Forums

Going Too Fast!

Quick find code: 341-342-348-65797843

Bonzara

Bonzara

Posts: 1,177 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I think Jagex might end up retconning the King Arthur/Camelot storyline, too. They've mentioned before that it's something they regret doing because they don't think it fits in well with the rest of the game.

Personally I think the best approach would be a relatively conservative one: replace King Arthur with a different character, but one who is closely based on the mythological King Arthur. Thus the storyline of the entire Camelot quest series would remain intact, just with the names and faces changed a bit. Instead of being from Britain he'd originally be from Teragard and would be one of their legendary heroes. (This would open up the possibly of his returning to Teragard, and bringing the player along with him, in future quests. Other Arthurian legends, and British folklore in general, could then be used as the basis for Teragard).

Given that Teragard is divided into seven parts ruled by different families, I could actually see each part as representing a different aspect, region, or time period of Britain.

One version would be heavily urbanized and industrial, from heavy use of the Schism's power, and would have a steampunk/Victorian London aspect to it. Another part would have a Celtic feel to it, another part would resemble the Anglo-Saxon era, and yet another part might have an early-modern or Elizabethan look, etc. Another part would resemble the Danelaw (that part of Britain which was under Viking rule); this part would likely be the source of Fremennik culture.

Retconning King Arthur as a Teragardian would be a way to continue the old Camelot quest series while at the same time expanding on an area that figures a lot in Sixth Age content as well. As such, it'd be the best of both worlds.
Are you ready to enter the Mind of Rutha?

01-Jun-2016 21:32:36 - Last edited on 01-Jun-2016 21:40:23 by Bonzara

Klap Trap888

Klap Trap888

Posts: 102 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Bonzara said :

Personally I think the best approach would be a relatively conservative one: replace King Arthur with a different character, but one who is closely based on the mythological King Arthur. Thus the storyline of the entire Camelot quest series would remain intact, just with the names and faces changed a bit. Instead of being from Britain he'd originally be from Teragard and would be one of their legendary heroes. (This would open up the possibly of his returning to Teragard, and bringing the player along with him, in future quests. Other Arthurian legends, and British folklore in general, could then be used as the basis for Teragard).

Ooh I like this! Kills two birds with one stone: gets rid of old, inconsistent lore and adds new lore too!

01-Jun-2016 22:25:43

William Witt
Aug Member 2023

William Witt

Posts: 12,465 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Bonzara said :
I think Jagex might end up retconning the King Arthur/Camelot storyline, too. They've mentioned before that it's something they regret doing because they don't think it fits in well with the rest of the game.

Given that Teragard is divided into seven parts ruled by different families, I could actually see each part as representing a different aspect, region, or time period of Britain.

One version would be heavily urbanized and industrial, from heavy use of the Schism's power, and would have a steampunk/Victorian London aspect to it. Another part would have a Celtic feel to it, another part would resemble the Anglo-Saxon era, and yet another part might have an early-modern or Elizabethan look, etc. Another part would resemble the Danelaw (that part of Britain which was under Viking rule); this part would likely be the source of Fremennik culture.

Retconning King Arthur as a Teragardian would be a way to continue the old Camelot quest series while at the same time expanding on an area that figures a lot in Sixth Age content as well. As such, it'd be the best of both worlds.

This is pretty cool; I like it.

But you still know too much.
The Asgarnian ale must flow.

02-Jun-2016 02:02:42

Rondstat

Rondstat

Posts: 2,770 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I do think that momentum is important, and that stories are able to garner more investment from players, and include more subtle and intricate motifs that are carried from quest to quest, when they are released closer together. For example, the Dwarf storyline is possibly the most sophisticated, character driven questline in Runescape, however the details and character arcs become all but invisible when confined to single quest experiences. It's a story that needs to be played all together, and it got a lot of undeserving hatred when players had to wait years between installments and could no longer follow the theme.

Now, we're left in the uneasy situation where the devs have to choose between finishing older questlines that have already lost their momentum, and will only suffer more narrative dissonance the more time elapses, or maintaining momentum on the 6th Age.

Though I think it's a poor basis, Sliske's game has provided the foundation for the 6th Age, most modern quests taking MPD as a requirement. The more threads it's able to tie together by the endgame- namely Dragonkin and Zaros - the closer we'll be to having an effective conclusion, even if the major secondary and tertiary plots are left open for future 6th Age quests.

With such an efficient stopgap in place by the end of the year, I think it will be a good time to take a break from the 6th Age, and focus for the next, say, 18 months on finishing outstanding storylines.

I absolutely agree with the post at the top. We've seen massive power creep, we've become jaded on gods and universe-shaking threats. We NEED to take a step back before we lose all sense of proportion.

But more importantly, we need to stop and appreciate existing lore. Much of the 6th Age has felt abrupt and arcless because of the deliberate decision to ignore 5th Age plots in the interest of accessibility, and the lack of groundwork that has been laid.

