Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Thanks AoDude that will be great as I'm still unable to reproduce it.

Usually these things are not isolated cases, but as yet I haven't heard of anyone else seeing this. I still have a bit do with the history api method I'm working on, so there is plenty of time for others to report the issue too.

Will be interesting to hear how it goes on a different computer, thanks again for the info and help. It's very much appreciated :)

04-Nov-2015 06:00:22

Body btw

Body btw

Posts: 19,488 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I was away from the forums during most of the fun unfortunately.... (because of IRL obligations) but I just want to reiterate what I said before that I thought the forum skin was awesome and the Halloween spooks were fun. :)

Some feedback would be, there was definitely some issues and kinks with Linkify while it was all going down, some of it you were clearly aware of a mistake made and others you might not have known about it until someone reported it... A suggestion would be to have a toggle for Linkify so that users don't feel forced to disable this great extension!

Either way, I'm really grateful for this extension and I really liked the Halloween Linkify thing overall. Thanks ^_^

edit: I realize I didn't really offer anything "new" in the form of feedback, I'm sorry :( All I can say or think of is that, some users felt forced to disable Linkify and some bugs may have actually forced them to do so.

As a proud user myself, if this were to happen to me I would still participate in IQ9 and other fun easter eggs, but I would utilize the toggle if there were bugs or issues on my end I didn't know how to fix.
"Why are you posting threads, asking questions and making discussion???"

All I do anymore is fish - 2017

04-Nov-2015 07:33:40 - Last edited on 04-Nov-2015 08:10:43 by Body btw

Ryan M
May Member 2008

Ryan M

Posts: 3,095 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The visited threads works nice for the existing session. I hadn't thought about it until now, but the thread that initiated the Halloween event with Linkify was interesting in itself. The fact that it said "Scientist Ryan M" rather than "Ryan M" kinda made me take a step back. Noting that I had altered the header-top__name based on which account I'm currently using (as well as what other changes I perform to the forums).

I'd also think it would be cool to have something like the Konami code in the script to point to an easter egg. :) By the way, the Linkify settings for protection kill good links. :(

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/MediaWiki:Common.js/Konami.js

I'd also think it would be neat to include the number of current threads in a profile like such:
https://i.imgur.com/avyV4L3.png

04-Nov-2015 08:30:08

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Hiya Ryan M :)

I will tone down the link protection, it's bit too strong in a few cases. When the BB link tag was new I put it into overkill. I'll make some changes next update to relax it.

Scientist Ryan M, I can see how that happened as that's where I pulled the display names from. Would have been odd to see in a thread title though :)

Konami code is good idea, I'll look into that.

I have solved the visited link session limitation. Just running the code for a while to make sure I haven't missed anything. It will require a change in linkify permissions. Fortunately chrome allows optional permissions so those who don't want it can use Linkify as they always have.

The hard part is I recently discovered (this caused a few problems with IQ9) is many people jump around the forums with multiple session ID's. From bookmarks mostly I assume. And from clicking other links/pasting links in addressbar, and from their own history. People lose their session ID in one tab while having it another and that can still be an invalid/expired one.

It's a nightmare tbh. Because of this it will bring some limitations to the visited links. However for those who don't use invalid session ID's will be fine, and if the session expires under normal circumstances Linkify will handle that properly.

Anyway I better get back to some more testing :)

04-Nov-2015 09:14:10 - Last edited on 04-Nov-2015 09:23:36 by Indecent Act

Ryan M
May Member 2008

Ryan M

Posts: 3,095 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I see with the sessions that it would be an interesting thing to overcome. I'll leave these here...

Because I like to know when thread 'x' is going to get knocked off profile...
$('.thread-plate__post-by-user').each(function (i, e) { $(this).append("<br/>#" + (i + 1)); });

Maximum threads is 200, sometimes max visible in profile is 197...
var totalThreads = $( '.thread-plate__post-by-user:last-child' ).length;
if ( totalThreads === 1 ) {
$( '<span>' ).text( ' | This profile has ' ).attr( 'id', 'user-thread-total' ).append( $( '<strong>' ).text( totalThreads + ' thread' ) ).insertAfter('.user-post-count > strong');
}
else {
$( '<span>' ).text( ' | This profile has ' ).attr( 'id', 'user-thread-total' ).append( $( '<strong>' ).text( totalThreads + ' threads' ) ).insertAfter('.user-post-count > strong');
}

Because you can still save up to 300 characters in signatures...
$( '.reply-box__area--signature' ).attr( 'maxlength', 300 );
var s1 = $( '.reply-box__area--signature' ).text();
if ( $('.signature-box__title')[0] ) { var s2 = document.getElementById( 'reply-box__area' ).value = s1; }

In relation to permissions, that's nice and I did not know that Chrome allowed optional allowances towards extensions. Always thought that they were a blanket set.

04-Nov-2015 09:37:46 - Last edited on 04-Nov-2015 09:39:52 by Ryan M

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Oh that's pretty neat, my profile has 177 threads :)

Nice one with the signature too, sneaky :)

As with the optional permissions, it hasn't always been that way. Though I think they've had it implemented for a while. When permissions elevate the extension is instantly disabled until the user agrees.

But if what if the user doesn't agree? Too bad, go without was the only option.

But with optional permissions the user can decline and keep using the extension without the elevated permissions and the extension is not disabled by default.

The only thing with optional permissions is they must be instigated by a user action. So you cant run code to initiate them. The user must click something (in my case it will be a checkbox) and the browser will prompt asking you allow Linkify to use new permissions. From then on Linkify can use the associated api without needed to prompt the user again.

I haven't actually seen a working example so it will be interesting to see how it goes when I publish the update :)

04-Nov-2015 10:16:19 - Last edited on 04-Nov-2015 10:19:09 by Indecent Act

Lenoire
Oct Member 2011

Lenoire

Posts: 1,799 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I have to thank you for the amazing event, especially solving the poem was a really cool part for me, even though I struggled quite a bit before I figured it out. :3
I didn't expect I'd win though, that was a very pleasant surprise, 100m is a whole lot of GP for me.
I always say that there's no such thing as coincidence, so the fact how similar the names of the winners turned out to be can't stop fascinating me.
Today's been a bit bad day for me, but coming here and finding out I've won and in most interesting way cheered me up a lot. :3
So thank you for this, I'll look forwards to other similar events in the future.

04-Nov-2015 10:29:26

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Big Gratsssss Saint Maria :)

I'm glad to make your day a little brighter!

It was such an odd coincidence. Saint Merry and Saint Maria winning on All Saints Day.

I have to admit I did a double take when I saw the results from the draw. Pretty cool how things work out and like you, I like to think there is no such thing as coincidence.

Anyway I'll jump into the game right now and try and track you down, else just let me know when is a good time to find you :)

04-Nov-2015 10:36:28

Lenoire
Oct Member 2011

Lenoire

Posts: 1,799 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hevilmystic said :
Lenoire said :
Today's been a bit bad day for me

http://i.imgur.com/4gOvrdG.jpg

That's so cute. :3
Coffee certainly makes everything better, would just be rather unfortunate having to drink that and ruin it in the process.
This place will never cease to amaze me with all you awesome people. :3

04-Nov-2015 13:39:49

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top