Forums

No, it's NOT Okay

Quick find code: 309-310-746-63888926

[#4VU7PXU6T]

[#4VU7PXU6T]

Posts: 1,765 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I see many people on the forums saying things such as "As long as Solomon's store only sells cosmetic item, I don't mind it". I'm here to tell you why this kind of attitude is unhealthy for this game.

1) It encourages Jagex:
-Jagex sees that people are fine with this kind of stuff, and they start to release more things similar to this.
-Infact, if you can look at things such as Runefest items (flagstaff, hood, and golden scythe) and game card items, you can see people seem to have said similar things (even though the Katana had stats). The same thing goes for RaF, even though it gave a clear ingame advantage ("It doesn't affect you, so why are you complaining?" )

2) Jagex has slowly started to convince us that RWT is fine when they do it.
-Going with the past example, you can see that Jagex has released similar updates, but let's see how they've gradually evolved:
--Bonus XP Weekend (Not bad, just a member's thing)
--Runefest items (Sure, it's only cosmetic stuff for Runefest goers)
--Game Card Promotional items (Well, it's just an "add-on" for membership)
--Refer-a-friend (It doesn't affect you, and it's just an "add-on" for membership, but it does give people that have more money more xp)
--Loyalty Programme (It's just a bonus for continued membership, but it does give huge advantages in game with Auras)
--Squeal of Fortune (Well, you can still get spins through the game, but people with money can just get xp really easily)
--Solomon's Store (Oh, you get 200 free coins, but there is no possible way to get the items without having a large IRL bank)
--???

~Bromato

18-Jul-2012 18:41:23 - Last edited on 09-Sep-2013 04:06:20 by [#4VU7PXU6T]

[#4VU7PXU6T]

[#4VU7PXU6T]

3) It DOES give an ingame advantage to those that care about looks.
-Believe it or not, people on this game actually care about how they look, and how many emotes they have.
-For example, currently a purely cosmetic item, the Top hat, is worth 229k coins, and it gets even higher when you start looking at partyhats and other rares.
-People actually spend their loyalty points on emotes and costumes instead of auras, which shows that there are many people that care a bit more about their looks than about how much they can hit.
-Jagex has even dedicated whole servers to roleplaying, so they can't deny it isn't a part of the game.
-"... one of our fundamental philosophies is that having fun is more important to us than making as much money as possible..." - Mark Gerhard, Chief Executive Officer of Jagex. (Thanks TeahhBag)

4) Look at games such as Maplestory that had the same things happen to them
-Insight Venture [Partners also took over Maplestory, another old popular game, and made the developers program things exactly like this Solomon General Store, and now they have something called a "Cash Shop" where you can buy stuff such as the "Hyper Teleport Rock" (which sounds cool, but I have no idea what it does EDIT: It let's you teleport everywhere)

5) "It helps support Jagex, a company I like" - NO
-Since Insight Venture [Partners holds above 50% of the share of Jagex, most of the money goes to them.
-The money Jagex makes from the store will just be used to develop new items for the store:
--|From Mod Emilee in 309-310-1-63885289:
---|Why are you charging for items?
The new Customisation System requires a lot more development effort per item, and we're also taking longer when making the content to make sure it's extra special. By charging for the items themselves it means we don't pass on these costs on to those who aren't interested in using them.

~Bromato

18-Jul-2012 18:41:33 - Last edited on 20-Jun-2013 02:56:47 by [#4VU7PXU6T]

[#4VU7PXU6T]

[#4VU7PXU6T]

6) Future game updates will be add-ons given through SGS.
-People are posting ideas on this forum, and then saying that they'd be willing to pay x runecoins for their graphical update.
-If things go as these people want them to go, all future cosmetic items and animation updates will be sold for Runecoins, and these people will actually buy them.

