Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Body btw

Body btw

Posts: 19,488 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Carley said :
-Has nothing to add to the topic so just comes in to share coffee-
me as well :) HTTP://i1.tribune.com.pk/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/706746-cup-1399743381-662-640x480.JPG
"Why are you posting threads, asking questions and making discussion???"

All I do anymore is fish - 2017

03-Jul-2016 23:47:35

Erehk

Erehk

Posts: 15,453 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I just happened to notice yesterday that the green light online/offline indicator on the little post count badges doesn't seem to recognize when a player is logged in on Old School.

Not something that's all that important by any means haha, only thought I'd point it out in case it hasn't been caught before.
@RS_Erehk

04-Jul-2016 05:47:38

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Erehk said :
I just happened to notice yesterday that the green light online/offline indicator on the little post count badges doesn't seem to recognize when a player is logged in on Old School.

Not something that's all that important by any means haha, only thought I'd point it out in case it hasn't been caught before.

Oh I didn't know that. I can guess at some reasons why it might be like that.

Now I'm curious about Old School.

The data RS Linkify gets comes from the same APIs the forums use. So I'm going to assume some website features are not available for old school players. Online status being one such thing. I have a feeling RS Linkify Import friends wont work for old school either, something I have never thought to test.

05-Jul-2016 08:14:19

AoDude

AoDude

Posts: 1,694 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
http://thesituation.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/coffee.jpg

Hope all is well.

Started a new project yesterday to make my own jtalk for discord. Little more complicated that I initially thought :P Twitter/Reddit were pretty straight forward minus finding all of the jmod accounts (probably still missing a bunch from reddit {14 accounts total}, some from twitter {105 accounts total}).

I am starting to find out why RSOF is a bit of a problem though :/ On all 3 services I am looking at their respective "profile" page, which isn't a problem for reddit/twitter because there is an event for every post they make and they are in chronological order. However, on the RSOF forum profiles, neither is really true. If a person replies to a thread they have already posted on, it doesn't bump it up to the top of the list, nor does it give a unique link for said post.

Admittedly before jtalk, I didn't think there were very many jmod posts on the forums, but I know better now. Unfortunately it is very hard for a user to find/know about them without stalking all of their forum profiles, and even then it seems difficult to determine what is new information.

There is the date of the last post, which may make it easier for a computer to figure out what is new/old info; but as far as a user, it is just a needle in a haystack. What user would spend any amount of time looking at every jmods profile of 100+ threads each looking for any new information based on the date/time of the most recent thread the last time they looked?

Anyway, rant over... Maybe I can do something about it.

Edit: Before you worry, I am limiting page requests. 1 request per known jmod per 5-15 minutes (depending on number of known jmod accounts) on each of the 3 services.
AO
Deputy-Owner :
The Nexus CC

09-Jul-2016 19:35:27 - Last edited on 09-Jul-2016 19:39:14 by AoDude

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Hiya AoDude :)

Last post date in RSOF profile appears to be the only practical way to tell if new posts have been made on a thread. So I'd go with that.

The hard part is knowing every J-Mod profile, and I think maintaining it could be a bit of pain when new J-Mods come on the forum scene.

A full list of all J-Mods that's kept up to date would be so handy, however maintaining your own list... well I don't envy anyone who takes that on!

Cool project though, if any one can make a go of it, you can :)

Not really helpful but this something I was toying with for RS Linkify (perhaps in the future)...

Indecent Act said :
By combining the power of all RS Linkify users and pooling data, it may be possible to achieve a similar result. However this is something I need to look much deeper into. But it could work for a notification system, j-mod post indicators, maybe even notify you if you've been quoted. All without being automated and just by pooling what everyone sees.

^ Not fool proof or a perfect system, but I think it has much potential. I just have too much going on atm so this is on the back burner.

10-Jul-2016 01:54:04 - Last edited on 10-Jul-2016 04:18:24 by Indecent Act

AoDude

AoDude

Well with some determination I have had some success. Did some things differently than I had originally imagined, but I am happy with where it is at for the moment.

https://discord.gg/wWq4s7F

I am considering releasing my lists of jmod accounts to help crowd source any missing jmods. (And also keep it moderated to make sure no fake jmod accounts mistakenly make it to the list)

The biggest problem I can see right now, is many of the news/patchnotes/ect posts are by a Mod Robbie, however that appears to be a fake forum account. When viewing the profile for Mod Robbie, there is no posts. And whenever one of the posts is edited, it is by another jmod.

Not sure what I can do about that if anything right now.
AO
Deputy-Owner :
The Nexus CC

11-Jul-2016 04:41:58

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Mod Robbie, he's a shady character. I believe he also writes up the news posts too.

He's certainly a spanner in the works for your project. I hadn't considered how he could mess things up. Not sure of how to work around that.

I'm thinking of a different approach but it may also have some shortcomings, I'll post my idea when I have a played around a little more. Though I have a feeling the way you're doing it will be prove better in the long run.

Really need some forum APIs, that would make life so much easier!

13-Jul-2016 00:31:56

AoDude

AoDude

Here are my current lists of jmods, if you are curious. Might be useful for more than just my project.

RSOF: http://puu.sh/pZM1d/1d1d632310.json

Reddit: http://puu.sh/pZM2v/624b82cebe.json

Twitter: http://puu.sh/pZM3Z/7cab784752.json
AO
Deputy-Owner :
The Nexus CC

13-Jul-2016 03:15:15

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top