Forums

Stop TH Promo Oversaturation

Quick find code: 366-367-744-66105301

Theos
Aug
fmod Member

Theos

Forum Moderator Posts: 23,574 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Why is it some tokens have been allowed to become incredibly valuable, Zombie Walk, Assassin Walk, Summer Prize token for example whereas there are others which have been reintroduced to the point where the value and supply has rendered it "junk"?

I think there needs to be more consistency , and also a revaluation of how these items are introduced with consideration toward the economy and respect toward various different "styles of playing Runescape".
Forum Moderator

15-Nov-2019 03:38:19 - Last edited on 15-Nov-2019 03:40:10 by Theos

Kalea Sprite

Kalea Sprite

Posts: 1,658 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
ELITE STACK said :
~ But do you ever use any of the worthless tokens in game? The thing is no one cares about them if they are worthless ~

Once one token is unlocked, I give extras away as presents.

The issue of an oversaturation of tokens is solved by making the tokens untradeable.

Untradeable tokens would then increase the value of obtaining the token more worthwhile.

Untradeable tokens would also increase the craving to catch and care for a desired token which means the events will be anticipated for the various tokens and, this translates into increased sales.
'o.0'
Something interesting happened.

15-Nov-2019 05:20:23

Kalea Sprite

Kalea Sprite

Theos said :
~ Just because you don't see value in investing/collecting these items doesn't mean that there shouldn't be respect toward players choosing that as a hobby or even a major component of their gameplay ~

I collect things too, recently I've started a collection of First Age Coins :P

When I was still burning sharks, I would save them up and give them to those collectors that collect burnt food, I don't know why they collect burnt food, but I help them out and mostly they would buy burnt food for decent prices, I like people who collect things, for sure, it's a cool hobby.

So, an oversaturation of tokens is in the interest of collectors because it allows more people the ability to collect a max stack of their desired tokens.

Theos said :
~ I think Jagex should respect that a free market is healthy, and a necessary part of a dynamic economy ~

A healthy free market economy is competitive market.

Suppliers compete to offer lowest prices for products.

In contrast, in a monopoly or in an oligopoly the prices are fabricated to suit the whim of the seller. These are situations where the seller has the ability to dictate and extract any price without any competition.

However, perhaps your suggestion is that there should be some kind of balance of the competition among sellers?

The calculations might be a little complex, but how much competition should there be among flip/merchants?
'o.0'

15-Nov-2019 06:16:08

ELITE STACK
Mar Member 2014

ELITE STACK

Posts: 8,082 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Kalea Sprite said :
ELITE STACK said :
~ But do you ever use any of the worthless tokens in game? The thing is no one cares about them if they are worthless ~

Once one token is unlocked, I give extras away as presents.

The issue of an oversaturation of tokens is solved by making the tokens untradeable.

Untradeable tokens would then increase the value of obtaining the token more worthwhile.

Untradeable tokens would also increase the craving to catch and care for a desired token which means the events will be anticipated for the various tokens and, this translates into increased sales.

It won't matter if they are untradable. Would still be the same rarity. And the reason ppl buy keys for promotions is the fact they are tradable and try to gamble for gp.
I need my blue charms back.

15-Nov-2019 09:18:55 - Last edited on 15-Nov-2019 09:20:27 by ELITE STACK

Theos
Aug
fmod Member

Theos

Forum Moderator Posts: 23,574 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Kalea Sprite -

It seems we agreed that some players like to have collections. To simply convey my opinions on this subject without going back and forth, I think that the oversaturation and repetition of Treasurer Hunter promotions isn't effective. Reintroducing the same items, over and over again isn't effective.

I understand that Rainbow's End is recurring, popular, but this is a better executed reintroduction due to how rare it is to obtain one rainbow item and it actually gets rarer as they introduce more rainbow items. There are folks out there who use 1,000+ Treasurer Hunter keys and don't receive a single rainbow item. The new unicorn plushies, for that reason will likely be unattainable by the bulk of players unless they decide to purchase a large number of keys or use bonds.

