Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Hevilmystic
Feb Member 2022

Hevilmystic

Posts: 60,012 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Could it not be something as simple as adding a 'v' to the end of any imgur.com/bla.gif url and then embedding the gifv (webm)?

Edit: I understand some people would still like to use actual gifs rather than webms, forgot about that actually, never mind.

Maybe a 'convert all imgur gifs to webm' option?

Test of a gif, relatively small (and wasn't originally a gifv/webm):

http://i.imgur.com/4EA25an.gif

Test of one with a v added:

http://i.imgur.com/4EA25an.gifv

Edit v2: I tested the above on a gif that's over 2 years old on Imgur (so implemented before they converted large gifs into webm), and it still automatically makes it a webm, so I don't think there would be a huge problem.
Unslain Bosses - Clan

28-Feb-2015 11:02:41 - Last edited on 28-Feb-2015 11:09:16 by Hevilmystic

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Okay I found the problem with settings, Version 3.1.7.43 is uploaded now, should be live in the next 20-30 min. Very sorry about that.

Your idea with webm is fine as far as a HTML5 video format goes. That 42 mb gif would be smaller as a HTML video. Even if it wasn't smaller it wouldn't freeze the browser or cause any issues.

But it's not a fix for all gifs, that will only work for imgur hosted files. If that was gif uploaded to puush, or simply hosted somewhere else, there will likely be no fallback to HTML5 video formats.

I need to handle all gifs regardless of their host. I'm pretty sure I can do it, it'll just take some testing.

28-Feb-2015 11:20:49

Ryan M
May Member 2008

Ryan M

Posts: 3,095 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Looking into housekeeping on the first page... you can save at least 876 characters by removing the codes below <3 and above bump in post 6. That is, whenever you remove most of them and replace them with the ones being kept. I don't think I've seen anyone request a code before though.

Also your to-do list from post 9:
- Add Cancel button to edit post — Reskin might get it. Otherwise, yes.
- Add titles to avatar (top page) — Reskin and new script are fine w/o.
- Bookmarks — Scrapped? Don't mind it. Based on quote at bottom.
- Custom skins for forums (hold) — Feature creep. We know we can though.
- Fix Cancel return location — Where are cancel options on the forums?
- Gradient backgrounds (hold) — RGBA (Reskin) > Gradient (Current)
- Ignore list (not in the future) — I can see why. Conflicts.
- Inline post editing — That's a lot of bug testing. WYSIWYG > RTE.
- Input alt codes quickly (working) — Don't know about this.
- Right click add to clan/friends list — Feature creep.

Ones you were unsure about:
- Import and update friends list — Feature creep.
- Monitor thread status (page position, number of posts, etc)
- Monitor the current forum section and update without needing to refresh page

AJAX isn't nice when the window is small unless you're playing off Wikia or Wikipedia which can handle all the requests. So I don't see the other two you were unsure about happening. Your statement of no automated requests is best kept. :)

There is http://dev.wikia.com/wiki/AjaxRC if you really want to build off of something for a page refresh though. Stripping the Wikia hacks and styles shouldn't be too hard if you ever decide to go this route.

Indecent Act said :
http://i.imgur.com/CN06oOk.png

28-Feb-2015 11:28:00

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I can't wait to hack into page #1 and cull it down.

I wont comment on everything, just things that may need clarifying. So the lack of comments means agreed :)

- Fix Cancel return location — Where are cancel options on the forums?

There is or was a cancel button on the thread creation page.
The return buttons are just return to forum. What needs fixing is if you are on page 2 or higher of a sub forum and view a thread, the button takes you to page one of the sub section rather than the last page your were on. Easy to fix just haven't got around to it.

- Ignore list (not in the future) — I can see why. Conflicts.

I never wanted this. I believe any issues or problems that pertain to this topic require more than software solution.

However the new options for post backgrounds will allow you to enter you're own css rules. A list of names can be dedicated to custom css rules, {display:none} for example. Even though that wasn't intended for ignore, the extra freedom I'm giving allows for some potential creative use.

- Import and update friends list — Feature creep.

Already done it and have it working in the new options.

- Monitor thread status (page position, number of posts, etc)

As you know, I'm keeping away from this.