Forums

AFK vs. Active

Quick find code: 259-260-234-66122419

UtaChao

UtaChao

Posts: 1,702 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
CaptKoloth said :
Problem is that Dung became toxic because it was not played right. Players just became toxic. Instead of it being fun, it became a chore for many because people could not learn to team. Being in a good team, who played the skill properly made it fun. It was about working together to achieve unlocking the next floor. It was not a mini game. It was basically an automated D and D. Since many, who play RS, never really played D&D that point was never understood. Sad thing it got nerfed so badly over time. It was really fun in the early years.

I think over the years players in general became toxic, not sure if that's because of streamers or if they just represent a portion of the community. I've certainly been in toxic dung parties, but never a permanent one, just the w77 ones. Perhaps it is because we only looked for individual floors, that we only did the floors we needed for ourselves that the toxicity bred rather than diminished.

I can think of the buying floor nerf, what others were there? Things like collective keys were really helpful for us.
Ironman: Autark

07-Oct-2019 18:04:59

J R Kerr
May Member 2007

J R Kerr

Posts: 7,222 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Oh I have my own toxicity issues. I was a jock, not a nerd. I have harsh scrutiny of nerds in trainers, and I am advised thats classist by certain europeans protecting against barbs toward... the various "united" peoples of chavs, scousers, anoraks, pikeys, casuals, townies, etc. They all look the same to me, but EU folks are like no no thats classist, so I try to appreciate they mean for it to be a virtue signal, and that theyre a minority discriminated against by the vox populi.

I don't particularly like saying "welfare" to mean using minimum gear, but thats become the lingua franca for this game. I don't particularly like saying "fill yer sack, grow a new pair, man up, embrace the suck" etc; but again... less can sound snobby, and I am forced to take certain communication risks to establish a rapport.

The OP prompt on AFK/Active does reveal there has been a paradigm shift within the game though. Not just misc player owned kingdom stuff, but the inv workshop machines... a lot of stuff is getting worked into the game as time locked content, or just enabling bot like stuff that isn't cheating, so I don't think there should be the same stigma for admitting we kinda netflix our way through dull endeavors like divination... and I suppose its the same intended virtue signal to be an oppressed american black kid wearing air jordans who has an obvious weight problem and has never played any sport, but who is trying to signal to racist scrutiny "no Im one of the good ones I like sports" to save his life... some of these various badged players are inclined to lie and say "I never afk" which is not possibly true unless they also dont use the player owned kingdom or invention machines.
I have quit rsof because moderator found comments about darklight bonus damage on demons "off topic" for wildy flash mobs full of demons

07-Oct-2019 20:01:22

CaptKoloth
Feb Member 2008

CaptKoloth

Posts: 10,673 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
UtaChao said :
CaptKoloth said :
Problem is that Dung became toxic because it was not played right. Players just became toxic. Instead of it being fun, it became a chore for many because people could not learn to team. Being in a good team, who played the skill properly made it fun. It was about working together to achieve unlocking the next floor. It was not a mini game. It was basically an automated D and D. Since many, who play RS, never really played D&D that point was never understood. Sad thing it got nerfed so badly over time. It was really fun in the early years.

I think over the years players in general became toxic, not sure if that's because of streamers or if they just represent a portion of the community. I've certainly been in toxic dung parties, but never a permanent one, just the w77 ones. Perhaps it is because we only looked for individual floors, that we only did the floors we needed for ourselves that the toxicity bred rather than diminished.

I can think of the buying floor nerf, what others were there? Things like collective keys were really helpful for us.

I was a clan leader which helped a lot with getting teams. We just set aside to do floors and tried to keep ourselves doing the same floors. We would rush the lower floors and do large on the last few Warped floors, which gave the best experience. Sometimes we would do large lower floors for fun or for members who had not unlocked Warped yet. Btw, we even did floors where people could just skill. Had a few skillers in the clan.

08-Oct-2019 18:12:42

UtaChao

UtaChao

CaptKoloth said :
UtaChao said :
CaptKoloth said :

I was a clan leader which helped a lot with getting teams. We just set aside to do floors and tried to keep ourselves doing the same floors. We would rush the lower floors and do large on the last few Warped floors, which gave the best experience. Sometimes we would do large lower floors for fun or for members who had not unlocked Warped yet. Btw, we even did floors where people could just skill. Had a few skillers in the clan.

That sounds like a nice clan to be part of.

14-Oct-2019 22:37:40

Mightiest

Mightiest

Posts: 2,670 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hello,
I'm just going to summarize my playstyle here. I as well did just recently re-subscribe to the game as you can see by my membership badge, so my hype for the game is at a pretty good high at this moment and I have a lot of goals I'm working towards and a lot that I'm looking forward to, but I'm going keep this short and simple.

