Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Morgan

Morgan

Posts: 36,054 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hey..

Would it be possible to add a feature that'd auto-complete names you type? For example, let's say Indy posted above me, I'd simply type "Ind" and Linkify would offer/suggest to autocomplete the name for me for convenience, since "Indecent Act" is quite long.

What do you think?

04-Feb-2014 11:59:29

Cyanid
Jan Member 2006

Cyanid

Posts: 24,133 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Morgan said :
What do you think?

my god no. if ppl start callin me cyanide x tryin to act all professional and all i think itd just annoy me more than anything.

..::;;::..
¸¤¹´`¹¤¸
Your Friendly, Neighborhood
¸¤¹´`¹¤¸
`¹¤¸¸¤¹´
`¹¤¸¸¤¹´
Mustache
`¹¤¸¸¤¹´
`¹¤¸¸¤¹´

04-Feb-2014 21:15:46

Keighlea

Keighlea

Posts: 40,455 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Greetings Cyanide X, I believe your comment does hold some truth to it! I think it would also train people to be lazy

-types 'Hi mor' on forums-
-hits Tab to auto complete Morgan-
-says "Hi mor" in game-

On the plus side though, it would prevent people from mis-spelling a name. Perhaps that's something that could be investigated, if allowed by linkify?

I know Chrome has a folder and file where it stores custom dictionary entries, is it possible for Linkify to progressively write player names into that dictionary so a misspelled name on a page would highlight with a red line?

­­­­
Fun fact: Zaros uses Linkify
­­­­
Lady of Zaros

Proud Linkify user - Become one of the Family!

05-Feb-2014 01:36:11

Klyntar

Klyntar

Posts: 7,177 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
That would be a huge list of people, think of how many maxed players there are....
And if just a full database of names was used, what would be the point if 3000 people popped up for each letter you enter? What about name changes? The only way I could see this being possible on a reasonable scale would be to have a whitelist in the settings of Linkify for people to add their own names to it, and even then the player would need to have a list ahead of time for what they'd add.

As Keighlea said, all it would really be promoting is laziness. I mean if you can't spell a name, just highlight name ctrl+C/ctrl+V. Just seems like far too much work and gathering involved to make it happen for such little use, imo.

­­
Shh...
No one will know...
­­

05-Feb-2014 02:01:48 - Last edited on 05-Feb-2014 02:02:43 by Klyntar

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
It's do-able, but it would be a huge resource running all the time just on the off chance you might type a name.

Every individual key stroke listened to and cross-referenced with names. Having  words popping up you don't want. I can think of many words that start 'mor' or 'ind', having a name popup would be annoying for me.

Would most likely cause some typing latency too, because there are lots of names to check every time you press a key.

The thing is I don't think it would be an improvement, auto complete works in the right situations, like in a search box. My old school skill calcs use auto complete so I'm familiar with it. But here where names are common usage words, items or game related makes me think it would be of little benefit.

Edit:
There maybe other ways to get a name into the text area though.
http://puu.sh/6KqW3.jpg
But I'm still not sure about it, but the reply button would actually mean reply in this example.

05-Feb-2014 03:07:49 - Last edited on 05-Feb-2014 03:27:15 by Indecent Act

Cyanid
Jan Member 2006

Cyanid

Posts: 24,133 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
indy can you make an app that types out my entire post for me. For example, I type one word or phrase and it writes several paragraphs for me?

ty in advance

¸¤¹´`¹¤¸
Your Friendly, Neighborhood
¸¤¹´`¹¤¸
`¹¤¸¸¤¹´
`¹¤¸¸¤¹´
Mustache
`¹¤¸¸¤¹´
`¹¤¸¸¤¹´

05-Feb-2014 03:27:56

Faded Myths

Faded Myths

Posts: 3,611 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
On the auto-name typing idea... couldn't it just scan the names of people who have posted on the current page, as that's normally who you're replying to anyway in most cases. That way it's only a maximum of 10 names to scan through at most.

­­­­
°
FàÐéÐ Mÿ
°

°
­Zaros
°
­­­­

05-Feb-2014 10:14:40

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top