Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Body btw

Body btw

Posts: 19,488 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
You're welcome AoDude and I have a bad memory Rowley :( Now that you mention it I think I remember that one being more commonly used in the past
"Why are you posting threads, asking questions and making discussion???"

All I do anymore is fish - 2017

21-Jun-2016 04:26:24 - Last edited on 21-Jun-2016 04:27:28 by Body btw

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Erehk said :
Although I have custom avatars turned off even and I still see that one, haha. :P
Oh that's not intentional, I'll look into that.

AoDude said :
I just read the alt text tonight. LMAO
I was struggling to come up with something, then I saw the original thread where your avatar come from :)

Hevilmystic said :
I still miss this avatar tbh, but damn circles!
Not sure if anything can be done to make it fit, but I might have look at it later :)

21-Jun-2016 05:29:52

Hevilmystic
Feb Member 2022

Hevilmystic

Posts: 60,012 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Right. I'm having no luck so I will post here... (apologies in advance)

Are any of you aware of an extension that I can use to zoom in on a specific subdomain - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer* - without the entirety of bbc.co.uk being zoomed in?

I use zoom in the iplayer section of the bbc website as they do not have a 'theatre mode' or similar, so zooming is my only solution... However, that makes the rest of the BBC website incredibly annoying to read as it's super zoomed in.

Thanks in advance D:
Unslain Bosses - Clan

22-Jun-2016 00:42:02

Hevilmystic
Feb Member 2022

Hevilmystic

Oh wow, I didn't realise you wouldn't be able to view it at all - I thought you'd just be able to visit the site but not play anything.

My apologies. D:

It was more a general thing I was looking for, but the BBC being the reason I wanted it... Basically to be able to zoom on certain directories/subdomains whilst leaving the rest alone. It surprisingly didn't seem like something that'd be so hard to find a solution for, but apparently I'm one of few :p

e: I did find this: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/zoomwheel/kdfgigbjonaniokmpfflpflkhahhbaej

However it's specific to a url... >_>
Unslain Bosses - Clan

22-Jun-2016 03:54:47 - Last edited on 22-Jun-2016 03:59:43 by Hevilmystic

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Oh I can view the page but not the video. Sorry I wasn't at home when posting and was kind of distracted.

Now I'm paying more attention :)

So from my understanding you want this page (pics are cropped to top left of screen.)...

HTTP://i.imgur.com/ekmZEdc.png

to look like this...

HTTP://i.imgur.com/MGASUWy.png

and you want the rest of the site to be at the default zoom.

Assuming I'm correct, it's very do-able. Chrome has an api called 'tabs', RS Linkify uses it for some things. One of the features of tabs is ZOOM.

The way tabs works is the page in a tab (any tab) is identified by a number of properties (the URL, the page title, etc). When a particular tab property is matched with a predetermined parameter (url = http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer) we can assign a specific zoom value.

We can also take it further for example url = http://services.runescape.com/m=forum/* <-- the asterisk will mean match anything. So in that case all forum pages would be zoomed but the rest of the site would be normal.

I haven't looked closely at the extension you linked, but it seems it doesn't use chrome's zoom api, rather it uses CSS zoom. That's why there is an exhaustive list of limitations. And also why it doesn't harness the power of "tabs". I expect they do it that way so their code is cross browser compatible. That's not something we need to worry about though.

If I'm on the right track with what you want, I can knock up a script that'll do it. I haven't used some of these api methods but that shouldn't be a problem.

If I were to make a script, it wouldn't be hosted on the app store because its not something I'd maintain for the public (everyone has different needs). But it would be configurable in a basic sense.

Having said that, I'm still not sure I'm on the right track, so feel free to post some screenies (mockups) if you like. I'm happy to do what I can :)

22-Jun-2016 19:24:27

Hevilmystic
Feb Member 2022

Hevilmystic

You're correct Indy.. And just to reiterate:

Anything on "http://bbc.co.uk/iplayer*" to be resized (I use 150% or 175% zoom usually), and for everything else to be left alone, because currently, it makes the rest of the BBC website look like this (150% zoom):

HTTP://i.imgur.com/7bNmVd6.png

Compared to (100% zoom):

HTTP://i.imgur.com/qxG7BVG.png

Whilst in reality, I only need the zoom for iPlayer :)
Unslain Bosses - Clan

22-Jun-2016 20:31:15

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Hevilmystic said :
You're correct Indy
Awesome, okay I'll see what I can put together. I'll probably make a start on it tomorrow. Kind of just vegging out atm :)

R obin said :
Hiya Indy! I don't if this has been requested before, but would it be possible to code a script, that automatically updates the forum page every 10-20-30 seconds? Possibly costumizable.
Very possible, very easy to do. But not something I wish to do. Well not continually hit pages in the hope something has changed.

Jagex discourage automated hits on their web pages. They are pretty lenient with this, if you're not doing it too much. However simply refreshing a page repeatedly can mean you hit rate limits. The first symptoms are player titles not working, eventually you'll be temp blocked from the entire page.

Mod Allstar recently confirmed this, saying if developers push too hard, rate limits will kick in temp blocking your IP. Basically it will treated as an attack.

I think a big part of why I stay onside with Jagex (to date they have had no issues with RS Linkify) is because I respect their ToS and I'm mindful of server load.

Basically I wont be doing this kind of thing in RS Linkify. The forums need to be treated gently, if every RS Linkify user did it, I know Jagex wouldn't dig it.

Now I have I got all that out of the way, I assume you're interested in something that shows when a thread has been updated, new posts and such. If I'm correct in that assumption, then I may have some positive news in that area.

By combining the power of all RS Linkify users and pooling data, it may be possible to achieve a similar result. However this is something I need to look much deeper into. But it could work for a notification system, j-mod post indicators, maybe even notify you if you've been quoted. All without being automated and just by pooling what everyone sees.

22-Jun-2016 21:27:23 - Last edited on 22-Jun-2016 21:31:18 by Indecent Act

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top