Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Klyntar

Klyntar

Posts: 7,177 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Got my horizontal billet grilles + bumper grilles on and CAI system put in today.
If there was an emote on these forums for dancing around to 'im so excited' this would be when I'd use it. Didn't have anything go wrong which is a miracle in the automotive world...

08-Jan-2016 20:56:02 - Last edited on 09-Jan-2016 01:07:36 by Klyntar

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
^Wow Accuser, sexy indeed!

Lust said :
Popping in to say hi :)
http://i.imgur.com/Tdqga1B.webm

That's so cute, I need one of those right now :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Getting close to pushing out the bookmarks/forum history update. I've also made some changes and RS Linkify is running faster than ever before. It wont really change page load times, but it's nice to have things optimised and it definitely feels smoother in some cases.

I was hoping to publish this update this week. But I'm going away again for a few days and I wont work on it until I get home.

When I do push out the update I might make it available for a select few users at first (looking at people with linkify badges mostly). That way I can gather some feedback and sort out anything I've missed. It's a pretty big update and there will be no doubt be scenarios I haven't covered. Still not sure if that's how I'll release it, but I think that might be a good way to go.

Anyway it's time for coffee here and a little scaping. Then back to coding :)

13-Jan-2016 01:13:41

J3
Jun Member 2017

J3

Posts: 3,560 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
*peeks in thread*

That's some nifty new features you're working on! I'll be looking forward to them :) keep up the good work!

I've been very occupied this past year with my new job (as a front end developer!) so I've been living true to my linkify title hehe.
@J3sven

13-Jan-2016 15:20:38 - Last edited on 13-Jan-2016 15:21:08 by J3

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Hevilmystic said :
I neglect off topic so much. Many hugs to to Indy :)

Big hugs right back at you :)

Actually big hugssss for all ­<3

Amaethwr said :
Will gladly help testing out the bookmarking feature :)

That will be great! Normally when I'm testing new stuff I can just forum pretty much as normal, and pick up things that need changing as I go. But this is a lot different.

For those interested, read on and I'll elaborate and give a bigger picture.

In order to make a proper history/profile means RS Linkify will be saving data almost every time a page is loaded.

Saving and retrieving data frequently isn't a big deal on it's own, but the way browsers do it is slow. For example the time it takes to retrieve your settings often takes longer than all the other processing done by linkify, saving is even slower. Being a slow process also means I don't want saves happening during page load thus impacting performance.

So the issue is, what happens if you navigate/refresh during the save? I can tell you, and it's not pretty. They either get totally destroyed or corrupted or if you're really lucky the new data just isn't saved.

Then there is race conditions (actually not technically correct but race condition will do). Imagine history is writing a save and at almost the same another setting is saved (for example restore last post) the proceeding save will kill the first save if local storage is busy. No biggie if history misses one page but if you were saving settings in options page, that's a plethora of user data lost.

My policy with user settings has always been to treat them like they are made of gold, because losing your settings to a code issue is one of the worst experiences users can have.

Continued (damn even twitter is talking about 10k character limit)

14-Jan-2016 16:44:28

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

In order to avoid these scenarios I have rewritten lots of code, this has been huge and it isn't even touching on the bookmarks/history stuff. That's partly why this update is taking so long. Real life stuff and my slackness hasn't helped either, however it's been a lot of work all the same.

While it's working for me, I just don't know how it will go on other systems (faster/slower internet and computers, different OS and such).

That's why I need guinea pigs. I also need feedback, and based on that I expect to be making interface changes/additions during testing that will again need testing.

I'm almost at a stage where most of the features I want are working and when I'm happy with that I'd like to push out an update that only those with linkify badges (and perhaps J3 and AoDude, if they don't object) can play around with.

The features are many compared to the default forum profile. Date and time filters (to the minute and even to the second if you want to go hardcore), forum section filters, proper text (key word) search, thread/post/view filters and they all work together. I want to post pics but I think it's better to just wait and see it, that way you get to click stuff.

I guess what I'm saying is, I simply can't test it with varying conditions (latency, hardware, OS etc). There are just too many combinations.

I'm pretty excited about this update and that makes me keen to push it out, but I'm also cautious. When I do push out the update for testing it still wont be complete, but that's the idea because anything extra I build into it, I want to come from a select portion of my linkify users (mostly those with badges). After it's fully live I can take on feedback from anyone, as I like to do.

So that's the plan, a beta test for a few users and then go from there. Of course there are no obligations from anyone who receives the update. RS Linkify will work just as normal and you can choose to use/give feedback or not.

Wow that was long :)

14-Jan-2016 16:44:43

Keighlea

Keighlea

Posts: 40,455 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ello's Indy!

I just wanted to pop in on here to let you know I got your message (oops) and that you have a message yourself (since you're as good as I am about checking sometimes!).

I suppose that while I'm here I could say hello to some others... So hello to some others! I should count myself fortunate that this is a 10th message so it'll be buried at the bottom of an obscure page! But yes, hello to some other people who I've also neglected to chat with in the near two months I've been... away. Hopefully you're all doing well and the Linkify family is still growing :)
Lady of Zaros

Proud Linkify user - Become one of the Family!

14-Jan-2016 21:36:59

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top