Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

AoDude

AoDude

Posts: 1,694 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hmm, that's an interesting concept... Though to me, if you are going to force them into a different forum section, the users may as well just go to the 3rd party sites. I am not sure that they will be used in that form. Just my opinion/speculation... I agree though it makes it seem integral, which has always been nice.

Here is a terrible shop of the concept I have in mind. Please note, I am not the greatest with graphics... Obviously it would be made in a way that blends in with the existing graphics better, but this is just to give a general concept, not even a complete idea.

http://puu.sh/pmzwe/6936c13cde.jpg

It's quite a large image, you will likely want to zoom in to see the details.

Edit: CMYK Image looked too dark. Switched to RGB...
AO
Deputy-Owner :
The Nexus CC

09-Jun-2016 15:46:23 - Last edited on 09-Jun-2016 16:25:00 by AoDude

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Singularity said :
As seen here: http://puu.sh/pmtLb.png

Try updating to Version 3.1.9.61.

I'm almost certain its what I mentioned in my previous post. Rather than get you to play with the console I've pushed out an update that will take care of it. This way if others have same issue they too will get the updated F-Mod list.

It may take a minute after updating, and it wont fire until you've viewed a forum page. But it will kick in.

09-Jun-2016 16:53:37

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

AoDude said :
It's quite a large image, you will likely want to zoom in to see the details.

Thanks for pic :)

That's pretty much what I envisioned.

Couple of things to consider...

Many forumers don't have the browser viewport maximised. Something I learned the hard way. Not really a big issue but it will obscure things for quite a number of users.

The big thing is, its impossible to have an persistent overlay/panel. So any navigation with panel open means it wont be there on the new page. I can call it to reopen after the page has loaded but...

- That looks really bad (annoying) having a popup/slide in after every page load.

- Its not going to be fast either. Twitter is generous with their rate limits, but twitter is also slow.

Just some things to consider, they are really big concerns for me. Particularly because people will expect the panel (and fair enough too) to be persistent. The page will have rendered well before the panel is ready.

09-Jun-2016 17:07:30 - Last edited on 09-Jun-2016 17:27:24 by Indecent Act

AoDude

AoDude

Let me get into something theoretical. As I understand it, jquery has a clean iframe replacement. What if linkify split the page into 2 distinct layers. (coding wise) A high layer with the menu/sidebar, and potentially other things. And a low layer that would sort-of act like an iframe, but has all forums page and linkified content. Links within scope would then be modified to run the required jquery ajax script to reload the lower layer to the appropriate page/content, rather than calling a full page reload.

In effect, the upper layer which had the social media would persist, and never have to reload.

Brainstorming, it wouldn't surprise me if that was a can of worms.
AO
Deputy-Owner :
The Nexus CC

09-Jun-2016 17:52:56 - Last edited on 09-Jun-2016 17:57:11 by AoDude

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

I did a beta test of ajax loading the forum pages some time ago.

It looked really nice not having pages refresh.

But these pages are error prone, the scripts throw errors even on a good day. Since the pages don't get refreshed it becomes accumulative. Slower and slower loading, memory leaks, and possible stack overflows are the result.

Pages have to be perfect with ajax. These are not.

But even if they were perfect, jmod posts are not. They at times have unclosed tags, and also script errors. A single jmod post can cause hell. Even without ajax jmod posts are sometimes evil. RS Linkify treads carefully when it comes to their posts. If a script tag is detected RS Linkify aborts. Its better to die gracefully than crash and burn.

I think you really need to be 100% in control of the content if wish load entire pages via ajax.

Don't mean to sound negative, but during the last 3 years I have tried a lot of things. I was really disappointed with the instability. These pages have to be refreshed!

09-Jun-2016 18:19:29 - Last edited on 09-Jun-2016 18:22:00 by Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Its a shame, the ajax thing could have been awesome.

I had the forums split screen. With parent directories on the left and their children on the right.

So when you click a thread link on the left, the right side showed the posts.

It went the same way with the root view on the left, sub sections on the right.

The left and right fed off each other, each highlighting the appropriate related content, the left was always the parent of the right. Was amazing for navigation. But also disastrous for stability.

