Forums

New Seren is not Seren Thread is locked

Quick find code: 341-342-170-65656502

Britisher

Britisher

Posts: 1,276 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I joined the Seren faction on it's principles of harmony through isolationism/pacifism... The Seren faction is among the smallest in RuneScape.

With the new changes to the Seren character this faction, and we - who have followed it loyally - will be jeopardised. The Seren faction has had a bashing from Jagex, just as all others. With the subtle hint that Seren's character will be changed and the mention of her being "slightly crazy" (which is partially true although perhaps not quite so apt) it brings about the question that Jagex will manipulate the faction to appease to the Zarosian/Armadyl masses... Furthermore we face the threat of the player having the choice of deciding upon aspects of Seren's persona - this would completely undermine the individuality of the faction (it would no longer represent a specific ideal).

As such a small faction I feel very threatened by this... And with these changes to Seren it is perhaps a possibility that Jagex will seek to abandon Seren's belief of pacifism in favour of a more generic ideal... To fit into the Sixth Age and make Zaros the even more obvious choice...

If this is to be the case I intend to abandon the faction which I have followed so loyally, and perhaps even the game itself.

Thoughts?

(Also : Unlike other deities such as Saradomin - Jag have made no moves to show the redeeming qualities of Seren which have been otherwise shadowed by some of her more debatable/questionable actions - both Plague's End and Seren's memories in Prifddinas have shown such)
"Guthix was right, Gielinor is better off without its gods. I will not leave you, not again, but I will not lead you."
Seren

24-Jul-2015 18:57:12 - Last edited on 24-Jul-2015 19:07:27 by Britisher

Cthris
Dec Member 2023

Cthris

Posts: 5,206 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Well duh :P

You killed a piece of her conscience, of course she isn't going to be the same. She can never be recreated, the new Seren will be as much Seren as the Dark Lord, built up of parts of her but not her. It's the same as if you built a tower out of blocks. I could come along and destroy that tower, and put it back together, but it wouldn't be the same tower you built, it would be a tower I built, especially if I took a piece from it. It's the same with Seren.

If you want your Seren faction to remain the same pray there's an option not to rebuild her.

24-Jul-2015 19:09:41 - Last edited on 24-Jul-2015 19:10:36 by Cthris

Britisher

Britisher

Last Prophet said :
Of all the gods, I feel that Seren is the most faithful to Jagex's original vision for her.
... No!!!

The lore surrounding Seren has changed more so than any other deity in RuneScape.
Here are just a few examples:

1) FunOrb's Armies of Gielinor (2009) - Seren is included in the God Wars
2) God Emissaries (2013) - Seren is the goddess of peace and harmony: did not partake in the God Wars
3) Plague's End & Prifddinas (2014) - Seren's character is altered, showing a side less interested in peace, and more in breaking a curse upon the elves brought on by herself - "dark" side is developed.
"Guthix was right, Gielinor is better off without its gods. I will not leave you, not again, but I will not lead you."
Seren

24-Jul-2015 19:10:59 - Last edited on 24-Jul-2015 19:15:26 by Britisher

Britisher

Britisher

Cthris said :
Well duh :P

You killed a piece of her conscience, of course she isn't going to be the same. She can never be recreated, the new Seren will be as much Seren as the Dark Lord, built up of parts of her but not her. It's the same as if you built a tower out of blocks. I could come along and destroy that tower, and put it back together, but it wouldn't be the same tower you built, it would be a tower I built, especially if I took a piece from it. It's the same with Seren.

If you want your Seren faction to remain the same pray there's an option not to rebuild her.
Haluned* - the Dark Lord involved elements of the Death Altar in my opinion.

This is true, but I'm thinking more about the core aspect of Seren prior to her shattering: for example, after removing the "dark" impulses within her before she shattered herself, Seren was technically not as she was prior to this point... I am simply fearful of the route that Jagex are taking from their RuneLabs BTS'... Almost reminiscent of the popularity contest which inadvertently killed Bandos.
Seren

24-Jul-2015 19:14:27 - Last edited on 24-Jul-2015 19:15:03 by Britisher

Zulkir

Zulkir

Posts: 7,343 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I sympathise with your issues, but Seren can't just sit and do nothing in the 6th age.

The elder gods are waking up, the stone is up for grabs, the lessers and back yet again ruining Gielinor.

Every god is doing something, Zaros is devising his master plan behind the scenes, Saradomin is trying to resurrect a race, Zamorak is trying to cheat, Armadyl is... well... Alright most of the gods are doing something.

Seren can't stand there like a lemon. She has to be involved.

But I don't think she'll be changing personality wise for those who like yourself and many others will be restoring her properly, this entire hint at insanity is likely towards the people who for some reason hate her and will sabotage her.

