Forums

New Seren is not Seren Thread is locked

Quick find code: 341-342-170-65656502

Baedd

Baedd

Posts: 444 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I agree that making her personality based on decisions in the quest is a very bad idea. We've already seen what happens in this sort of situation with the Bandos/war faction.

We do not need another faction becoming split and unusable because of quest content (which is why a sequel to The Mighty Fall should be fairly high up on Jagex's list of things to do).

Choices having consequence and a non-linear story are great things to have in a game, but so far Jagex has tended to either throw out the player's choices in favor of a situation that happens regardless of the choice (While Guthix Sleeps, The World Wakes), or refuse to continue the story at all (The Mighty Fall, The Void Stares Back).

If they wanted to add the option to sabotage Seren's personality, they should do so in a way similar to Zaros's sabotage in Fate of the Gods, so that it doesn't affect the faction much.

I could see it working if the player was given two options for Seren: to restore her completely, or sabotage a fragment of her personality. That way, if the player wanted to sabotage Seren, the Elves could run her faction for her, so the faction wouldn't change much.

Of course, they could always pull a Hero's Welcome and force the player character to care about restoring Seren.

24-Jul-2015 23:38:32

Hazeel

Hazeel

Posts: 6,735 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
So...why do you feel threatened? Because your faction might be smaller? Why do you care? Seeing as Seren won't be in world events, you could be the only Serenist player to exist and it wouldn't make a difference. Runescape doesn't need a hero...it needs a villain. An all encompassing force of evil that will remain ever-threatening and use chaos to make the peoples of Gielinor tolerate each other, grow strong together, and fight side by side against this evil. I am that villain.

25-Jul-2015 00:38:10

Ramooona

Ramooona

Posts: 268 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Man, I feel like the community team really missed an opportunity here. With all the different forum competitions they've been running this month, they forgot the most obvious one - Gielinor's Most Persecuted Faction! Instead of boring crap like conservation and endangered species, they should have a special edition of "The Drop" based entirely around imagined slights from the developers towards their own fictional characters.

25-Jul-2015 00:45:51

iXavior

iXavior

Posts: 390 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
There is always Marimbo... She said she wasn't interested in Sliske's tournament or the Stone of Jazz... And if the war does make it to Ape Atoll, she said that she'd take her followers on another plane and isolate them there. Marimbo has similar beliefs to Seren, but Marimbo is more fun. Alchohol and "pleasure" all day everyday. A teenager's dream! No bullsh*t, no responsibilities, just fun fun fun! :D

Also can you state your source where you heard that Seren's personality is going to change to "crazy" with the release of next month's quest? If it's one of the QA videos, give me the minutes of where they start mentioning her (I don't want to listen to the whole thing.)
I worship Mah, for she is mah homegirl! The correct adjective for Mah's followers are: Mahomies, Mah-homeboys, or Mah-homegirls.

25-Jul-2015 01:42:14 - Last edited on 25-Jul-2015 02:16:47 by iXavior

Jimothey
Apr Member 2010

Jimothey

Posts: 4,425 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Zulkir said :
I sympathise with your issues, but Seren can't just sit and do nothing in the 6th age.

The elder gods are waking up, the stone is up for grabs, the lessers and back yet again ruining Gielinor.

Every god is doing something, Zaros is devising his master plan behind the scenes, Saradomin is trying to resurrect a race, Zamorak is trying to cheat, Armadyl is... well... Alright most of the gods are doing something.

Seren can't stand there like a lemon. She has to be involved.

But I don't think she'll be changing personality wise for those who like yourself and many others will be restoring her properly, this entire hint at insanity is likely towards the people who for some reason hate her and will sabotage her.

I see her return and changes to her character as nothing but positives.

Don't abandon the faction and certainly not the game, at least wait and play through the quest and post quest before deciding that.
This. Couldn't have put this in better words myself.

And to add: We're the World Guardian! It's an open world, and we're given the opportunity to change it. All we have to do is act. If you really want, you can stop worshipping Seren. All you're asked to do is to not stray from your path. It's not Seren's, it's not Zaros' or Zamorak's or Saradomin's, Armadyl's or any other person's! It's yours.
Roses are grey, violets are grey, I'm in Pompeii, I'm lost.

25-Jul-2015 02:24:59

Last Prophet

Last Prophet

Posts: 3,433 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Britisher said :
Last Prophet said :
Of all the gods, I feel that Seren is the most faithful to Jagex's original vision for her.
... No!!!

The lore surrounding Seren has changed more so than any other deity in RuneScape.
Here are just a few examples:

1) FunOrb's Armies of Gielinor (2009) - Seren is included in the God Wars
2) God Emissaries (2013) - Seren is the goddess of peace and harmony: did not partake in the God Wars
3) Plague's End & Prifddinas (2014) - Seren's character is altered, showing a side less interested in peace, and more in breaking a curse upon the elves brought on by herself - "dark" side is developed.

Her involvement in the God Wars has little bearing on her personality.

I'd like to think of the Dark Lord as an extension of Seren rather than a re-write of her character. She's still, to this day, protective to the last of her elves.

I really don't know what you think has changed about her.
+
Last Prophet
+

~Creator of
Ikadia the Exile
~

25-Jul-2015 02:53:40

iXavior

iXavior

Posts: 390 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
where does it say that you will get to sabotage Seren's personality? I want to see :/ I worship Mah, for she is mah homegirl! The correct adjective for Mah's followers are: Mahomies, Mah-homeboys, or Mah-homegirls.

25-Jul-2015 09:49:29

Britisher

Britisher

Posts: 1,276 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Cthris said :
Insanity- extreme foolishness or irrationality.
Please stop pushing this, insanity is a serious mental illness, there is little evidence to suggest that Seren was insane: all actions which she took have clear and conscious reasoning (when taken in context Seren had clear grounds to do so, whether moral or amoral) rather than being influenced by the mental illness itself (no signs of it's many symptoms such as hallucinations or delusions). Furthermore this is irrelevant to the discussion.

There is a difference between ignorance and irrational: something you appear to overlook. Irrationality is something without logic or reasoning - it is already well established what Seren's motives were... So your suggestion that "her first sign of irrationality was when she met the elves" is incorrect - this was in fact ignorance on her part for failing to comprehend or understand the elves relationship with her.

Your quotes regarding Einstein is very questionable, often seen by many as a misquote.

You also fail to consider that Seren's "experiments" with the elves were different in nature, therefore this does not fit into your false definition of insanity anyway!
"Guthix was right, Gielinor is better off without its gods. I will not leave you, not again, but I will not lead you."
Seren

25-Jul-2015 11:14:33 - Last edited on 25-Jul-2015 11:15:12 by Britisher

Britisher

Britisher

Posts: 1,276 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Baedd said :
If they wanted to add the option to sabotage Seren's personality, they should do so in a way similar to Zaros's sabotage in Fate of the Gods, so that it doesn't affect the faction much.
This is perhaps my biggest fear: I agree with this.
"Guthix was right, Gielinor is better off without its gods. I will not leave you, not again, but I will not lead you."
Seren

25-Jul-2015 11:16:56

Quick find code: 341-342-170-65656502 Back to Top