Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

AoDude

AoDude

Posts: 1,694 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I have a bit of an idea floating in my head. Although peoples perception of it may be split.

There has been a few different posts saying how it would be different (better?) if reddit/twitter were embedded into the RSOF. The thing is, with linkify, this could be a possibility... Though I am neither sure how you would view that, nor how the wider user base would.

My idea is a floating/hideable sidebar styled to match the rest of the forums with just a couple rss feeds in them. One with the /r/runescape feed, and one with a twitter feed full of all of the official jmod twitters.

The /r/runescape feed is easy: https://www.reddit.com/r/runescape/.rss

And you have experience setting up a twitter feed, since it is used for the Vos bit already in linkify.

My concerns: It could potentially clutter the forum pages, or be off-putting to existing/future linkify users. It could make page loading times longer, even if the feeds are hidden. (Although the sidebar could be opt in, which would solve both of those)

What it solves: People don't have to go further than the rsof to see the 3rd party news/announcements/teasers posted by jmods/the community. The gap between RSOF vs Reddit/Twitter is better bridged/smaller?

Also https://media.giphy.com/media/CSQHg30QEiSKk/giphy.gif
AO
Deputy-Owner :
The Nexus CC

08-Jun-2016 22:27:16 - Last edited on 08-Jun-2016 22:31:26 by AoDude

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
AoDude said :
My idea is a floating/hideable sidebar styled to match the rest of the forums with just a couple rss feeds in them. One with the /r/runescape feed, and one with a twitter feed full of all of the official jmod twitters

I have some ideas that I'll run by you later. I'll post a mock up of what I'm thinking later today :)

Oh looks like I have to do something about my linkify routine, its flagging that link as suspicious. It doesn't like "/." I'll have to change that.

Hevilmystic said :
My atttention has been almost entirely occupied by the RSOF thread, oops. I completely forgot about me asking on here.

I understand now, though, thank you, Indy! ­<3
Will have an option to do pretty much what you asked, thanks to AoDude :)

09-Jun-2016 01:28:38

AoDude

AoDude

Posts: 1,694 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Indecent Act said :
Oh looks like I have to do something about my linkify routine, its flagging that link as suspicious. It doesn't like "/." I'll have to change that.

To be fair, I don't think I have seen any other web dev do that before, and it really isn't a link for human consumption...

Edit: If the sidebar is a hit, it could provide the framework/real-estate for more features, like how reddit uses their side bar. There could be the most recent runescape youtube video , if runescape is live on twitch it could provide a link/alert that they are live, possibly show a cached list of recently viewed threads since login? (how hard would it be to fetch current post counts, and give an idea if there has been a reply)

I have methods in runeinfo for both youtube/twitch like I am describing...
AO
Deputy-Owner :
The Nexus CC

09-Jun-2016 01:35:03 - Last edited on 09-Jun-2016 01:51:11 by AoDude

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, real life has been distracting me :)

Okay before we get too far into the sidebar idea I think I should put a few things out here.

I do have some concerns with the side bar.

Firstly RS Linkify UI style is basically done in a way that you don't know its there. That's something I really want to preserve. I have two reasons for this. My persona taste, and to keep things light weight. Of course this is not set in stone, I believe in flexibility but I'd like to explore other options first.

I do kind of have a model or formula, perhaps its better described as set of rules/guild lines as far UI goes. This gets tricky because I need to fit in with the website's poor UI model. I'm very careful not to add too many complex layers on top of existing layers. Okay, I'm explaining myself badly, I don't even know exactly how to convey what's in my head so I'll stop.

One thing to keep in mind is the bookmark feature I'll be releasing will most likely be a side panel style interface. That takes up the full height of the screen on the right hand side. Multiple side panels isn't going to be a thing, and if I can find a way to do the bookmarks in a better way I'll drop the side panel for that too. As yet I haven't got a way around it :/

AoDude said :
There has been a few different posts saying how it would be different (better?) if reddit/twitter were embedded into the RSOF. The thing is, with linkify, this could be a possibility... Though I am neither sure how you would view that, nor how the wider user base would.

^Here's my first thought after reading that.

HTTP://i.imgur.com/gGDgcTn.png
and

HTTP://i.imgur.com/41hmVeQ.png

Edit:

@Everyone,

Toss some things back at me, I'm not closed to anything (well not totally). Hopefully you can see that I'm prepared to take this on if it'll work well for everyone. But I need to explore ideas and weigh up potential pros and cons.

09-Jun-2016 07:11:38 - Last edited on 09-Jun-2016 07:16:51 by Indecent Act

Body btw

Body btw

Posts: 19,488 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I LOVE the second spoiler, that is right up my alley. I can't believe you can even do that. That's amazing.