For those that are too lazy to look up Stockholm's Syndrome:

"Stockholm syndrome is a psychological phenomenon in which hostages express empathy and have positive feelings towards their captors, sometimes to the point of defending them. These feelings are generally considered irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims, who essentially mistake a lack of abuse from their captors for an act of kindness."-W*kipedia

7) It IS RWT
-"4th June, 2007 - Update: Real world trading is against the rules!
"We would like to remind everyone again that buying RuneScape gold/items for real world money is against the rules and will result in a permanent ban."
-There is no mention of 3rd parties anywhere in the update. Jagex only used the word "3rd party" when talking about macro programs; it has only recently become a part of their stance on RWT.
-Real world trading is anything involving real world cash. Membership can be defined as real world trading, but the awesome thing about membership is that its benefits cannot affect the F2P environment. If everyone who bought runecoins was forced into their own worlds, then that might be fine.
-"A lot of the free offerings are sadly misleading because they're not. Most of them rely on the microtransaction system, which is really a stealth tax; I prefer to call it death by a thousand cuts," ... "Commercially you can say it's a great opportunity, the way of the future. Ethically you can say it devalues the product."
- Mark Gerhard, on Is Sony's new online game cashing in on our kids? (Thanks EP LOGOUT)

~Bromato

18-Jul-2012 18:41:34 - Last edited on 20-Jun-2013 02:57:11 by [#4VU7PXU6T]

[#4VU7PXU6T]

[#4VU7PXU6T]

EDIT: The more I read this forum, the angrier I become. I CAN'T BELIEVE SO MANY OF YOU PEOPLE ARE ACTUALLY SUPPORTIVE OF JAGEX ON THIS ISSUE.

EDIT2: THEY'RE NOW SELLING BANK SPACES; This is to all those people who still suffer from supporting Jagex.

EDIT3: Jagex has just released buyable pets that do give an in-game advantage, and they admit it.

Original message details are unavailable.

Legendary pets ... have a number of useful gameplay functions too, such as gathering dropped items and depositing items to your bank.

~Bromato

18-Jul-2012 18:41:35 - Last edited on 13-Jul-2013 00:15:19 by [#4VU7PXU6T]

Exfield
Apr Member 2011

Exfield

Posts: 7,353 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I like buyable costumes that go over my armor. U mad bro?
If you are, I don't know why you are actually :)
Maybe go mow some more lawns??
(Half-sarcasm)
EDIT:
I lol at all you guys that call this RWT. It's called micro-transactions. RWT is me selling X item for Y $. I'm a player, so it's called that way. Jagux does it, so it's called MT. Learn the differences already, else you sound dumb.
Exploring the RuneScape world since 2005.
Evolution of Combat, the
Superior
Combat.

18-Jul-2012 19:57:23 - Last edited on 23-Jul-2012 19:01:27 by Exfield

Rawr Tonyz
Dec Member 2023

Rawr Tonyz

Posts: 2,837 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
rwt is not fine!! Andrew made that perfectly clear!! can u believe its still one of the rules??? soo if jagex breaks their own rule, does that mean i can break the rules too without penalty?
Hypocrites....

18-Jul-2012 20:02:17 - Last edited on 18-Jul-2012 20:02:33 by Rawr Tonyz

Glass Dagger

Glass Dagger

Posts: 400 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Say no to cosmetic shops, right now cosmetics seem harmless, that is true. However the more people buy cosmetics, the more jagex will want to sell exp, armour and good weapons. It starts with cosmetics it ends with exp. I have seen this happen in other mmos.
"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape."
-jagex Too late.

18-Jul-2012 20:03:54

God Vivec

God Vivec

Posts: 423 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
1) It encourages Jagex:
Even with everyone against sof they didn't remove it, nor even change it.
so to think they'll do it to something in which there aren't even close to the numbers against it, it's just unrealistic.
2) Jagex has slowly started to convince us that RWT is fine when they do it.
they worst part about this is that they really haven't come out with a firm statement.
grow a pair jagex.
3) It DOES give an ingame advantage to those that care about looks.
Looks don't help you progress in the game, so that is a pointless argument.
the reason certain cosmetics are such high prices is not because the looks, but because they are discontinued or rare.
4)they have something called a "Cash Shop" where you can buy stuff such as the "Hyper Teleport Rock" (which sounds cool, but I have no idea what it does)
If you have no idea what it does then why are you even referring to this? do a little research before you post random games.
5) "It helps support Jagex, a company I like" - NO
Actually it does. IVP gets a CUT of the money, not most of it.
"-The money Jagex makes from the store will just be used to develop new items for the store: " So your saying they put the money right back into updates? Man what a horrible thing!

18-Jul-2012 23:34:56 - Last edited on 18-Jul-2012 23:35:31 by God Vivec

Quick find code: 309-310-746-63888926 Back to Top