Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Lifer
Jul Member 2008

Lifer

Posts: 12,424 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Morgan said :
I don't think it's "out of hand". Linkify already reaches clan info, I don't see how different that would be.

Aw... Now I really want this as a feature :P Would be nice to know if someone's online straight from the forums instead of having to go to clan page!

Hope Indy agrees :D

Not out of hand. There was a Jquery before RS3 website update that let you see player's clan, world, online status etc. in JSON-style data.

But that got lost and I'm not sure if there's one like that anymore. Will have to check the API.

04-Jan-2015 20:54:13

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The api was changed to honour the player's privacy settings because it was being abused. It now has dependencies and conditions that must be met before you can get a json object returned. It's limited compared to how it once was.

Somewhere on this thread I gave a working example using ajax to return the jsnon object. It returns clan, online status, and world/lobby.

I cant find the post now, but for this to work in an ajax request, you must have a valid session, not make a cross origin call, and the payer must either have private chat set to public or have each other added with chat settings set to appear online.

RS Linkify is already making that call when viewing posts, I'm just not using all the information contained in the response. So for me it's easy to include a player's relationship online status.

I never went ahead with it because most people will appear offline due to the fact you can't have every player added and not all players have their private chat open.

In conclusion, as long as a player's privacy settings are honoured I'm okay with giving it a try.

Edit: so many typos, must have too much blood in my caffeine system :/

04-Jan-2015 23:35:49 - Last edited on 04-Jan-2015 23:38:57 by Indecent Act

Morgan

Morgan

Posts: 36,054 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
People already check if others are online by visiting clan pages manually. The only thing this update did is take the hassle out of that.

Again, the information is open to everyone. There's no privacy breach here.

This is my opinion, of course, if people don't like it then I'm fine with a roll back.

05-Jan-2015 02:46:11 - Last edited on 05-Jan-2015 02:47:54 by Morgan

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top