Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Update incoming!

Version 3.1.9.46 has just been published and wow it's....

...not very exciting.

Okay, while not very exciting this update actually has some cool changes.

Gyazo links (from my most hated image sharing site). I'm not sure what it is, but getting a Gyazo user to post a direct link to their image(s) is seemly impossible. The site is slow, fugly, and their oembed API doesn't work with javascript...seriously!

Every Gyazo link posted on the forums turns one of my hairs grey. I shudder every time I see one. So it's time I did something about it.

A typical Gyazo link looks like this...
ht tps://gyazo.com/fd944277dd210f24b495985c98bed604

^See that? No file extension! Damn that's ugly.

But now with the latest version of RS Linkify that wont be a problem. After a few short procedures RS Linkify will embed it.

- RS Linkify now takes that dirty link and sends it my website.

- From there my site takes that link and pushes it to Gyazo asking what even is this?

- Gyazo replies and says it's a png, jpeg, gif, or something.

- My site then sends the file extension back to RS Linkify (by this time RS Linkify is done and has taken a nap).

- RS Linkify wakes and attaches the file extension to the link and embeds it.

And there we have it, an embedded image from a half (p)arsed link.

So this:
h ttps://gyazo.com/fd944277dd210f24b495985c98bed604

Now turns into this...

(I don't know what the pic is, all I know is I can't even find coffee on Gastro)

HTTPs://bot.gyazo.com/fd944277dd210f24b495985c98bed604.png

After all that, I did the same for Imgur (was so much easier too).

Direct links are still the way to go, page load times are much faster and that's better for us, RS Linkify and my server. But should people neglect to include file extensions my hair wont turn grey quite so quickly now :)

I hope you like the changes.

Now it's time for ­coffee :)

13-Apr-2016 09:22:43

Nelson
Dec Member 2023

Nelson

Posts: 1,977 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hello again.

I noticed yesterday, or earlier today not sure, that clan names were missing under player usernames. I didn't really pay attention to it but I just noticed that the first post on each page shows the clan and the rest don't. Figured I'd report it here, not sure if it's happening to everyone or if it's just me.

13-Apr-2016 15:42:15

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Hiya Nelson, that was my doing but I've been made aware of it and it's fixed now.

Updating your extensions will get the latest version. See ­­here if you're not sure how to manually update.

My apologies for messing the titles up, and I appreciate you posting to give me a heads up :)

13-Apr-2016 16:17:48

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Hiya Lust :)

I think gyazo has been around for a while now, thus quite a few people use it.

But it's not the worst, just the worst popular one imo. There are far worse ones than gyazo and I'm staying well away from them.

Gyazo is used enough for me to justify putting time and resources into it (as in write, host and maintain an API on my site for it) , but not some of the others.

This update is basically doing stuff that wont really be noticed (other than me breaking titles). I don't expect anyone will realise an image is embedded that would have once appeared as link. In some ways these are the best updates as nothing appears to have changed, yet functionality has improved significantly.

It's not just gyazo I did this for, I also applied a similar thing for imgur links that lack file extensions too (that's something I've wanted to do for a while and finally got it done). I'm thinking about making imgur galleries embed too. But I'm not sure that'll be used much.

13-Apr-2016 18:32:37

Morgan

Morgan

Posts: 36,054 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Thank you for the update, Indsy. Although I personally don't use Gyazo, I despise it as well, but I know some people use it so it's fine.

I wonder what made them go with that format for their links. It's like so ugly and if the host wasn't as popular as it is, I'd think it's some sort of shady link hiding some malware or something.

13-Apr-2016 19:18:11

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top