Forums

Let us block forum users

Quick find code: 278-279-383-66253160

Draco Burnz
Dec Member 2011

Draco Burnz

Posts: 79,296 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
2_Tron said :
I don't see any purpose for a 'blocking feature' of any kind as it will only provoke 'twisted discussions/conversations' that are totally useless in terms of genuine feedback Jagex/JMods are looking for.

Exactly.

Just learn to ignore ppl you dislike like you have to IRL and move on with your life.
Draco Burnz
Anime Fanatic
Defender of the logical

21-May-2022 13:54:35

Spearmint30
Apr Member 2012

Spearmint30

Posts: 23,350 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Draco Burnz said :
Yes it does create an echo chamber as the person who has it hidden doesnt see the posts thus only sees what they want to see.

Which is posts that only agree with them.
Draco Burnz said :
Just learn to ignore ppl you dislike like you have to IRL and move on with your life.
Can you please explain to me the difference between ignoring a post and ignoring a post? You keep telling me one creates an echo chamber, but then tell everyone to ignore the post anyways.

If I'm going to ignore it like I have to do IRL anyways, right, then what's the difference between pretending it isn't there and just not seeing it? If either way it is being ignored, I see no fundamental difference. Miles Prower said :
I think with the correct implementation, any counter-argument to this can be addressed by the simple fact that it is up to the individual how they choose to use a blocking feature. It is far from the definition of an echo chamber because in an echo chamber, the disagreeing party is not in the room. That would be akin to banning the individual, which is not what is being proposed here.
Yes, exactly. As proposed, it is exactly the same as pretending the post doesn't exist only without the pretending part.
Spearmint30

¤
Food scientists have finally managed to remove the mint flavor from gum! The ex-spearmint was a success!
¤

21-May-2022 19:08:12 - Last edited on 21-May-2022 19:13:28 by Spearmint30

Draco Burnz
Dec Member 2011

Draco Burnz

You're not really "ignoring" a post if you have click a button or w/e to hide it.

Plus its not like you can do this IRL so take some of that practice and use it here.

Its really not that hard to simply not read posts of ppl you get annoyed by just like its simple to ignore ppl who do so IRL.
Draco Burnz
Anime Fanatic
Defender of the logical

22-May-2022 05:22:09

Spearmint30
Apr Member 2012

Spearmint30

Who said anything about having to click a button to hide it?

1) Add person to ignore list
2) Person's posts just don't show up for you

Makes the simply not reading a post more simple.
Spearmint30

¤
Food scientists have finally managed to remove the mint flavor from gum! The ex-spearmint was a success!
¤

22-May-2022 07:05:07

Draco Burnz
Dec Member 2011

Draco Burnz

Spearmint30 said :
Who said anything about having to click a button to hide it?

1) Add person to ignore list
2) Person's posts just don't show up for you

Makes the simply not reading a post more simple.

Draco Burnz said :
You're not really "ignoring" a post if you have click a button or w/e to hide it.

Bolded the important part.

Once again, take the lessons of ignoring ppl irl and apply them here.
Draco Burnz
Anime Fanatic
Defender of the logical

22-May-2022 15:41:18

Spearmint30
Apr Member 2012

Spearmint30

That's good advice for the meantime, but hopefully Jagex might one day be able to address this suggestion. I doubt I'd ever use it myself either, but that's no reason for me to reject an idea that might help others in some meaningful way.
Spearmint30

¤
¤

22-May-2022 17:43:08

Mel 624
Dec Member 2021

Mel 624

Posts: 744 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
@Draco Burnz

Not having anything more to say/being too busy to continue the conversation =/= ignoring. Those are perfectly natural ways of ending a conversation. Even in a written medium it isn't always feasible to continue a conversation you still have things to say about. There's also a difference between not participating in a topic you're uninterested in and making a decision to ignore a specific person you feel negatively about.

People's senses and information processing don't come with an off switch. You can't unhear/unsee things you don't want to see/hear so it's disingenuous to present scrolling past unwanted comments that can potentially take up most of your screen as an easy and flawless way of avoiding people you don't want to interact with. There's no guarantee your eyes won't catch on words or you won't perceive the gist of what was written despite your efforts to ignore it. An actual ignore function is an easy solution to that problem by actually making it possible to reliably ignore those comments as you intended to do anyway without all the extra effort it would take to deal with them otherwise.

This is a problem IRL too which is why we have things like noise regulations and the ability to physically remove people if they're found to be disruptive. The nice thing about a forum ignore feature is that it addresses problems people have with other forum users without requiring that one leaves for the other's sake if things have yet to escalate to a degree that's deemed rule breaking. It also helps keep things from escalating to that degree if both often frequent the same parts of the forum.
How to block a forum user

Death And Taxes: An Analysis

22-May-2022 23:05:34

Draco Burnz
Dec Member 2011

Draco Burnz

Mel 624 said :

Nope, forums are not meant to be echo chambers and are meant to allow all forums of discussion.

So this would be impeding on the allowing part. Just because ppl have beef with others isnt a reason why their POV should be silenced for certain ppl.

Ppl around here really need to learn to grow up and start taking responsibility for their actions.

If you're going to get into arguments, expect to have ppl you dislike.
Draco Burnz
Anime Fanatic
Defender of the logical

23-May-2022 11:31:38

Mel 624
Dec Member 2021

Mel 624

Posts: 744 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Explain exactly how this in any way qualifies as creating an echo chamber. As you keep saying, you have no problem with people ignoring eachother, which by your logic would do exactly that. The thing is, you can't force people to interact with eachother and the whole point of an ignore function is to be used when you were already planning to avoid interacting with that person anyway. It won't change any existing player interaction aside from reduce the number of times someone lashes out at another user that's been aggravating them, which wouldn't be constructive anyway.

Maybe you've been lucky enough to never be bothered enough by someone else that it negatively affected your ability to have discussions on the forums but not everyone has that luxury. This isn't just about disliking someone as not everyone that's disliked would reach the point of getting ignored by the affected player. This is about situations where players find themselves no longer enjoying the forum because they're being aggravated by another player in a non actionable manner. This is about when someone fears posting on a topic because they expect to have to deal with another forum user they're trying to avoid and the dissatisfaction and resentment that kind of environment can create. This is about all those times someone gets disciplined for lashing out in frustration at a player that wouldn't need to happen if an ignore function existed.

You don't know what's going on with other people mentally and emotionally, you can't say for certain what kind of long term toll their negative experiences are having on them. You don't know if it's giving them anxiety, stress or keeping them from speaking up the way they normally would. To tell people to grow up like they're just being childish about something meaningless completely misses the kinds of problems that could be going on that people are trying to address.
How to block a forum user

Death And Taxes: An Analysis

23-May-2022 19:01:43

Quick find code: 278-279-383-66253160 Back to Top