02-Jun-2016 02:41:53

Rondstat

Rondstat

Posts: 2,770 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
A big part of the reason that WGS felt so epic was because we'd seen little hints leading up to it for years. There's nothing more satisfying than seeing a long simmering question, a long-dangling plot thread, FINALLY pay off. There's been very little of that in the 6th Age.

I'm hoping the devs take this as an opportunity. To finish existing stories, satisfy those of us who have been waiting on these plots, bring the rest of the world to the close of the 5th Age and dawn of the 6th.

BUT, perhaps even more importantly, I hope they take this opportunity to lay GROUNDWORK for future narratives they want to pursue. Ground the coming conflicts in the existing world. Establish the important players as part of the history, hint at the imminent revelations in the chronicles and secrets we uncover in our canonical pasts.

And, don't ignore the old lore any longer. Take a look at longstanding mysteries that have never been resolved. The Tower of Life. The Smoke Dungeon. Camorra. Examine these little narrative cul-de-sacs, so reminiscent of, say, Temple of Ikov in 2007. Be clever. Don;t just figure out what tale would be 'cool' to construct. Look at the puzzle pieces you've already laid out, and draw in the blanks.

02-Jun-2016 02:49:01

Sepulchre
Dec Member 2020

Sepulchre

Posts: 3,525 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Well I did have my RuneLabs idea..
2017: The End of an Age.
and it gained enough popularity that Osborne decided to add a question specifically asking about focus on newer or older questlines in 2017. Here's hoping it makes a difference, and older questlines actually win out.
That being said, my top 12 in the survey was (bear with me, I'm sure about all but the last 2 in exact order):
1. Pirate Quest
2. Underwater City
3. Desert Quest
4. Menaphos
5. Penguin Quest
6. Gnome Quest
7. Elemental Workshop V
8. Death of Chivalry II
9. Agility Rework
10. Construction rework
11. Weather system
12. Character model update
A
World Guardian
must learn to find
Balance
in themselves.
Only then can they
Control
themselves and forge their own
Fate .

02-Jun-2016 06:49:56

Hexie Kazumi
Jul Member 2012

Hexie Kazumi

Posts: 3,023 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Sepulchre said :
Well I did have my RuneLabs idea..
2017: The End of an Age.
and it gained enough popularity that Osborne decided to add a question specifically asking about focus on newer or older questlines in 2017. Here's hoping it makes a difference, and older questlines actually win out.
That being said, my top 12 in the survey was (bear with me, I'm sure about all but the last 2 in exact order):
1. Pirate Quest
2. Underwater City
3. Desert Quest
4. Menaphos
5. Penguin Quest
6. Gnome Quest
7. Elemental Workshop V
8. Death of Chivalry II
9. Agility Rework
10. Construction rework
11. Weather system
12. Character model update

Thanks, if the poll is partially your doing. But I don't know if new players or casual players will vote old. Fingers crossed that Osborne considers lorehound votes more heavily!

02-Jun-2016 08:00:48

DS Abolish

DS Abolish

Posts: 5,575 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Can't we just bring some of the 5th age quests into the 6th age? Like the Desert and Gnome quest series don't need to be resolved in the 5th age; the conflict can continue on into the 6th age to be resolved. In fact, it would be interesting to see how the reintroduction of gods influences, for instance, the Glogh, Glourphie, and Menaphos desert quest series.

02-Jun-2016 22:02:55

William Witt
Aug Member 2023

William Witt

Posts: 12,465 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
DS Abolish said :
Can't we just bring some of the 5th age quests into the 6th age? Like the Desert and Gnome quest series don't need to be resolved in the 5th age; the conflict can continue on into the 6th age to be resolved. In fact, it would be interesting to see how the reintroduction of gods influences, for instance, the Glogh, Glourphie, and Menaphos desert quest series.

Makes sense to me; The Myreque series was really the only one where the return of the gods would effectively break the storyline as far as I can see it.
The Asgarnian ale must flow.

02-Jun-2016 22:48:46

Wahisietel
Oct Member 2005

Wahisietel

Posts: 3,426 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The rest of the gnome series would definitely be set in the Sixth Age - the gnome at the thing before BOL mentioning Glouphrie, and Glouron in Prif, necessitate it being so.

Desert's in an odd spot in that Rowl*y wants them to be Fifth Age, but a conversation in MPD references Amascut's madness in the present tense. Plus the entirety of the last Halloween event, but that can easily be written off as non-canon.

Age is completely irrelevant to Elemental Workshop. Mostly irrelevant to Pirates too, since Xau-Tak was already on Gielinor in the Fifth Age. Age is also irrelevant to the Penguins as it stands currently, but I can see the appeal of tying the gods into it.
You never were our brightest star, Khazard. 'Vermin slaughtered like lambs'? What does that even mean?

02-Jun-2016 23:05:31

Quick find code: 341-342-348-65797843 Back to Top