Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Body btw said :
I hope you're doing well and here, have some ­coffee

Doing well thanks to the coffee, hope all is well for you too :)

Erehk said :
That's quite a lot of posts! :P

Wait until I show total thread page views from RS Linkify users. Seems we read a lot :)

Keighlea said :
Hiya Indy, just a quick question because I noticed something that annoyed me lol.

Hiya Keighlea :)

I think it is grammatically correct with that speck of dust there, but it just looks wrong beginning a new line with a comma.

J R Kerr, Vanguard of Armadyl. <-- remove the comma and it's poor grammar or it changes his name to "J R Kerr Vanguard" of Armadyl

The title is actually pertaining to a position or a group or could even be even both. Even replacing the comma with "the" or "a" doesn't work. Omitting the comma doesn't work either as it doesn't make sense.

Please don't suggest moving the comma to the end of his name, that will break every custom option that applies to friends/clan members and every mini avatar and also names in black list, anything that have a title with leading comma with break something. Would be so much work to compensate for that change, I have to say it's just not worth it.

There are a few titles like this and I feel it's best I just leave them alone. Actually for my own sanity (I've put so many hours into titles, frustrating hours at that) I think it's best for us all that I don't go near them :)

03-Apr-2016 01:31:48 - Last edited on 03-Apr-2016 01:44:01 by Indecent Act

Keighlea

Keighlea

Posts: 40,455 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Indecent Act said :
Please don't suggest moving the comma to the end of his name,

Could... Could you please? :)
Just kidding lol

Indecent Act said :
I think it is grammatically correct with that speck of dust there, but it just looks wrong beginning a new line with a comma.

I'll have to look at it that way, but yeah starting the line with the comma bugged me lol. Looking at it inclusively works for me :)
Lady of Zaros

Proud Linkify user - Become one of the Family!

03-Apr-2016 01:46:29

Witty
Sep Member 2013

Witty

Posts: 319 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Was checking out the source code of the chrome app, and noticed you had a url for your VoS API, when I went to it, and checked it out, it said to post on here for help creating an API.

Mind helping me out? I would love to utilize it.
Maxed 1/20/2016
|
MQC 4/16/2017
|
Comp 9/02/2017
|
@WittyPleb
|
Twitch: WittyPleb

03-Apr-2016 06:19:05

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Witty said :
Was checking out the source code of the chrome app, and noticed you had a url for your VoS API, when I went to it, and checked it out, it said to post on here for help creating an API.

I'm happy to help out, but what I'll do is give you a couple of examples of how to do it. A pure javascript solution and a php solution.

I'm not home right now, but as soon as I'm in front of my computer I'll post again and see how we go from there :)

03-Apr-2016 06:26:24

Ryan M
May Member 2008

Ryan M

Posts: 3,095 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hi Indy,
I'm going to be jumping around the thread a bit for this post since the last time...

Page 964 : Those account creation dates from that log are likely the time that they accessed the Jagex Wiki. Here is my proof:
http://cacheproxy.runescape.com/m=rswiki/en/Special:Log?logType=7&num=500&offset=3621500 -- I'm contributor 1800 (yay telephones! And I remembered it for some time to be that number) and my account is obviously older than that log. As well, it only shows slightly over 3.6M accounts that have access the wiki.

Page 971 : Figured Linkify got my handle from the header since during the October threads it would say the title I placed in-front of my name because why-not. :)

Page 982 : I feel like remarking on a few posts from page 982 regarding whether or not individual staff can see edit histories of posts.

Well if they can, it is likely a feature that is individually given to certain staff members. For example, not all staff appear to have access to "Good" and "Bad" based on previous quotes used by staff in 2012 and 2013 when they would just sometimes select a whole post to quote in the Campfire Q&A threads.

While this isn't a real image of a post (made it in September 2014), it's based on the RuneScape BTS 39: Demon Contracts! (2m54s — 2m56s) video where Mod SteveW is on the forums.

http://i.imgur.com/tySzDwS.png

----

Page (Somewhere in the last 20) : I didn't realize that it has been three years running, I thought Linkify was older than my stay in HLF. I remember using RFI for awhile and what really got me excited over Linkify was how it expanded beyond that script. It's sad that it is $350 whole every year to renew your site.

It's astonishing in the amount of labor and time that has been spent on this project of yours. Seriously, it's amazing as prior to that post I didn't think about the hiscores and forum projects real cost beforehand.

I'd like to say,
Thank you.

03-Apr-2016 07:01:02 - Last edited on 03-Apr-2016 07:02:38 by Ryan M

Witty
Sep Member 2013

Witty

Posts: 319 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Indecent Act said :
Witty said :

I'm happy to help out, but what I'll do is give you a couple of examples of how to do it. A pure javascript solution and a php solution.

