RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Lil Indecent

Lil Indecent

Posts: 447 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Amaethwr said :
Sounds good!

Lil Indecent said :
I'm not yet sure how to handle duplicate domains but I think I can work out something
Is there a way to make exceptions for more specific URLs? Like if "reddit.com" was blacklisted (for whatever reason) but "reddit.com/r/runescape" was whitelisted, then that specific one would generate a link

Or a way to prioritise the whitelist over the blacklist, so..
• Linkify checks the page for "reddit.com/r/runescape" because it's on the whitelist
• Linkify linkifies the link
• The blacklist sees "reddit.com", but, since the whitelist has already worked on it, does nothing

I think a situation like that would be quite uncommon, but I suppose someone could do it

And no concerns here :)

Nice timing with your post. I've just been working on the whitelist and getting it to work with the blacklist.

Here's an answer (I hope). Simply adding "reddit.com/r/runescape" to your whitelist means only content from the runescape reddit will be embedded/linkified. The rest of reddit will be ignored by RS Linkify so no need to add reddit to the blacklist.

I'm writing it in such a what that the blacklist takes priority over the white list. So if you were to add "reddit.com/r/runescape" to the whitelist and "reddit.com" to the blacklist no reddit embedding/hyperlinking will occur.

Since whitelist is for allowing and blacklist is for blocking I have made it that blocking takes priority because that only strengthens security, the other way weakens it.

It also means you can whitelist a domain and block parts of it if you wish. You could allow all of reddit by whitelisting it and then the add a single subreddit to your black list.

Example: Allows all of reddit except for one (or more) sub reddit(s)

Whitelist: reddit.com
Blacklist: reddit.com/r/evilstuff

Trying to make it as modular as possible, thus url paths rather than domain names.

11-May-2017 13:02:04 - Last edited on 11-May-2017 13:19:35 by Lil Indecent

Lil Indecent

Lil Indecent

Ran out of characters, the situation you mentioned is more common than you may think and was partly the reason why the whitelist never returned after the forum re-skin.

Having already been there before with the two lists I have a better understanding how people used it, so this time around I'm able to accommodate everyone's needs alot better.

Right now I'm in the process of making a default (optional) whitelist. See pic

http://i.imgur.com/HlyCxuB.png

I just want to cover the basics and give everyone the options to add/remove or turn it off if they wish.

Notice I'm not using domain names only, I'm using url paths. There is a reason for that. It gives more flexibility working with paths (like in the reddit example in my last post). It also means people can block http versions of pages while still allowing https. It also means you can block a particular meme without blocking the entire image hosting site. It gives lots of flexibility without making things too complicated.

I don't want to make an exhaustive default list, but if anyone can think of urls to add, please let me know and I'll definitely consider it :)

11-May-2017 13:14:29 - Last edited on 11-May-2017 13:18:59 by Lil Indecent

Amaethwr
Aug Member 2008

Amaethwr

Posts: 14,634 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Lil Indecent said :
Since whitelist is for allowing and blacklist is for blocking I have made it that blocking takes priority because that only strengthens security, the other way weakens it.
Ah, yea fair enough, I wasn't sure which way round would be better :P

Lil Indecent said :
It also means you can block a particular meme without blocking the entire image hosting site.
*insert Nos' signature image link here*

The list of links you've done already looks good - How about links to other parts of the RS website that QFC won't work for?

E: Oh, is that what the "link" button is for among the text formatting buttons? I don't think I've ever used it haha
Selective Completionist

11-May-2017 13:52:24 - Last edited on 11-May-2017 13:59:00 by Amaethwr

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Amaethwr said :

The list of links you've done already looks good - How about links to other parts of the RS website that QFC won't work for?

Wow I completely overlooked that, just like Jagex blocking much of their own site with the link tag.

Will definitely add runescape, chronicle, jagex, oldschool. Not sure if there is anything else.

Thanks very much for pointing that out :)

Amaethwr said :
*insert Nos' signature image link here*

That made me laugh :)

His pic was the most blocked url by far, I never had it blocked though.

Fun fact: I was the one who who edited his pic and put the pink party hat on his dog for him.
Hmmm, not sure that's a good thing to confess or not.

11-May-2017 14:04:57

Amaethwr
Aug Member 2008

Amaethwr

No worries :P What about stat tracking websites too?

Indecentcode.com !!
Runetracker.org
Runeclan.com
Crystalmathlabs.com

Not sure of others that are commonly used nowadays - Or just leave the list as it is, it's pretty comprehensive, and people could add the one(s) they use

Indecent Act said :
Fun fact: I was the one who who edited his pic and put the pink party hat on his dog for him.
Hmmm, not sure that's a good thing to confess or not.
It looked good!
Selective Completionist

11-May-2017 14:22:37

Lil Indecent

Lil Indecent

Good suggestion with those sites, will add them except for mine.

Since my privacy policy and disclaimer is hosted on my site (I have to host it as I agreed to google's terms and conditions). I can't actually allow those to be blocked, thus the domain can't be blocked. That will be hard coded into RS Linkify.

Also RS Linkify APIs are hosted on my site and I will eventually be putting an instruction manual there too. Simple fact is I have to provide a privacy policy and it must accessible at all times and also accessible without the need to install my extension, so I have to host it.

I'm going to hard code in the runescape.com domain and various rs subdomains and jagex.com as well. No point blocking/allowing the site that you're visiting :)

11-May-2017 14:50:20

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Hevilmystic said :
I'm so thankful for everything Indy does.

As am I to all of you :)

http://zvaigznutulks.lv/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/diff-types-coffee-e1492692100774.jpg

Edit:

So strange the above link is blocked (testing whitelist on this account), really not used to that happening :)

11-May-2017 15:01:57 - Last edited on 19-May-2017 02:28:51 by Indecent Act

Amaethwr
Aug Member 2008

Amaethwr

Maybe something to do with its dodgy looking domain :P

E: Oh, it's Latvian? My apologies

Lil Indecent said :
Since my privacy policy and disclaimer is hosted on my site (I have to host it as I agreed to google's terms and conditions). I can't actually allow those to be blocked, thus the domain can't be blocked. That will be hard coded into RS Linkify.
Hah, alright

*adds services.runescape.com to blacklist*
Selective Completionist

11-May-2017 15:11:02 - Last edited on 11-May-2017 15:15:50 by Amaethwr

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Amaethwr said :
Maybe something to do with its dodgy looking domain :P
Does look a lil dodgy, maybe too dodgy to whitelist :)

Though it makes me wonder is a option needed that allows all images to embed on top of what's allowed in the whitelist.

Then again, rather than undermine what I'm trying to do, maybe I should get into the habit of putting them on a image hosting site or even using the image tag :)

Anyway I've had enough coding for now, might log in for a bit and do a dungeoneering floor or two :)

11-May-2017 15:26:37 - Last edited on 11-May-2017 15:26:59 by Indecent Act

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top