Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Lust
Feb Member 2012

Lust

Posts: 17,455 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hiya! This is kind of random, but was just going through a thread and noticed this:
A bit of flashing
HTTP://i.imgur.com/4imKFDP.gif

I think its probably on my end as no-one seems to have noticed. Scrolling down so some of it is not visible seems to stop the flashing.

help.

20-Jul-2014 12:08:25

Amaethwr
Aug Member 2008

Amaethwr

Posts: 14,634 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Possu 67 said :
I don't know if you're that kind of superbeing but could you try to fix this from the links?
Original message details are unavailable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v =p zgQ5VnfoQA

loldg
Hevilmystic said :
What is broken exactly? It appears correctly for me.
Think they mean with smileys on, the "= p" after "watch?v" turns into a smiley so the link doesn't work right.

http://puu.sh/ajk89.png

If there's no Linkifix for it, Possu, what I do is quote the post, highlight the link and drag it up to the URL bar.

E: No idea about that, itsGrace :S
Selective Completionist

20-Jul-2014 13:02:47 - Last edited on 20-Jul-2014 13:03:16 by Amaethwr

Hevilmystic
Feb Member 2022

Hevilmystic

Posts: 60,012 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Lust said :
I think its probably on my end as no-one seems to have noticed. Scrolling down so some of it is not visible seems to stop the flashing.

It's probably down to Manks' gif. Is your browser/Flash fully updated?

Edit: Source for Grace's issue for you, Indy:

Original message details are unavailable.
­­

-

Amaethwr said :
Think they mean with smileys on, the "= p" after "watch?v" turns into a smiley so the link doesn't work right.

Oh, I have smileys off. I thought that sort of problem was avoided by Linkify already, but I guess not.
Unslain Bosses - Clan

20-Jul-2014 13:51:48 - Last edited on 20-Jul-2014 13:56:35 by Hevilmystic

Possu 67
Jul Member 2009

Possu 67

Posts: 5,491 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Lust said :
Hiya! This is kind of random, but was just going through a thread and noticed this:
A bit of flashing
HTTP://i.imgur.com/4imKFDP.gif

It's the signature gif causing it :I
Guardian of the Rules of Ancient Forums:
~1~ Thou shalt not wryte on pad grammer.
~2~ Thou shalt not act as 79% of thine fellow players and use 29% incorrect statistics.

20-Jul-2014 16:18:50

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
@itsGrace, np here looking at those gifs.

So it looks like it will be on your end :/

With these issues include the new
[ version info]
tag in you post. That way I might be eliminate some possibilities.

That looks very annoying though, I'm happy to try to help if I have more info. Does opening this gifs in a new tab make them stop glitching?

­­­­

@Possu 67,

Okay there are two things that can be done with this.

RS Linkify puts a smiley toggle on your profile page, that's there because smiles in links have been an issue ever since I can remember on HLF.

The other way to sort it, is to get to people to post youtube links correctly.

The original link posted...

ht tps://www.youtube.com/watch?v= pzgQ5VnfoQA

should be...

ht tp://yout u.be/pzgQ5VnfoQA

We need to somehow politely educate these people on posting links and using the share option. This way all users both linkify and non linkify get the link without smiles.

20-Jul-2014 16:35:37 - Last edited on 20-Jul-2014 16:38:44 by Indecent Act

Hevilmystic
Feb Member 2022

Hevilmystic

Posts: 60,012 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Yeah, but....

Right click > "Copy video URL" / "Copy Video URL at this time" both give some variation of the first link. And it's much easier to just use either of those two (or in cases which the latter has to be used), or just copying it from your address bar.

It's not necessarily the users' fault, it's just Google have made it more annoying to get the short link in comparison to the long links.
Unslain Bosses - Clan

20-Jul-2014 16:52:40

Amaethwr
Aug Member 2008

Amaethwr

Posts: 14,634 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile

I just checked that gif, and I also get the flashing. :S But if I quote the post and preview, it doesn't flash.

My Version Info...

RS-Linkify Version: 3.0.9.4
Chrome Version: 36.0.1985.125
Compiled for: Win32
Language: en-GB
Blood Caffeine Level: 8% Caffeine, 92% Blood. (Are you even alive?)

Selective Completionist

20-Jul-2014 17:51:16

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I agree with you Rowley that the friendly url is less convenient to get.

I hope you didn't take my post as saying the user at fault. Because it's not a matter putting blame on someone from my perspective. Many people don't even know that option provides a different url. There is nothing to indicate that it gives a differently formatted link.

But for posting on these forums, that share option is the way to go.

Tbh I haven't looked closely at removing the smiles from links. If I remember correctly the HTML for the smiles messed up my link detection, meaning it just got ignored and treated as plain text.

I might revisit my link detection a bit later and see what I can do.

­­­­

Amaethwr said :
I just checked that gif, and I also get the flashing. :S But if I quote the post and preview, it doesn't flash.

That's interesting, the only difference with your version info and mine is you're using windows 8. I doubt that's causing an issues though.

I'm curious to know how that gif looks when opened in a new tab.

Also I have found some other issues just now. The colour drop down for BB Colours is glitched, but only on some pages. It's glitched with and without RS Linkify, so I have no idea what's changed and what's going on. Strangely it's glitched on this page but not on the previous with linkify running. I noticed this on other forum sections too.

20-Jul-2014 18:20:42 - Last edited on 20-Jul-2014 18:27:11 by Indecent Act

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top