Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
It sure is possible to bookmark posts (post #5416 on this thread) , I'd use the QFC's for the entire bookmarking system.

Bookmarking posts kills two birds with one stone in that it points to a specific page anyway.

The idea you suggested with remembering the last page you visited I really like.

This is just a suggestion but perhaps two types of bookmarks, Static and Dynamic. I don't think it would be confusing if done properly.

Edit: Dynamic remembering the last page viewed.

If that's not a good idea, there is always a manual option to update a bookmark, but then we lose the automated remembering aspect and that would be a shame imo.

Another Edit:

Pertaining to dynamic bookmarks, last page viewed probably should only be remembered if it's greater than the last stored page. I sometimes read the last pages of thread backwards (I know it's probably weird but we wont go into that) but I'd want the dynamic bookmark to return to the highest page number I viewed not necessarily the last page I viewed.

19-Sep-2014 14:25:43 - Last edited on 19-Sep-2014 14:37:40 by Indecent Act

Hevilmystic
Feb Member 2022

Hevilmystic

Posts: 60,012 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Indecent Act said :
This is just a suggestion but perhaps two types of bookmarks, Static and Dynamic. I don't think it would be confusing if done properly.

Edit: Dynamic remembering the last page viewed.

I would love the ease of it remembering, it would be a really nice addition to threads that are bound to get a lot of posts in a very short amount of time (new stickies, chat lounge, controversial topics, grace period, 120 capes, sof, oh the list is endless I'll stop here before I hit the character limit)

But I think adding manual bookmarks is also a good idea, if you could make both of them work in sync I think it would be a very, very nice update to Linkify.

Edit:

Indecent Act said :
Pertaining to dynamic bookmarks, last page viewed probably should only be remembered if it's greater than the last stored page. I sometimes read the last pages of thread backwards (I know it's probably weird but we wont go into that) but I'd want the dynamic bookmark to return to the highest page number I viewed not necessarily the last page I viewed.

I sometimes do that too, but I think I would stop doing that if Linkify remembered where I was. On big topics, I read back until I get back to where I was, because that's easier than reading from the start (and/or guessing where I was)
Unslain Bosses - Clan

19-Sep-2014 14:39:17 - Last edited on 19-Sep-2014 14:40:39 by Hevilmystic

Morgan

Morgan

Posts: 36,054 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Oh, I wanted to report a bug!

If you head to a player's profile and click on "Show" under "posts by user", it'll take you to the thread and show you their posts. The "thread author" icon that appears beneath the avatar displays for the person from which the profile belongs to. Here's an example of what I mean:
http://puu.sh/bFhHu.png

The forums display the post just fine, but Linkify is telling me I created the thread even though I didn't.

Another thing that occurs is when I click on "Show on thread", the "thread author" icon remains and the issue isn't fixed.

E.g:
http://puu.sh/bFi75.png

That's all!

19-Sep-2014 14:53:38

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

This is good, getting some nice ideas down. Tossing around these things brings many potential issues up before coding and that's huge plus. :)

Okay with what I said about dynamic only updating when the page number is higher than the stored number, changing our habits (reading thread backwards) wont help.

Use the link I posted at the top of this page for example and assume a dynamic bookmark is used for this thread. If the last page is stored even when it's lower than the saved page, and you click that link and then go on to read a different thread it's messed up in that you wont return to this page via the bookmark.

If the thread has grown the next time you return, you'll back where that link left you with no quick navigation to where you were. The same would apply with quotes clicking the
said
link and landing on bookmarked thread will mess it up.

I think saving new data should only be done when new page is greater than saved page.

Not even sure if what I posted is clear :/

19-Sep-2014 14:56:37 - Last edited on 19-Sep-2014 15:06:12 by Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

@Morgy,

Edit: I misread.

Tbh, I have known about this for a while, a fix for it is on the way (soon-ish). I know why it's happening, I just need to get my head around the code I've written.

19-Sep-2014 15:00:51 - Last edited on 19-Sep-2014 15:04:15 by Indecent Act

Blasty
Feb Member 2017

Blasty

Posts: 9,319 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Suggestion: Could twitch video links be made embedded?

Edit: Could google spreadsheets also be made embedded?

Example embeddable iframe source:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xqDfLsqIC7QvlI558OavHGsUG-RNZ_S9IJvXLfrkRuQ/pubhtml

Edit: Documents too, example embedded iframe source:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CfNAhXUaW4VewOUHLyURa442NuaL3T8pdk2M9iDYgDo/pub?embedded=true

(must be published for the link to work)

Edit: PDFs too?

­­­­­­­­­­­­ .:
Blasty
the Blue
:.­­­­­­­­­
Blasty
// @BlastytheBlue // Blasty#5167
| Co-owner of Mine Nation

19-Sep-2014 19:15:42 - Last edited on 19-Sep-2014 19:35:17 by Blasty

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top