I see her return and changes to her character as nothing but positives.

Don't abandon the faction and certainly not the game, at least wait and play through the quest and post quest before deciding that.
Zarosian Lorehound

Master Questcape Owner

Inconsistent Completionist

24-Jul-2015 21:07:14

oldndead2

oldndead2

Posts: 801 Gold Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Zulkir said :
I sympathise with your issues, but Seren can't just sit and do nothing in the 6th age.

The elder gods are waking up, the stone is up for grabs, the lessers and back yet again ruining Gielinor.

Every god is doing something, Zaros is devising his master plan behind the scenes, Saradomin is trying to resurrect a race, Zamorak is trying to cheat, Armadyl is... well... Alright most of the gods are doing something.

Seren can't stand there like a lemon. She has to be involved.

But I don't think she'll be changing personality wise for those who like yourself and many others will be restoring her properly, this entire hint at insanity is likely towards the people who for some reason hate her and will sabotage her.

I see her return and changes to her character as nothing but positives.

Don't abandon the faction and certainly not the game, at least wait and play through the quest and post quest before deciding that.

He makes a very good point
RS3
- Maxed Account/
RS3
- Ironman (Work in progress)/
OSRS
- (Play when AFK on RS3)/
Darkscape
- (Bored/abandoned)

24-Jul-2015 21:12:01

Pupppy

Pupppy

Posts: 8,778 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Agreed with lethal.

One of the best arguments that they won't turn Seren into a mindless crazy goddess is simply because Amascut already plays that role :P

I still think that, even if you try to sabotage her in the quest, it will be only a temporary madness, with some consequence on the act of her return. But, in the long run, she will have pretty much the same personality for all players - only varying her opinion on the player based on what you did there (pretty much like it was done with Zammy, Zaros, Sarah)

edit: wait is there some new information out today that I don't know about on this matter?

24-Jul-2015 21:17:17 - Last edited on 24-Jul-2015 21:19:16 by Pupppy

Solanumtinkr

Solanumtinkr

Posts: 22,240 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Seren may or may not get involved, but it will be because she either didn't have a choice or that doing nothing would be both insane and criminal. Pacifism is not as simple as doing nothing, in fact it comes in 4 flavours.

Absolute pacifism, basically sit on your hands and let them kill you. Unless you can run really fast and far. Serenists have an army so they are not this.

Active pacifism, reduce the impact of war though at the extreme never take part in anything that might support a war. Serenists have an army so they are not this.

Selective pacifism, stopping the use of weapons of mass destruction for any reason as no such war is winnable.

Conditional pacifism, they are against war in principle. but accept that sometimes war is better than the alterative. Utilitarian in nature they find war wrong, if the consequences will be bad. But as I said, sometimes war is better than the alterative.
The purpose of adventure is to shine light into dark places,
Poke monsters with a sharp stick, Then steal anything that isn't nailed down!
To the Manor Born QFC 185-186-367-65788716

24-Jul-2015 21:46:02

Cthris
Dec Member 2023

Cthris

Posts: 5,206 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
To be fair, she was already suffering from insanity to begin with

Insanity- extreme foolishness or irrationality.

The first irrational though Seren had was that the elves didn't love her for her curse. She chose to believe this, despite it putting the elves at risk.
They loved me from the first, but I did not cause it - they chose to do so! It was not a result of the control Mah instilled in me, at least, I do not believe that to be the case. It feels even more intoxicating, but I remain cogent. I can only surmise that what Mah created artificially has been manifested naturally with these beings. I see now that what Mah did to us was wrong, but this feels so right! Could it be as simple as the right to choose?

She chose what to believe, not because it's the truth, but because it's what made her feel good. Not to mention she mentions how love to her is intoxicating, that's not a very good sign.

As we all know she ended up cursing the elves by mistake due to her experiments on them, but then we really start to see her irrationality.

She would rather torture the elves then tell them the truth because it would risk them not trusting her anymore, essentially they would stop loving her after they got cured, so instead she chose to torture them.

She also didn't tell guthix for the same reason because she feared guthix would stop wanting to be around her. Guthix could probably even help her, but she's denying help because of her addiction. That is both foolish and irrational. She's clearly addicted to love.

Later she started experimenting on the elves again , experimenting on them was how she got into this mess. Einstein once said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Even Einstein would think she's insane.

By definition Seren was already insane, and that's even before she got into the death altar. If Seren is restored differently maybe this one wont be.

24-Jul-2015 22:18:04 - Last edited on 24-Jul-2015 22:20:02 by Cthris

Quick find code: 341-342-170-65656502 Back to Top