I'm not home right now, but as soon as I'm in front of my computer I'll post again and see how we go from there :)

The JavaScript version is actually what I need, my application I'm making is in Node.js, so that would be wonderful.
Maxed 1/20/2016
|
MQC 4/16/2017
|
Comp 9/02/2017
|
@WittyPleb
|
Twitch: WittyPleb

03-Apr-2016 07:09:09

Morgan

Morgan

Posts: 36,054 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hey IndsyWincy

I had a weird dream whilst napping today. I dreamt you updated the Linkify settings page to have "Material" design from Google and I was jumping around so excited. That dream is so random, I know. I think I dreamt that maybe because I have an unhealthy obsession with everything Material.

On top of that, Jagex had released some CSS modifications that made the RS website Material design. Such an unhealthy obsession!

Here's a marshmallow for you

|----|
|.......| <-- Marshmallow
|----|

A bit crooked marshmallow, but still tasty :)

03-Apr-2016 08:43:55 - Last edited on 03-Apr-2016 08:44:33 by Morgan

Body btw

Body btw

Posts: 19,488 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I just realized we're 1/4 done with 2016!! I logged into forums to say this somewhere and Linkify was the first thread I ended up on :p
Ryan M said :
It's astonishing in the amount of labor and time that has been spent on this project of yours. Seriously, it's amazing as prior to that post I didn't think about the hiscores and forum projects real cost beforehand.

I'd like to say,
Thank you.
I couldn't have said it better myself, we really do appreciate her and it's hard to put into so many words. When I first came to HLF it felt like Indy was one of the best paid community Jagex mods in
disguise
, because of how helpful she and her rs related "products" are.

I learned some time after she is actually doing this on her own unofficial support from Jagex. I definitely feel lucky to have Indy on our side, the community~ :) ­<3
"Why are you posting threads, asking questions and making discussion???"

All I do anymore is fish - 2017

03-Apr-2016 09:32:25 - Last edited on 03-Apr-2016 09:47:03 by Body btw

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Wow a few posts since I last logged in, I'll reply to all after I get Witty underway :)

The first thing you need to do is create a twitter widget. It's really easy and takes a minute only. The whole purpose of this is gain an ID that we can use to call on the twitter feed to get Voice of Seren.

- Go to https://twitter.com and sign in or create an account.

- Go to your settings page.

- Go to "Widgets" on the left hand side.

- Create a new widget for user timeline.

- Use this configuration (see pic)

HTTP://i.imgur.com/t2jRBq1.png

- Click Save or Create Widget.

– Refresh page or go back to settings page, and then back to widgets page.

– You should see the widget you just created. Click edit.

– Now look at the embed code you will see a long number like this: 123456789012345678

– In the next image I've highlighted the ID, That's what you need!

HTTP://i.imgur.com/WHS8Lji.png

Now for the script.

The best thing I think I can do is give you a working example, I just made this page so you can enter your ID and see the result.

https://www.rslinkify.indecentcode.com/vos.html

And the source here: https://www.rslinkify.indecentcode.com/vos_source.html

This is real bare bones stuff, no error correction or handling. I'm just pulling out some text, you should also grab the timestamp so you can check the age of the data and make provisions in case the feed isn't up to date. Conciser creating an element and appending the entire result to it, you can traverse it just as you would the DOM.

Also it's a good idea to cache the results since you know they only change on the hour. That way you can make one request an hour and pull the data from cache in the meantime.

I have tested this with my ID and it's working as expected, so hopefully you'll have no issues.

Not sure how well I have covered things, but I hope this gets you started. If you're having any problems let me know and we'll find a solution :)

Best of luck :)

03-Apr-2016 10:37:45 - Last edited on 03-Apr-2016 11:57:55 by Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Hiya Ryan M :)

Ryan M said :
Page 964: Those account creation dates from that log are likely the time that they accessed the Jagex Wiki. Here is my proof:
As I expected, nice of you to confirm that's the case :)

Ryan M said :
Page 971: Figured Linkify got my handle from the header since during the October threads it would say the title I placed in-front of my name because why-not. :)
Yep, that's where I pull the username from if you're logged in. Serves two purposes, if it doesn't exist I assume you're not logged in thus some code isn't run. The username is used for settings that apply to self, custom backgrounds and such. Would have been odd to see a thread named with your name + personal customisations :)

Ryan M said :
While this isn't a real image of a post (made it in September 2014), it's based on the RuneScape BTS 39: Demon Contracts! (2m54s — 2m56s) video where Mod SteveW is on the forums.
Nice to see the tools. I really don't think past edits can be retrieved though. I could easily be wrong but to my (limited) knowledge SQL doesn't really work that way. So a whole database filled with previous edits just doesn't seem likely to me. The thing is next week I might hear or learn something that changes my mind completely, so goodness knows.

Ryan M said :
I'd like to say,
Thank you.

I can honestly say it's a pleasure.

What I said about costs/adverts and such, for me isn't about money. It's really about the philosophical angle. We shape the web with tools we use to view it. I don't think the web is doomed, but there is a nasty possibility that has the potential to be real. Not a bad thing to be aware of imo.

Big thank you for your detailed post and fine information :)

03-Apr-2016 11:25:55

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top