Some tokens, such as the Boneyard tokens, certain walk animations (which are selectively introduced) is what I have a problem with. I don't like the selective reintroduction of some items. Why is it Conga Dance animation has been continuously reintroduced, and allowed to drop down to prices such as 1.5M when the Zombie Walk token is now worth over max cash? The selective reintroduction for some items, and the "blind eye" toward others gives nice food for thought to folks who start conspiracy theories...
Forum Moderator

15-Nov-2019 13:39:26

Theos
Aug
fmod Member

Theos

ELITE STACK said :
Kalea Sprite said :
Theos said :
~
In this context, I meant "status". These items start to become perceived as worthless. ~
These cosmetics appear to be presented as fun adornments rather than prestige, or as you say "status" items.

I think oversaturation is good because it prevents the abuses of flip/merch/investing.

I think it's good that there are many new cosmetics, in fact there should be even more, because it means that even players who have played for years will always discover something that they missed or haven't seen before - you're travelling through your usual routes through Runescape then, wow! There's something that's been there for a while but you've never seen it before, I think that's a really cool game experience.

But, I'm wondering why do you want to reduce the variety of cosmetics?

Also, why do you want to give the flip/merch/investors more trinkets to use for leeching wealth from the community?

Plus, what's so great about "status"? What does that mean for you?

But do you ever use any of the worthless tokens in game? The thing is no one cares about them if they are worthless. As for merch/flipping you can just ignore them.

I agree with your statement that alot of people don't care about these tokens anymore. Why would they? The Tomb Gorilla being worth only about 50k - in the modern economy that's nothing. I don't think the rarity of these items should lead to them all being in the 50m-100m+ range, but when you see the overwhelming majority of these items hitting sub 1M GP prices that's how you know there's an oversaturation issue. If you ask the average high level member, they may not even know of the existence of half of these tokens. The constant reintroduction, and oversaturation of promotions has led to them being perceived as junk.
Forum Moderator

15-Nov-2019 13:42:02

Kalea Sprite

Kalea Sprite

Theos said :
~ It seems we agreed that some players like to have collections ~

Well yeah, everyone's bank is literally a collection of stuff, although obviously some folks are more focused on collecting specific things, such as burnt food for example.

But, I think there's a difference between a collector and a flip/merch/investor.

It seems to me that a collector is simply focused on collecting stuff and isn't concerned about leeching maximum profit margins.

The difference is that the flip/merch/investor is only concerned about profit, they don't care about the item, they only care about how much the item will allow them to leech from the community.

So, I think the flip/merch/investing activity is a problem because it results in a number of abuses and leads towards an oligopoly or monopoly that controls the item, dominates the market and leeches maximum wealth from unsuspecting players.

So, why the concern about the price of tokens?

Some people claim that burnt food is junk, however there are, in fact, people that love to collect burnt food, they really care about burnt food. They often pay good prices for burnt food but they're not worried about the profit value of the burnt food, they appear to simply enjoy the comedy value of having max stacks of burnt food.

In other words, one person's junk, is another person's treasure.

If one is collecting something, simply for the enjoyment of collecting something, such as burnt food, why would there be a concern about how much the item can be used to leech wealth from the economy?
'o.0'

15-Nov-2019 17:33:38

ELITE STACK
Mar Member 2014

ELITE STACK

If someone wants to merch tokens why is that a problem? What's wrong with making billions of gp off items, already happens with partyhates and hween masks. I just don't see anything wrong with it. It's no different then making 100m/hr from pvming for 12 hours a day. I need my blue charms back.

15-Nov-2019 17:41:03 - Last edited on 15-Nov-2019 17:41:53 by ELITE STACK

ELITE STACK
Mar Member 2014

ELITE STACK

And if it's not th items ppl will just merch skilling supplies third-age second-age and t90-92 weapons and any low volume items. look at buy limit on tmw it's 1k/4 hours. Someone could easily buy out a tmw piece to 1b+. I need my blue charms back.

15-Nov-2019 17:44:54

Quick find code: 366-367-744-66105301 Back to Top