3n0mz

Posts: 1 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Reworking Granite maul ? Really? This weapon have been in the game forever it's a CLASSIC weapon, and now, suddenly, you want to change that? Are you out of your mind JaGeX? Are you really that much out of ideas? I totally disagree with this and i am pretty damn sure a lot would disagree too. Other than this, good job.

19-May-2019 08:22:59 - Last edited on 19-May-2019 08:27:07 by Ph3n0mz

Quick find code: 380-381-573-66100411 Back to Top