I put so much into that, more than any other update at the time. Perhaps more than any other update to this very day. I tried all sorts of things to make it viable. Even making the pages refresh after X views, or making some pages always load (forum root view). That did help with stability, but having inconsistent page behaviour was jarring. That was the biggest complaint and only complaint.

Tbh consistency is everything. Everything else is secondary. That's my main policy and I couldn't get past that point. I wont compromise on that, so all that work never made it. We got a taste of dynamic split screen forums and saw what could have been, but nothing more.

I had some big plans for the forums. But some things just cant be done properly. Even if they can work, I've learnt I must be careful.....

...It's a fine line between RS Linkify being a tool and a project for me, or me being a slave to forums.

09-Jun-2016 18:28:04 - Last edited on 09-Jun-2016 18:47:17 by Indecent Act

Body btw

Body btw

Posts: 19,488 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I can see why AoDude would make the "don't force them into another forum section entirely argument" but I honestly wouldn't mind. It's a real convenient and familiar thing for me on the forums, and it would compile all the social media stuff I've been wanting right on my beloved forums :)

Perhaps there is a middle ground, rather than having a massive side-bar pop up thing that will be slow, perhaps there could be a little notification bell somewhere next to VoS?

Certainly there could be a fine middle ground between the two ideas, but I do see where Indy is coming from and I personally don't have my forum's window maximised, it's rather small to allow for scaping.
"Why are you posting threads, asking questions and making discussion???"

All I do anymore is fish - 2017

09-Jun-2016 18:51:17

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

That's fairly typical Bodyy. That's how many use the forums. It's something I was unaware of in the early days.

I have duel monitors on my desktop and have had for many years. So what looks great for me can be totally impracticable for someone else.

Software shouldn't interfere with or make the users reconfigure their setup. Not saying that's the case with the side panel, but these are things that a dev should never lose sight of.

Getting back to the social media. I appreciate the feedback.

I'm going to be honest here and show my true colours. Brace yourselves! Nah hopefully its not too frightening :)

I have explained the practical side of things, the limitations and issues. But there is also a personal bias too.

When I ask myself, do I need to see social media headlines on every forum page, I have to be honest and say no. I then have to ask am I so different from the average RS Linkify user?

So I have that in my head, and at the same technical limitations to deal with. The limitations and working around them is good bit, I do like that. But the end result is what counts. It has to be a good result.

The other side of it is, I'd like that information to be accessible, but how accessible?

For example. Id turn it off and never use it. But I would visit a forum section ( image here ) now and then to see what's happening.

I need to sleep on it, I need to get other people's perspective.

So there, that's my bias, and also my technical issues. I feel better about being open about it. I try not to be clouded by my personal opinions, but at the end of the day, they are a part of RS Linkify.

09-Jun-2016 19:13:01 - Last edited on 09-Jun-2016 19:37:12 by Indecent Act

Nelson
Dec Member 2023

Nelson

Posts: 1,977 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
i like the subsection idea a lot more than the "live feed" concept. love the description of the twitter forum lol, reminds me of your rant.

the "useful" tweets are usually replies to other players. i'm not sure if you'd be able to incorporate that or even want to.

that's the one thing that annoys me about this whole conversation. looking at the jmod list isn't enough, you have to dig through their 15 different convos to find all the useful/relevant info of whatever they just teased.

09-Jun-2016 19:53:28

AoDude

AoDude

Indecent Act said :
Tbh consistency is everything. Everything else is secondary. That's my main policy and I couldn't get past that point. I wont compromise on that, so all that work never made it. We got a taste of dynamic split screen forums and saw what could have been, but nothing more.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't expect consistency to be sacrificed. I can agree that is something that shouldn't be compromised.

While I knew there were some coding errors made with the forum software/web pages, and that I wouldn't expect some jmods to close tags properly/ect; I didn't know that it was so bad it could cause such failures. And like I said, it wouldn't surprise me if it were a can of worms, and that is exactly what it sounds like now.

I am at a loss for more brainstorms at the moment, but I will keep things in my mind, see if anything turns up...
AO
Deputy-Owner :
The Nexus CC

09-Jun-2016 20:07:53 - Last edited on 09-Jun-2016 20:14:46 by AoDude

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top