Forums

Dev Blog: The Grand Exchange

Quick find code: 380-381-138-65551054

Diggydug1

Diggydug1

Posts: 4,603 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Wnp said :

I don't understand how ge makes the game easier. merching will be done regardless

Easier does not directly correlate to merching, easier is relative to how people acquire items which applies to training.

Every tradeable item in the game is accessible from a single location at a very set price. If that's not easier, what is?

09-Jan-2015 22:51:32

TooManyKinks
Oct Member 2022

TooManyKinks

Posts: 2 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I would definitely vote for the Grand Exchange.

I would like like the G.E into 2007, for starters people who say "this isn't old school with the G.E!!". G.E came out on November 26th 2007 I believe. and other people saying "bring on the mercher's" etc. There are alot of merchers now anyway so in my opinion that won't make a difference.

Also, if the G.E comes in at least it will stop the people who post stuff on the trading post with there friends list on "friends only" or "off".

Another reason why I think G.E will be good in osrs, If you need little items for a quest etc. no one might not be selling them and if your lvl isn't higher enough for the item to be crafted etc. then people would need to go out of there way to get that level, maybe lose some money on the way, then make that item, then finish the quest. Maybe turning there 20 minute quest into 3 hours maybe a day to get the level to create the item.

Also if people have little item's in there bank just laying around and people wan'* them gone most likely people will wan'* to sell them item's, even though its a little amount, and quite a few people buy in bulk, so say if they have 36 yew logs from dks etc. You would have to put 36 yew logs on the trading post and wait for people to buy and personally not many people will buy low amount's of skiling item's.

I am hopefully writing on behalf on the community that wan'* the G.E implemented into the game by saying some true facts. so for the people hating and not sure about the G.E take a second to think about the pros and cons, and maybe what the community what's and not just yourself. ;)

09-Jan-2015 22:52:06

Wnp

Wnp

Posts: 105 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Diggydug1 said :
Wnp said :

it has everything to do with it. you are talking about/voting for content that will be in the version of the game. and from what i can see you don't even play it. so with that being said leave the opinions and decisions on people who it will affect. simple, not trying to insult you directly but being honest.

So if people's total levels don't meet your standards they don't play much?

My total level was never high relative to the time I played, but I cared very much about the game. Stuck with it f2p before deciding to fully quit. Voting with my wallet, in a sense. Does that make me a less valuable player? Probably not considering I have money and Jagex is a business.

no my concern is people read these forums and base their opinions on what they see others saying, and with that everyone is entitled to their own opinions sure. but if you play the game once on release for a weekend and quit and now forums rant. i do believe that their opinion should be taken with a grain of salt

09-Jan-2015 22:53:02

Rosebuster17

Rosebuster17

Posts: 2,135 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Nooooo... Come on... Why don't you just include the ability to accept offers through the trading post instead of having to arrange meeting to trade? That way you get something like an auction house known from many other games, much more flexible than the hermetic Grand Exchange.

Correct me if I'm wrong (but I don't think I am), but the GE was developed the way it was in order to hide the actual transactions happening inside a black box so that you don't know who you're trading with, which prevents making deals with specific people. That was necessary because RuneScape had TRADE LIMITS. Grand Exchange came not long before introducing them, as you were already preparing to restrict trading and you knew you needed something like this in place before blocking trades.

We don't need this sort of black box mechanics anymore. To be honest I'd love to see it changed in modern RS as well, but that's besides the point. What I'm saying is that seeing actual offers being posted gives a lot more flexibility and makes trading as open as possible.

And Grand Exchange is a really weird creation where you post an offer, and it either works or not. Then you have to cancel if the trades aren't happening. And the prices of things are much more artificially set. As much as you try to make them adjust according to supply and demand, those mechanisms still aren't like human brain and they never follow immediate trends that may be caused by various factors. One of the downsides of that for example can be seen when new tradable items are released (or changed) with an initial GE price, but people trade it for way more / less and it takes weeks before the GE price reaches what people are comfortable with. Then everybody still asks what the street price of something is, because they can't get it from GE. (Popular question on RS3 a while back: "How much are silverhawks atm?&quot ;)

Why are you trying to put an artificial system in place instead of a natural one based on actual offers?

09-Jan-2015 22:53:03

Diggydug1

Diggydug1

Posts: 4,603 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
TooManyKinks said :
I would definitely vote for the Grand Exchange.

