Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hiya Rowley :)

That looks both strange and annoying. I'm not seeing that issue here, pretty sure I'm all up to date too.

My Version Info...

RS-Linkify Version: 3.1.9.75
Chrome Version: 53.0.2785.101
Compiled for: Win32
Language: en-GB

I will try to reproduce it as I browse the forums though.

Morgan said :
Latest Chrome update brought a GUI update! Nice, looks so good!

The home icon looks like an up arrow to me. But I can get used to that and so far the rest looks nice and clean :)

09-Sep-2016 05:54:09

Hevilmystic
Feb Member 2022

Hevilmystic

Posts: 60,012 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hmm, wonder what it is then. *doesn't remember how to do version info*

My Version Info...

RS-Linkify Version: 3.1.9.75
Chrome Version: 53.0.2785.101
Compiled for: Win32
Language: en-GB

e: Nvm I got it

It happens in incognito for me too, aka no extensions interfering. I shall try fixing it myself I guess D:

e2: Neither 64 nor 32bit Chrome works, cleared Chrome using CCleaner, and even restarted my PC (nooo my uptime), nothing seems to have worked :(

Nor Chrome Canary.
Unslain Bosses - Clan

09-Sep-2016 06:01:27 - Last edited on 09-Sep-2016 06:15:53 by Hevilmystic

Morgan

Morgan

Posts: 36,054 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Tried to reproduce that bug Rowley posted and it happens to me too. The only time it doesn't happen is if I just load my profile and click the search button (searches for my profile). The moment you tamper with the text field, it breaks.

09-Sep-2016 11:35:17

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Thanks Morgypie that helped :)

I can now reproduce it. It's not RS Linkify but I have found where the problem is.

http://i.imgur.com/l8bquIg.png

Not sure if there is an issue with the regex style pattern or if the browser is messing up.

I can fix it, but I'd rather wait until I know what the cause is. If it is a chrome issue then I'll leave it because they'll get onto it before too long. If it is a code issue in the webpage then I'll sort it because past experience tells me it could be an issue for some time.

What strikes me as odd is that it works once then breaks. Tbh I haven't really looked closely at it so looking deeper may explain some things.

Edit:

Looked a little deeper....

http://i.imgur.com/ify5mxg.png

I have a feeling all the bad escaping and silly white space issues are coming back to bite the awesome web team.

09-Sep-2016 15:24:09 - Last edited on 09-Sep-2016 15:50:06 by Indecent Act

Morgan

Morgan

Posts: 36,054 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I understand what a pattern attribute does, but why is there even a pattern attribute there in that text field? Seems a bit over the top and overkill.

I mean, again, I don't know much about this, but why even add a pattern attribute there?

09-Sep-2016 16:02:55

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

At the very least it tells the user they are using unsupported characters. So it's handy that way.

As far as actually doing anything more, not really.

It essentially filters what the server gets from the page's request methods (GET & POST). But that doesn't even matter because the server should always do some kind of sanitising of user input and never ever rely on client side for that.

That is btw what is happening here, the server sanitises what the user submitted, so the pattern for the text field is only serving a notification to the user when needed.

Unless something is broken, like bad escaping and misuse of white space and other encoding. Then it is no longer helpful and gets annoying and breaks the page in some way.

09-Sep-2016 16:13:33

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top