The first one I'm not particularly impressed with as it seems too far out of the way, but please take my opinion with a grain of salt. I'm very bad at determining things without first using them a bit myself. I could end up loving that as well, you know? :p

I'm not sure I fully understand the side bar/side panel thing (again, I'm not good with things until I experience them myself first), but I DO understand the bookmark feature we have coming and I am really excited.

--------

I understand exactly what you were talking about, wanting Linkify to remain BTS as much as possible, light weight and out of the way. I love that about Linkify. That is probably why I confuse so many Linkify features to be regular forum features until I learn better :p

A potential solution and I really do apologize if this has been discussed or I'm completely missing the mark on what you're asking. Color's? I think Rowley and you discussed this back and forth, and I think you said something about not being able to do it exactly with the way Chrome works.

What I mean about color's is, perhaps things can be color coded in a way that won't require a side panel for bookmarks. So if I read something, it turns a certain color.

If I favorite something, it turns a certain color. However, it seems this may not be possible due to Chrome limitations? :(

I'll stop here and let you digest some of this and I'm sorry if none of this makes sense and wasn't very helpful, I've been lurking and skimming this thread so I might have missed some things.

Edit: Lastly, regarding the bookmark feature, perhaps you could do something similar to how the second spoiler above looks for our bookmarked threads?

"Why are you posting threads, asking questions and making discussion???"

All I do anymore is fish - 2017

09-Jun-2016 08:17:32 - Last edited on 09-Jun-2016 08:42:00 by Body btw

Body btw

Body btw

Posts: 19,488 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
(ran out of characters)

If you decide on something more abrasive like AoDude's physical pop-up sidebar, I really wouldn't be oppose to it at all. I have one piece of advice when doing things you think will be controversial to Linkify users, and that is simply make the feature(s) optional :)

*slowly backs into the shadows and out the door* ­Coffee
"Why are you posting threads, asking questions and making discussion???"

All I do anymore is fish - 2017

09-Jun-2016 08:39:21

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Hiya Bodyy :)
Edit:
. . . . .
^ missed a 'y'

Bookmark s...

The colour limitations wont apply so much with the bookmark system as RS Linkify will be handling all aspects of that. It's only a issue with thread links because I pass it over to the browser and let chrome take care of it. Basically I do it that way so I'm not reinventing the wheel. Chrome does that stuff very well, it just means its out of my hands.

Also visited link colouring wont be a thing in bookmarks because you'll have to visit a page before you can bookmark it. Thus all bookmarks are in fact visited links.

---------------------------------------------------------

Social Media ....

As for the two images above, it's not so much one or the other. It would be both. I don't think it would feel right having sections omitted from the drop down list that are visible on the root directory. Though that's just a mock up. The drop down list would include the individual sections, not the main group name.

The reason why I'm tempted to go that way is it gives me lots of room to play with. Its also modular and can be expanded (more social media added) without any cost to screen real-estate or clutter.

The downside is, if the forum structure changes it'll break. But since that stuff isn't critical and RS Linkify can run without it, I don't think that's an issue. Besides if things change that much chances are RS Linkify wont work at all anyway.

Generally I'm reluctant to build too much into the existing forum structure, but I think this is a case where it could work really nicely :)

09-Jun-2016 08:45:03 - Last edited on 09-Jun-2016 09:26:29 by Indecent Act

Singularity
Aug Member 2023

Singularity

Posts: 97,457 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
This setting:

http://puu.sh/pmtJA.png

Doesn't appear to be enabling

As seen here: http://puu.sh/pmtLb.png

Tuffy's post should be "greenified" since it's been enabled. It works for my own posts and J-mods, but not F-Mod it seems.

I recently created a new user profile due to suspected corruption issues, and since I don't save my Linkify settings, everything was reset to default. I've re-enabled everything I had beforehand, but maybe I'm missing something? Not sure.

09-Jun-2016 14:40:21

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Hiya Singularity,

I'm going to make an assumption here and that's that this applies to all F-Mods, not just the one in the image you posted.

Since the other text colour options are working I think I know what may be going on, or not going on.

It looks as though your version of RS Linkify has not been able to retrieve the list of F-mod names. This list is only checked once a week since it very rarely changes. I don't know why this would have happened. Unless it's something to do with multiple user accounts, however I have multiple accounts on my PC with different configurations of RS Linkify and haven't experienced your issue. So I'm not really sure what's going on. But I have a feeling for what ever reason you don't have the F-Mod names.

I'm going to see if I can work out a way for you to get the names updated via the console, but I need to figure out a few things first. Then I'll post some instructions for you try :)

09-Jun-2016 15:29:08

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top