I would like like the G.E into 2007, for starters people who say "this isn't old school with the G.E!!". G.E came out on November 26th 2007 I believe. and other people saying "bring on the mercher's" etc. There are alot of merchers now anyway so in my opinion that won't make a difference.

Also, if the G.E comes in at least it will stop the people who post stuff on the trading post with there friends list on "friends only" or "off".

Another reason why I think G.E will be good in osrs, If you need little items for a quest etc. no one might not be selling them and if your lvl isn't higher enough for the item to be crafted etc. then people would need to go out of there way to get that level, maybe lose some money on the way, then make that item, then finish the quest. Maybe turning there 20 minute quest into 3 hours maybe a day to get the level to create the item.

Also if people have little item's in there bank just laying around and people wan'* them gone most likely people will wan'* to sell them item's, even though its a little amount, and quite a few people buy in bulk, so say if they have 36 yew logs from dks etc. You would have to put 36 yew logs on the trading post and wait for people to buy and personally not many people will buy low amount's of skiling item's.

I am hopefully writing on behalf on the community that wan'* the G.E implemented into the game by saying some true facts. so for the people hating and not sure about the G.E take a second to think about the pros and cons, and maybe what the community what's and not just yourself. ;)

To summarize the above post, it makes it easier.

09-Jan-2015 22:53:28 - Last edited on 09-Jan-2015 22:53:58 by Diggydug1

Jelle654
Jul Member 2022

Jelle654

Posts: 872 Gold Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Wnp said :
Kronus31 said :
Jelle654 said :

I'll be very disappointed if the GE is introduced into OldSchool.

I love this comment way too much, sir.

I don't understand how ge makes the game easier. merching will be done regardless

It's pretty obvious that merchanting is way easier to do when you're able to do it when you're not even playing the game.

For it making the game easier: Currently you have to look for a trade to obtain items or obtain them yourself. Both of which can be time consuming and encourage you to play the whole game. With a GE this enitre process is skipped making any tradable item obtainable in a few seconds. I think a system like that is way too OP when there's literally no downside to using it.

Also the ability to trade O/N or while at work/school removes a large planning component if you want to play efficiently or a more social aspect if you play more casually.

09-Jan-2015 22:53:48

Wnp

Wnp

Posts: 105 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Diggydug1 said :
Wnp said :

Easier does not directly correlate to merching, easier is relative to how people acquire items which applies to training.

Every tradeable item in the game is accessible from a single location at a very set price. If that's not easier, what is?

and why is this bad for the game?

09-Jan-2015 22:53:50

b0gs

b0gs

Posts: 569 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Honestly dont understand the mindset of the OSRS community...
One minute you want an update to make something more convinient, next minute you react with disgust when something more convinient is offered...

To everyone saying "its not oldschool", what does something have to be to be "oldschool"? tedious and repetative, easy in no way shape or form? A "GE" update would benefit everyone and people seems to be shunning it because other people are getting benefits they wont use/need.

Also, whats the difference between the GE and auto-trading on the trading post, besides the building? And if you supporting one but not the other, why? Personally, I think alot of the hatred towards the GE is purely stigma (and in some cases the hatred of anything RS3 related...)

The economy wouldnt be ruined either, would meerly change. As stated by mod ash, they need to be carefull adding an update like this.

couple of things I would think would be nice to have if a GE passes.
1. Being able to see recent trades between people for items. (not sure how feasable that is)
2. Real time "avg" value updated real time, or being able to see offers currently in to buy/sell * item (again idk how feasable)

~Just my 2 cents

09-Jan-2015 22:54:23

Rosebuster17

Rosebuster17

Posts: 2,135 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
All you really need is something between GE and trading post system. So that everyone can post buy and sell offers as conveniently as in the GE (with instant effect, not having to arrange meeting each other, auto-matching buy and sell offers still) while at the same time being able to see offers already posted and perhaps select from those instead of posting an offer on your own and waiting to be matched.

09-Jan-2015 22:55:31

Jelle654
Jul Member 2022

Jelle654

Posts: 872 Gold Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Original message details are unavailable.

no my concern is people read these forums and base their opinions on what they see others saying, and with that everyone is entitled to their own opinions sure. but if you play the game once on release for a weekend and quit and now forums rant. i do believe that their opinion should be taken with a grain of salt

Yeah people voting based on what mindless clan drones are saying is clearly a better idea.

09-Jan-2015 22:56:10 - Last edited on 09-Jan-2015 22:56:35 by Jelle654

Quick find code: 380-381-138-65551054 Back to Top