Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Ceecs
Mar Member 2010

Ceecs

Posts: 16,166 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Got contact lenses now Morgan?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
­­­­­armadyl
Maxed Ceecs - Leader of Ceecs Clan
­armadyl­­­­
Ceecs - leader of Ceecs Clan
Rank in Star Find, Harmed Ore, Beach FC | Ex-Rank in Fast SC

Ceecs Clan: DUTCH ONLY RS3 clan & Winner of the Iron Skilled Cup 2015!

10-Jan-2014 13:10:38

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
@Blasty and Keighlea,

Patch notes is a nice idea, I'm going to redo the options page soon so I'll work that into it :)

Mod Slayer's post is broken before it's even quoted.

The thing is viewing the source in a browser only displays the browsers interpretation of the page. It doesn't show the original code that's served from the domain. What we see is the code after the browser has attempted to correct errors, thus viewing source doesn't always give an accurate picture of what's going on.

What's happening is Mod Slayer's sig is wrapping around and including the quote button. This goes against typical page layout and RS Linkify can get thrown out by this. Simply the page content isn't what's expected.

Here's the actual code before the browser gets it.
http://puu.sh/6g2gP.png

My problem is I can't handle all the broken code Jmod submit on these forums. The amount of poorly coded jmod signatures is widespread. I have offered to fix them but they aren't interested.

Since the HTML is rarely closed properly I'd have to make a guess where it starts and ends, this would not be perfect and would cause other issues.

I have actually played around with Jmod sigs and got them to render correctly in quotes, however it only works if there are no errors or if I know in advance what the errors are. If someone knows a one size fits all solution I'm happy to give it a try but in this example RS Linkify wouldn't remove the HTML becasue it reads as though the reply button is in there.

Here's how chrome interprets the page and applies it's own guess at what the code should be.
http://puu.sh/6fZzS.png
In this case chrome added closing tags and removes some stuff but it can only guess at what the author intended. End result is errors are patched but the page isn't the way it's meant to be. It would be so much simpler if they just got the very basics right.

TL :D R: I've sacked people for less.

10-Jan-2014 14:34:32 - Last edited on 10-Jan-2014 17:43:01 by Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Meredith wtf said :
Not to mention that they're using font elements

I mean what even is separation of content and presentation
So true and all those depreciated tags, damn it almost makes me weep.

Blasty said :
Lol, I didn't even check the code of the signature itself.

That's... interesting :p

i

­­
­­<
Blasty
the Blue
>­­
­­
Don't view source within the browser. Dump the source via ajax, that way you don't get modifications made by the browser. It can be quite an eye opener.

I just went to the page that Keighlea linked me to, opened console and pasted my generic source viewing code. I use this lots, it's very handy and at least you get the true picture.

var xhr = new XMLHttpRequest();
xhr.open("GET", document.URL, false);
xhr.onload = function () {
if (xhr.readyState === 4) {
if (xhr.status === 200) {
console.log(xhr.responseText);
}
}
};
xhr.send(null);

10-Jan-2014 15:12:32 - Last edited on 10-Jan-2014 15:19:58 by Indecent Act

Keighlea

Keighlea

Posts: 40,455 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I'm back to bother you more, but I bring a peace offering! -sets down the coffee pot and backs away slowly-

You said... At some point, on some thread, that you're able to use the t= thing on youtube videos, and when linkify embeds it it'll play from that point. That's never worked for me :( ... For example, this video,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QNyGKhfRMHc#t=152

Starts from the beginning for me. Is there a setting I'm not seeing for that?

­­­­
~~~~~Zaros will return!~~~~~
Are you prepared for his might?
­­­­
Lady of Zaros

Proud Linkify user - Become one of the Family!

10-Jan-2014 18:24:16

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top