Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Keighlea

Keighlea

Posts: 40,455 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ello's Indy :) I seem to be having a problem with Linkify snacking on my images! I assumed it was my internet connection last night, but when I loaded up a thread today it seemed to still be happening, so checked if it happened with Linkify disabled..

http://i.imgur.com/88VKt5r.png - enabled
http://i.imgur.com/ApH9a62.png - disabled

Not quite sure why it happens, but a genius like you probably knows :)

­coffee (gotta keep that brain (and such a lovely person!) fed properly!) :)

Edit: This amused me :D

http://i.imgur.com/NoIsFlV.png

Edit2: It was my fault!!

I adblocked something and apparently adblock decided that one picture should turn into "everything that Linkify embeds"

Problem solved ­<3 (you still get the coffee though!)
Lady of Zaros

Proud Linkify user - Become one of the Family!

19-Apr-2016 16:00:32 - Last edited on 19-Apr-2016 16:23:22 by Keighlea

Nelson
Dec Member 2023

Nelson

Posts: 1,977 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Indecent Act said :

ooh lol, i was actually aware of the other two quoting features, never thought twice about them. so many quality of life things you don't even notice. i never really used the forums before, so most of the linkify features seem like default things to me. only things i really notice are the customizations on the settings page.

loved that gyazo embed btw. can't stand seeing those gyazo/lightshot(printscreen?) links. thanks.

looking forward to that manual :)

19-Apr-2016 18:52:41

Body btw

Body btw

Posts: 19,488 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hello :)

Adblock is a common culprit here on Linkify. Haha, I've been a victim of Adblock in the past.

This clearly isn't enough info for you to go on, Indy, but it is relevant to your thread at least (these were posted in the last hour or so)

Erehk said :
Evil Lucario said :
Linkify's been randomly borking lately. I don't know why...

With some links not working? I've been noticing some links not showing (being crossed out/invalid) but I wasn't sure what it was exactly.

I haven't had any issues but if something comes up you'll at least know it's not an isolated issue.

Cheers ­<3 ­Coffee
"Why are you posting threads, asking questions and making discussion???"

All I do anymore is fish - 2017

21-Apr-2016 05:30:02 - Last edited on 21-Apr-2016 05:33:21 by Body btw

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hmmm, the way plain text URLs are linkified hasn't changed but I have recently given RS Linkify the ability to handle images from gyazo and imgur that have file extensions omitted.

But all that happens in those cases is they take longer to process and that only applies to image embedding. So if there is delay with image embedding and it's imgur or gyazo and there is no file extension, that image would normally not be embedded at all. Now however RS Linkify makes a couple of requests to get the file extension and the image will embed usually after the page loaded. The delay is unavoidable in these cases because all the info for embedding is not contained in the original URL. Direct links don't have this delay and are much preferred.

But I'm really taking stabs in the dark here. A link to a post where you're seeing an issue would really help, because I really need to understand the nature of link, the post, and even other content that may be embedded in surrounding posts. Basically I like to see the entire page.

So I'm assuming this is to do with embedded content (images/vids/etc) as a standard hyper link that RS Linkify makes is static and interacts with nothing at all. It's only embedded content where I do any error handling and abort redirects and such.

I really need an example to look at, then I can look deeper into it :)

21-Apr-2016 06:20:31 - Last edited on 21-Apr-2016 06:21:29 by Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
As for adblock, it's not a matter of RS Linkify playing nicely with it.

What adblock blocks RS Linkify will not circumvent. That's not what my extension is about and tbh even if I wanted to do that I'm not sure I could. But I have no intentions of doing anything even remotely like that.

Here's an example. With adblock plus running (using their defaults). This harmless image is blocked. Any image named 480x60.png will be blocked regardless of the domain. You are viewing the web through adblock's eyes, they choose what you see or more to the point not see, and this not in anyway RS Linkify related as the browser has been instructed by other software to not connect to the source. As far as RS Linkify knows the image doesn't exist because any attempt to reach the source fails.

http://www.indecentcode.com/elqnow/480x60.png

and the same image in the same directory on the same domain, renamed to "linkify.png"

http://www.indecentcode.com/elqnow/linkify.png

For those not running adblock plus here's a screenie of this post with adblock.
HTTP://i.imgur.com/wzetHlG.png

21-Apr-2016 07:13:34 - Last edited on 21-Apr-2016 08:46:42 by Indecent Act

Body btw

Body btw

Posts: 19,488 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Wow.......... I seriously did not know this. I knew sometimes Adblock messed with things but I did not know it was to this extent. I thought it was usually the user messing with settings (like me) and blocking things by accident.

Wellp. I've officially disabled Adblock for RSOF
"Why are you posting threads, asking questions and making discussion???"

All I do anymore is fish - 2017

21-Apr-2016 10:05:07

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top