Forums

W&F Discussion and Chat Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 278-279-715-65175740

Maynne

Maynne

Forum Moderator Posts: 52,416 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
No need for that kind of post here NexOrigin. You know the drill if you disagree with an fmod's action. The team has a protocol to follow, and that didn't came from random people - but from Jagex.

18-Feb-2021 20:26:25 - Last edited on 19-Feb-2021 14:06:49 by Maynne

The contents of this message have been hidden.

18-Feb-2021 20:36:18

Joel
Feb
fmod Member

Joel

Forum Moderator Posts: 32,974 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
@Nex, just noticed your post on the last page and felt it worth a reply since I believe it concerns some threads in this forum from yesterday.

Just to clarify, in a lot of cases I think a lot of us would (and I can speak to me personally, that I have and do often not immediately lock such threads). However, in some instances as was the case yesterday, a very clear response with feedback with regards to the topic at hand was given not from an FMod, but from Jagex that also came with a lock. That should have been the end of it and not be followed up with nothing but further disruptive threads (not even really anything seeking further clarification).

So yeah, in some instances, the context of a situation may shift the course of action that may be taken. :)
Joel

Need support? Support Centre | Forum Help

19-Feb-2021 15:40:51

NexOrigin

NexOrigin

Posts: 2,592 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Joel said :
I believe it concerns some threads in this forum from yesterday.
Not specifically. I see it happen often enough on the forums that's not anything related to a specific incident, by any specific user. Sometimes I'm even the one who is creating the threads. But it's not about anything specific, it's just some de-escalation techniques.

I get it though, you're claiming all the actions fall on Jagex, and Jagex policy, which is fine. I know you guys have to follow policy. And if you're not following policy, you can be reported on FMR.

But, um, if you're following policy, as claimed, then why can't it be discussed? Since when has Jagex or Jagex policy not been up for discussion? lol :p

All things aside, I'm just trying to give a bit of de-escalation advice. That's it. The end goal is a forum running as smoothly as possible, for both the community and the management, right?

It's not like I don't have experience managing the community. Rants was a cesspool. lol.

A little psychology can go a long ways sometimes, for both parties involved. ;)

I do appreciate the response. Thanks! :)
I'm better than you, but that doesn't mean you're not great! :)

19-Feb-2021 16:01:10 - Last edited on 19-Feb-2021 16:02:20 by NexOrigin

Joel
Feb
fmod Member

Joel

Forum Moderator Posts: 32,974 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Absolutely, and over the years there's been countless situations (especially when the forums were at their most active) where I and I've seen other FMods do it too, leave a thread open if it stops someone from creating thread upon thread and to contain disruption or allow for further dialog if its suitable, and for me personally, I will usually opt to do that more times than I don't.

Prime example of something kinda similar was yesterday where a part of a person's OP wasn't appropriate but overall the thread was actually decent so rather than flat out lock it and ask the OP to repost without the inappropriate bits, thought it was better to offer time to edit those parts out which worked out well.

That's not to say every decision works out well or ends in the way originally intended but we try, and on the flip side of that as well (and not referring to any specific situation past or present) we can't always show the same level of leniency as it may not always be appropriate and sometimes those sorts of instances can be more open to judgement so opinions may differ, which, we're all human so unavoidable :)
Joel

19-Feb-2021 16:53:09

NexOrigin

NexOrigin

Posts: 2,592 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Joel said :
Prime example of something kinda similar was yesterday where a part of a person's OP wasn't appropriate but overall the thread was actually decent so rather than flat out lock it and ask the OP to repost without the inappropriate bits, thought it was better to offer time to edit those parts out which worked out well.
I like that. It means one less locked thread in the forums. It's a bit disheartening when you're going through the forums and there's just so many locked threads.

It's not always anyone's fault either sometimes.

Like, when someone accidentally clicked the "new post" button a bunch of times, and ends up making duplicate threads. All those extra threads have to be locked. That could be easily fixed by changing the forum activity limit from 5 threads per 15 minutes to 1 thread per 3 minutes. That would prevent additional threads from being created, and still allow players the same amount of "threads per hour". If someone needs to make 2 threads, the most they would have to wait is 3 minutes. It doesn't impede significantly, and would resolve the whole duplicate threads issue.

When I'm scrolling through the forums and I see all the locked threads, I'm always thinking "how could this have been avoided?" because it really doesn't look good. It gives the forums a negative vibe, regardless of how threads ended up being locked.

Obviously some can't be avoided, like moved threads. It's a shame they have a lock item, instead of something like a blue arrow to indicate they've been moved, and not locked (yes, I'm aware of the "moved" in the title).

But, um, as interesting question... what percent of the forums do you think consist of locked threads? I'd be interested in finding out.

I mean, I don't want to bother having to write a script to do it for me, but, you know, if someone else knew, that would be interesting. lol
I'm better than you, but that doesn't mean you're not great! :)

19-Feb-2021 17:22:46

Joel
Feb
fmod Member

Joel

Yeah sometimes I think it would be nice to have a hard hide feature (which used to be the case on the old/previous forum software) where posts and threads used to not appear at all (rather than leave a hidden post/thread message).

It did have a weird result though that if you hid a full page of posts on a thread, a user could still see that page but it would be empty lol

If we ever get the chance to get a forum update, the list of updates that everyone would want is obviously loooong haha
Joel

19-Feb-2021 17:27:15

19-Feb-2021 18:01:45

19-Feb-2021 18:13:04

Quick find code: 278-279-715-65175740 Back to Top