Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
^ yep that colour thing. Though that looks much worse than mine.

http://puu.sh/ajGTg.png

I don't get it on all pages though, and disabling Linkify doesn't fix it. Not sure if that's the same for you.

If others can reproduce that glitch (or similar) without RS Linkify running then I have a good idea what's going on.

Hevilmystic said :
I didn't take it that the user is at fault, at all, don't worry!

-

It could be something as simple as Hardware acceleration whilst browsing, or something?

Yeah it may be something like that. And thanks I'm not worried now, just wasn't sure how I came across :)

Oh I have just written some code to sort out smileys in links, not sure if there will be adverse side effects so I'll run it for a day or two before updating.

20-Jul-2014 19:47:58

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Thank you so much Amaethwr, I really appreciate your help with this. I can't thank you enough ­<3 :)

Okay the good news (for me it's good news) is that it's not RS Linkify causing it.

I haven't done an update recently enough to coincide with this glitch and the updates I have done are completely unrelated so it was unlikely something I did.

I have a theory why this is happening and it may also be the cause of some other issues too.

I haven't read anything official as yet but I noticed that chrome (since it's last update) is now much stricter on how it handles javascript.

Sloppy or depreciated code that in the past didn't cause problems seems to be now spitting the dummy.

I found this out on my site, I had some code that was poorly written and all browsers seemed to handle it fine, but since chrome updated it failed in a big way. The solution was easy for me, I just had to adhere to strict coding standards (I didn't know as much as I do now back then) and the issues were resolved.

I know for a fact lots code on the forums is old, it may simply be that chrome's javascript engine wont tolerate it any more. This is only speculation based on my recent experiences.

If I'm right, it's actually a very good thing, because deprecated code, using bad practices, and poor coding standards should not be encouraged.

I may be wrong about this, but I have a feeling neglected web sites are going to feel it more and more and time passes.

20-Jul-2014 20:21:07

Amaethwr
Aug Member 2008

Amaethwr

Posts: 14,634 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Np :)

Guess it'd be nice if Jagex updated the forums (hopefully cut down on all the images etc so it doesn't kill mobile data..), would you have to rewrite much of Linkify, or could you just sort of cut and paste bits? :P

http://puu.sh/ajKM3.png
Selective Completionist

20-Jul-2014 20:34:37

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Amaethwr said :
would you have to rewrite much of Linkify, or could you just sort of cut and paste bits?

Probably a bit of both, it's hard to say.

Hevilmystic said :
I feel somewhat useless... But I don't get this issue at all. :x

I don't get it on either version of Chrome, Linkify or not. I don't get it if I have custom colours set, rather than the default either.

Well knowing that you don't have an issue is actually quite helpful :)

It's strange though, for me on this page I have no issues with the colour menu, but on other pages I do.

20-Jul-2014 21:18:36 - Last edited on 20-Jul-2014 21:32:46 by Indecent Act

Hevilmystic
Feb Member 2022

Hevilmystic

Posts: 60,012 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
-should have checked other threads-

Anyway, it doesn't happen on 64 bit chrome, I can post my version info on there if you would like it.... As for my version info on here, it'll be at the bottom.

As for the colours, I made a gfycat of what happens:

http://zippy.gfycat.com/SharpEveryAlaskankleekai.webm

It seems to think the box finishes at "Red" until you hover back over 'colours', at least for me.

My Version Info...

RS-Linkify Version: 3.0.9.4
Chrome Version: 36.0.1985.125
Compiled for: Win32
Language: en-GB
Blood Caffeine Level: 68% Caffeine, 32% Blood. (Feeling Normal.)

Edit: My main version of Chrome, for good measure. (Yay, sometimes dev versions fix stuff, rather than breaking it!)

My Version Info...

RS-Linkify Version: 3.0.9.4
Chrome Version: 38.0.2098.0
Compiled for: Win32
Language: en-GB
Blood Caffeine Level: 49% Caffeine, 51% Blood. (Not quite awake yet.)
Unslain Bosses - Clan

20-Jul-2014 21:59:16 - Last edited on 20-Jul-2014 22:01:18 by Hevilmystic

Morgan

Morgan

Posts: 36,054 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Keighlea said :
Morgan said :
Indecent Act said :
Damn, missing an 'e'.

I'm certain my typing is getting worse as I get older. I'm not the worst speller, but my typing is atrocious!
Dw we still like you :D

love* ... Your typing is getting pretty bad there, too, Morgy!

-drops off a cuppa for Indy on my way to bed- ­<3

­­­­ The Purple Sorceress ­­­­
Yes, you're right!! We still love you Indy ­<3

20-Jul-2014 22:07:15

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top