Forums

Remove captcha on forums.

Quick find code: 278-279-776-66218003

Mrs Ana

Mrs Ana

Posts: 8,998 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Megycal said :
I'm confused about why I sometimes get the "I'm not a bot" interface pop up when I log
out
. I can understand it when people log
in
but why have it when people are leaving the site?? O_o
Yea, this is so strange. It's like it does not want you to log out XD.

09-Jun-2021 16:32:48

Spearmint30
Apr Member 2012

Spearmint30

Posts: 23,350 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Amascutian said :
Spearmint30 said :
Megycal said :
I'm confused about why I sometimes get the "I'm not a bot" interface pop up when I log
out
. I can understand it when people log
in
but why have it when people are leaving the site?? O_o
Same happens here. To water out the technical explanation, think of it like this: You use the same door to, both, go in and out of your house. The bot detection is like a guard hired at the door that's been told to validate anyone using the door, so the guard doesn't care whether you're coming in or going out.
Well, sorry to say but this guard is dumber than the guard at the Black Knight Fortress because he can validate people going in only.
I don't think it would be impossible to rework the system to only be checked on the way in, it would just require work to the login/logout process and make them not use the same module being protected. That said, it's not that this guard can't , it's just that the guard was programmed not to care - if that makes any sense.
Amascutian said :
I've got a question. Can we use captcha to banish bots from Runescape? 1 captcha that randomly pops up during a game session when using a bank or deposit box? Would it stop them?
This used to be a thing in the RuneScape Classic days via the fatigue system. After skilling for some time, you'd become too fatigued to gain any more experience, so you had to find a bed (or be carrying a sleeping bag in your inventory) to rest. Waking up from rest required solving a text-based CAPTCHA-like puzzle. It didn't work as well as you'd imagine as many bot makers at the time had plug-ins to solve these, some of which sent screenshots of the puzzle to other bot users to be solved remotely.

As far as website logins go, there's not really people looking to stay logged into the site for gains.
Spearmint30

¤
Food scientists have finally managed to remove the mint flavor from gum! The ex-spearmint was a success!
¤

09-Jun-2021 16:57:36

Spearmint30
Apr Member 2012

Spearmint30

Posts: 23,350 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Amascutian said :
So captchas wouldn't be effective ingame because they can be solved by plug-ins but they work effectively and provide security on the Forums? Sorry, I'm not an expert on this, Idk how bots operate
Right. I'm all for measures to hit cheaters hard and fast, but there's nothing to gain by using a browser plug in to solve a CAPTCHA just to log in to manage your account or post on the forums. On the other hand, there's a lot to gain when you have something solving CAPTCHAs in-game allowing cheaters to run their accounts entirely unattended for hours on end.
Spearmint30

¤
Food scientists have finally managed to remove the mint flavor from gum! The ex-spearmint was a success!
¤

09-Jun-2021 17:43:24

Mexk
Aug
fmod Member

Mexk

Forum Moderator Posts: 19,605 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I do not mind so much having to complete a CAPTCHA when continuously connecting through different IPs and devices. However, having authorised on one IP and device pair, the CAPTCHA should not trigger the same way the two-step verification prompt should not trigger thanks to the cookie already stored.
¸,.•
Mexk
•.,¸

Stand up for what is right, even if you stand alone
¨`'°«„¸¸„»°'
'°«„¸¸„»°'´¨

10-Sep-2021 18:03:15

Zangover
Nov Member 2023

Zangover

Posts: 23 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Having to captcha on every single google login, meaning ingame and on forums, is irritating and exhausting. I guess I just won't login through google anymore, it was convenient before but now it's the opposite of convenient, having to take a test every time you try to log in.

I even had to do ANOTHER captcha just to make this post after I captcha'd to log into the forums! Ridiculous!

17-Sep-2021 12:31:55

Colin560

Colin560

Posts: 170 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I come to the forums everyday to check on Vis wax stuff and rarely had to do a captcha but starting last week I don't remember exactly when, I have had to do a captcha every single day and its getting very annoying is something like wrong on my end flagging it every day or what.

Also had to do one to post this.

17-Sep-2021 20:02:07 - Last edited on 17-Sep-2021 20:02:25 by Colin560

Chief Elf
Apr Member 2017

Chief Elf

Posts: 5,115 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I’m going to be honest.. I’m at this point where I can’t recognise the difference between trains and trucks anymore.. Like why do they look so similar? The angle of that truck looks like a train..

You would think the human brain would make me better at discriminating these visuals but nope.. it’s making me worse. Why am I like this?

—-

Could we petition Mod Lyon to change to a different vehicle? What about the bridges images I think that’s fine.
Mental Health
|
Sweaty Fingers
|
Mod Meadows

26-Sep-2021 04:33:29 - Last edited on 26-Sep-2021 04:34:03 by Chief Elf

Citi Bank

Citi Bank

Posts: 3,690 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Literally every 10 mins on any part of the RS website except the homepage, I am asked to do 2 puzzles and identify all the trucks, planes, etc. Super annoying. Hard to engage in meaningful discussion on forums when I'm spending all my time doing these stupid captcha things.
~Citi

Visit the Item Discussion Chat Lounge!
PM me to buy/ sell rares! DM me on Discord: citi bank rs#7186

27-Sep-2021 05:04:06

Quick find code: 278-279-776-66218003 Back to Top