I believe you must actively pay attention to how much you truly want to be 'AFKing' the game. For example if you have a goal that is long and takes a while to accomplish but it is AFKable to an extent then that is fine, do your AFKing -but keep in mind you should try to actively try to keep yourself engaged and immersed into the game as much as you possibly can - whether it be engaging with other people you come in contact with, FCs that your friends hang out in, CCs that you also have friends in or acquaintances that you either rival stat-wise or talk to on a daily bases... Or the Forums. I do count the Forums as part of the game since there's a bunch of activity and ideas getting across here all the time. It keeps me entertained at points so I count it as a branch off the game and if you're on here rather than being so `active' in the game - I'll let that slide and count it as being active.

Keeping it short here lol, the best way to put this I believe is the more you sort of distance yourself from the game while you're trying to play it the more your brain passively get detached from your goals & the reason you play the game diminishes (could be diff for everyone). So all in all, if you AFK it is fine but try to keep your attention where it should be by actually engaging whenever you have the chance. And don't forget if you actually play actively you should usually gain more exp than the person playing passively. So do it for the gains, remember that. ^.^

I'm going to end it there, that's my two cents. Nice post, this is something I do like to talk about. :)

15-Oct-2019 01:51:20

UtaChao

UtaChao

@Mightiest

Thank you for your contribution :)

I completely agree, even with AFK goals, it is very important to intersperse non-afk activity in order to remain motivated. I recently made the portants for 80-90 smithing on my ironman and I've barely played since. It's such a long afk task and I really don't have the energy for such a playstyle right now. I think I need to alternate invents with other goals such as quests.

Nice to see you back in the game, what made you decide to come back?

21-Oct-2019 13:35:45

Vaseth
Dec Member 2023

Vaseth

Posts: 11,958 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Tuffty said :
If I need to go anywhere I log out or lobby.

If I play I'm 100% infront of my screen. Unless I'm on the forums looking at something. :P

I see no point in afk'ing as I feel I'm not playing the game as it was meant to be played.

If anyone feels the need to afk it's their/your choice.

so you actually believe jagex INTENDED you to sit and state at the screen while u fish (and obviously i dont mean swarm fishing here)

tbh, i afk afkable things because i feel that is the way the game was intended to be played.

if you wernt meant to afk it, it wouldnt be afkable.

even for combat, do u think they brought out agro pots and scrims so that you can use them with auto retaliate off and full manual?

if so you, well, the only polite way to put it is: your mad

when i want to read, ill do a full afk activity, like fishing/wc/mining (with spirits/juju pot), agro pot slayer tasks, gwd1 camping

when i want to watch netflix, ill do semi afk activities, like siphoning energy from wisps for charges, non agro potable slayer tasks, mining something i dont have stone spirits for

and when i feel like actually playing, ill do a full intensity activity, like soloing nex/rax/raids/bgh/achievements of some kind

as the game was designed to be played

23-Oct-2019 05:14:14

H Rassy
Sep Member 2023

H Rassy

Posts: 17,469 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
For some reason i can not play afk,i never ever could. When i play (very rarely these days) i am on the screen.
Looking back i can see that i didnt manage to adept to all the chances all that well.

Dungeoneering was an effort for me,contrary to rc-ing nats through abbys for 500+ hours. I did like it in the end but all the chances after that (mostly the combat update,the focus on boss hunting only and then all the mtx) i could not adept to all that well which resulted in me playing less and less.

The game itself also has evolved as a whole. Well not only the game itself which is obvious but more importantly for me the eco system of the game has changed. The average player now is a very different person from the average player 10+ years ago. It feels there is less variety amongst players and it was the variety that did atrackt me to runescape (amongst others(.

23-Oct-2019 10:49:52 - Last edited on 23-Oct-2019 10:50:59 by H Rassy

CaptKoloth
Feb Member 2008

CaptKoloth

Posts: 10,673 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
To think about it, the early game actually had the attack randoms to also prevent afk play, as well as prevent botting. Guess they got rid of them for the people who just wanted to afk. Actually afk means "away from keyboard". Which means you are not attending to your system. Does not mean multi-tasking and doing other activities at your area.

23-Oct-2019 12:39:13

Chee
Jul Member 2016

Chee

Posts: 1,946 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
CaptKoloth said :
Actually afk means "away from keyboard". Which means you are not attending to your system. Does not mean multi-tasking and doing other activities at your area.
as a strict definition sure, but it's used colloquially as 'busy/multi-tasking'
@Chee__RS
Maxed
Ironwoman
Completionist
Q
ue
st Mas
te
r

Max: 28 Jan 2018 | MQC: 9 Aug 2019 | Comp: 18 Oct 2019

24-Oct-2019 01:32:18