Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Body btw said :
Wow.......... I seriously did not know this. I knew sometimes Adblock messed with things but I did not know it was to this extent. I thought it was usually the user messing with settings (like me) and blocking things by accident.

Wellp. I've officially disabled Adblock for RSOF

There are plenty of times when I need to make changes to make things run properly, I don't deny that. Even right now I don't even know if this is the case with Evil Lucario's issue. I can't say what the cause is, nor do I even know where to begin.

But now you can see it makes it really hard for me to determine the root of some issues. I can't do anything about other software that interacts with the browser. That's the users choice to use stuff that indiscriminately blocks content, or that seemly takes a crude guess at what should be blocked.

All development and testing for RS Linkify is done on a clean OS install, fully updated, with the latest version of chrome. No canary or dev builds are used because they are not guaranteed to be stable or represent the final builds. No other browser plugins are installed or third party apps other than antivirus/firewall with up to date definitions.

Everything is tested on a clean system always. If something works for me and not for my users I have to conciser it's on their end. But at the same time I wont just write-off reports of issues because it works for me.

I don't use any form of ad block (I quickly installed ablock plus just to show before/after examples in my post on the previous page, then removed it). I'm much happier without it. Any site I find that's over the top with ads I don't revisit. I have no issue with ads that are not noisy or blinding as long as they don't popup or obscure content. I'm happy to support most sites with ad impressions if they are half tasteful. But that's another topic altogether :)

21-Apr-2016 10:51:47 - Last edited on 21-Apr-2016 11:21:38 by Indecent Act

Body btw

Body btw

Posts: 19,488 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The more I use/learn about ABP (Adblock Plus) the less I like it. It's not the hidden gem I once thought it was... I remember Joe bringing up that ABP intentionally allows some ad's to get by because the site is paying ABP to force ads, which breaks the entire purpose of me using ABP.

Hmm.. I will start actively disabling ABP on sites I am familiar with and/or trust. I still find it useful for when I'm browsing random sites that I've never visited or don't intend to visit for very long.
"Why are you posting threads, asking questions and making discussion???"

All I do anymore is fish - 2017

21-Apr-2016 11:57:39

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Yes that issue with adblock allowing ads has been happening for a while. But it's goes much deeper than most people think.

If I were a big enough site I could pay adblock 30% of my ad revenue to them. In return they'd leave my site alone. But because I'm not big enough to do that I'd have to pay them many thousands (not 100% sure on the amounts but it's a lot) of dollars a month so they leave me alone.

Basically if I want to cover my costs through advertising I have to pay protection money, and lots of it. That is akin to extortion.

Compare what Adblock does to organized crime. A gang’s extortion racket will demand a monthly fee under the threat of violence and/or prevent you from doing business.

Adblock is not much different. Rather than beat me up, they cut off my only source of revenue.

My site displays one single ad, no audio, no popups, no obscuring page content, no politics, no religion, no gambling, and only family friendly content. One single ad that meets those conditions and I can't even have that.

If more of my visitors allowed that one ad to show I could actually inject more money into my site thus expand many Linkify features that depend on my server.

Currently I get billed for my generosity.

21-Apr-2016 16:33:03 - Last edited on 21-Apr-2016 16:34:01 by Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Just to add to my post above...

I find this topic really tough because I fear people take my views personally. That's most definitely not what I want. I don't judge and especially don't judge people based on what software they choose to use.

If I were to judge anyone harshly it would be those responsible for popups, loud, in your face ads and those ads that cover up page content. That stuff is inexcusable.

I do feel not every website needs to be punished for the actions of less considerate sites and advertisers, and I feel the way adblock works with its indiscriminate blocking and extortion tactics is also inexcusable.

Having said that, at the end of the day I like what I do, and that's largely thanks to my users!

Now it's time for a coffee cocktail :)

HTTPs://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/58/24/8e/58248e994fb4123434aacd85b18c636c.jpg

21-Apr-2016 17:06:49 - Last edited on 21-Apr-2016 17:10:33 by Indecent Act

Body btw

Body btw

Posts: 19,488 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I completely agree.. Well I tend to turn adblock off on sites I am grateful for (yours included), but until now I left ABP on sites I trusted just due to laziness I suppose. Another example of a site I'm grateful for is Runeclan.

I think from now on I'll have it defaulted off and only turn it on when ads are truly intrusive :)

P.s. that Coffee-cocktail looks yummy :D
"Why are you posting threads, asking questions and making discussion???"

All I do anymore is fish - 2017

21-Apr-2016 22:11:48 - Last edited on 21-Apr-2016 22:13:34 by Body btw

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Update: Version 3.1.9.49

Just a couple of little things.

- Imgur Albums now embed.

- Censored Plain text URLs that belong to runescape domain are uncensored.

The change to censored runescape links only applies to plain text links. Links using link tag remain broken. I am planning on un-censoring those too. But I want to see how this goes before doing that.

The album embedding doesn't use the RS Linkify lightbox, it uses imgur's so that means getting to full screen is a little different. Below the embedded album i have included the original link so you can navigate to imgur's page as normal if you wish. The embedded album also counts as a single image towards your embedded image quota. Depending on your settings and how busy a page is it may not embed.

Here's some examples for those who may be curious to check out after receiving the update.

See here to see the album embedding in action.

See here to see censored links un-censored.

Hope you like :)

22-Apr-2016 06:42:10

aSp
Jun Member 2022

aSp

Posts: 8,062 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Indecent Act said :
But I want the features to be used and that's currently my top priority.

Are there any features that you would expect or like to see used more, that seem to go unused or un-loved?
What gems are we not making use of?

24-Apr-2016 20:16:32

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top