Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

AoDude

AoDude

Posts: 1,694 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
@Hugo, the key is when "runescape" the user is live. And this might be possible to show with linkify.

The following link provides json data about the runescape user: https://api.twitch.tv/kraken/streams/runescape

FYI, this is a poor parody of the vos function... This will likely need to be tweaked further to properly work; plus the other function that would actually display a stream icon... ect. But I am off to a birthday lunch, so I can't tweak it any further.

Edit: I refined the idea a bit... I will be in touch.
AO
Deputy-Owner :
The Nexus CC

26-Jun-2016 17:53:07 - Last edited on 26-Jun-2016 23:45:35 by AoDude

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Not sure about the twitch thing. The problem is making something to improve security that isn't water tight. Meaning you cant 100% rely on it and its possible for things to slip through. That can be worse than no security at all.

I made an extension (not public yet) that determines if J mods on twitter are legit. I check against a list of known j mods. This means all J mods are evil until proven otherwise via cross referencing. Any mistakes fall under false positives and still protect the user.

This user is most likely legit <-- that can't be thing and I don't see a way to avoid that with twitch unless users are willing to maintain their own white list, and that's far from ideal too.

Just not sure about twitch.

27-Jun-2016 04:54:48 - Last edited on 27-Jun-2016 04:55:32 by Indecent Act

Hugopluks13

Hugopluks13

Posts: 9,931 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
@Indy,

I think we have something slightly different in mind. What I am thinking of is something like a police tip-off tool. A group of people getting a heads up when a stream goes live that is most likely a phishing stream, so that it can be reported to Twitch right away.

The progress of removing a phishing stream is:
1) Stream goes online.
2) Stream get's reported.
3) Stream get's taken down.
Step 3 is done by Twitch and seems to always happen a couple minutes after step 2. The weak/slow point is step 2 itself, as it could be a while before the stream gets reported. My thinking was that with some kind of system automatically sending a notification when a suspicious stream goes up, you could make step 2 follow instantly on step 1.

@AoDude,

Curious to see what you can come up with. Note that it's not about the official Twitch channel (Runescape), but about any account streaming in the category 'Runescape'.
You will never get anything for free. Anyone claiming that is trying to scam, lure or hijack you.
Twitter: @Hugopluks13 || Currently playing on: Rhydon || Dutch

27-Jun-2016 09:33:58

AoDude

AoDude

Ah, what I came up with was simply an alert of when the actual official channel is streaming. Nothing to do with the rest of the channels, nor the possibility of impersonators. More of like a whitelist of 1...
AO
Deputy-Owner :
The Nexus CC

27-Jun-2016 13:29:22

AoDude

AoDude

Indecent Act said :
Not sure about the twitch thing. The problem is making something to improve security that isn't water tight. Meaning you cant 100% rely on it and its possible for things to slip through. That can be worse than no security at all.

I made an extension (not public yet) that determines if J mods on twitter are legit. I check against a list of known j mods. This means all J mods are evil until proven otherwise via cross referencing. Any mistakes fall under false positives and still protect the user.

This user is most likely legit <-- that can't be thing and I don't see a way to avoid that with twitch unless users are willing to maintain their own white list, and that's far from ideal too.

Just not sure about twitch.

FYI, Mod JD's official twitter was hacked over the weekend. There was a database leak which led to the take over of his account. So even if they are an official account, it isn't a full-proof security. They can still be compromised in similar ways and tweet out malicious links ect.
AO
Deputy-Owner :
The Nexus CC

27-Jun-2016 17:49:01

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
AoDude said :
FYI, Mod JD's official twitter was hacked over the weekend. There was a database leak which led to the take over of his account. So even if they are an official account, it isn't a full-proof security. They can still be compromised in similar ways and tweet out malicious links ect.
Yep, one of many things software just can't prevent. Makes me glad I haven't released anything.

Hevilmystic said :
I'm sure this has been suggested before, but any chance we could get strawpolls embedded?

Yep it has, but I can't do it properly.

The URL to strawpoll doesn't contain info needed for embedding. The big issue is not knowing the size of poll, I really need a height parameter before I can embed it :/

01-Jul-2016 07:06:06

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top