Forums

AFK vs. Active

Quick find code: 259-260-234-66122419

UtaChao

UtaChao

Posts: 1,702 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Loki said :
I play mostly AFK now due to the game pretty much just being a repeated grindfest of the same thing over and over. I'm not going to focus looking at the screen 100% of the time to watch my character do the same thing and get some XP. If I'm doing PvM, I'll 100% watch the screen and focus, but apart from that, I'd rather have a movie or TV show at the side of my screen and focus on that, while clicking every so often. I keep my PM open always, and none of my friends or anyone even message me anymore, so another reason to not bother focusing on the screen. I think the last message I got in PM was from a random OSRS player threatening me if I didn't give them my RsN lol.

If people started messaging me or talking to do an in-game activity, then it would give me more of a reason to actually look at the screen and focus.

It's funny, because I've been playing on another account. Not post max and actually having to concentrate has produced a whole load of bank standing while I watch the tv show. Quests, achievement diaries and certain skills take so much concentration compared to the 5minute click of the new mining methods I was doing before. It's been quite refreshing.

CaptKoloth said :
One of the reasons the game became less social was because skilling became afk. Fishing, which always was pretty afk, except for barb fishing, was actually once a pretty social skill. People would chat while they fished. Catherby was bustling with activity years back. Some kind of toxic, but for the most part it was active. Also the bank was active with fish transactions as well. Pre GE.

Yeah I remember this. From what I recall, this is also the case in 07? Somewhere along the line I grew up and became anti-social in game. Chat's off, no clan, no public, no private. Like if my only in game friend (for the last 10 years now) pops on I'll talk to him, but that's about it. I was always talking with
Ironman: Autark

28-Sep-2019 14:23:34 - Last edited on 28-Sep-2019 14:26:49 by UtaChao

UtaChao

UtaChao

Tuffty said :
If I need to go anywhere I log out or lobby.

If I play I'm 100% infront of my screen. Unless I'm on the forums looking at something. :P

I see no point in afk'ing as I feel I'm not playing the game as it was meant to be played.

If anyone feels the need to afk it's their/your choice.

So what do you do to keep active? Many skills require practically no concentration. WC, Mine, Fish, etc. Xp grinding (I've not snooped your xp) tends to require large portions of AFK in game time. Do you avoid these activities, or do you just enjoy watching paint dry? (not intended to be toxic)

28-Sep-2019 14:29:29

Salve eel
May Member 2019

Salve eel

Posts: 5,007 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
UtaChao said :
I can see that you've recently resubscribed, were you simply on another acc or did you quit entirely. What made you come back?

Well I would say that real life played a major factor as I was focused on preparing for my study abroad to Japan. I needed good grades, to make money, learn japanese, and prepare documents to be able to travel so I was simply too busy. Also at that time I had completed all the goals I had in game so I would login and have nothing much I felt like doing. Then a few months after I got to Japan I had alot of down time and decided to renew my membership and go for 120 all skills. This is a long term goal and after I finish it I will probably take a break and then establish new goals later.

28-Sep-2019 18:09:51

UtaChao

UtaChao

Salve eel said :
UtaChao said :
I can see that you've recently resubscribed, were you simply on another acc or did you quit entirely. What made you come back?

Well I would say that real life played a major factor as I was focused on preparing for my study abroad to Japan. I needed good grades, to make money, learn japanese, and prepare documents to be able to travel so I was simply too busy. Also at that time I had completed all the goals I had in game so I would login and have nothing much I felt like doing. Then a few months after I got to Japan I had alot of down time and decided to renew my membership and go for 120 all skills. This is a long term goal and after I finish it I will probably take a break and then establish new goals later.

Again without stalking your profile, I'd imagine 120 all will take at least a few months of grind, so I guess you'll have some time left on this. Maybe you'll find the spark that'll keep you going.

I get what you mean though with irl stuff. Life always takes precedence over rs and I've had my fair share of game killing irl events. New skill too, maybe they'll make less of a hash of it this time.

28-Sep-2019 18:29:00

J R Kerr
May Member 2007

J R Kerr

Posts: 7,222 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
every p mod ever: "I didn't see no atrocities"

subforum teamwork becomes power level sales.
item discussion becomes price fixing cabal.

I cant wait til they dump rsof and p mods. been a fucking diaper full of rancid shit rubbed in the face of players with actual scruples offended by their bald faced lies. you can tell when they lie too because words appear after their name or their lips move.

so being actually honest... divination has never been fucking playable. you fire up netflix and get turned into a sound controlled chicken pecking when the buzzer dings every few seconds. there is a lot of shit in this game that wasnt even meant to be playable.
I have quit rsof because moderator found comments about darklight bonus damage on demons "off topic" for wildy flash mobs full of demons

28-Sep-2019 23:13:24

Ladyolake
Jan Member 2008

Ladyolake

Posts: 7,094 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
If im logged in .. I am actively playing and looking at Runescape.

Every so often (maybe 1 time a day) i will put on a diff kind of music
or story to listen to as i play RS.

I do occasionaly let my alt afk.. but Ladyolake is always watching
things around her so she isnt killed by some monster.
The richest person is not who has the most. It is who Needs the least.

30-Sep-2019 15:10:14

SSS Doom SSS

SSS Doom SSS

Posts: 513 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I like both play styles :) They both got pros and cons. Sometimes I want to do something else while still gaining xp so I go to uncharted isles while flipping/reading the wiki/cooking dinner.

Or when I need a break from a click intensive skill like fletching.

Other times im 100% involved in the game.

30-Sep-2019 16:11:21

Chee
Jul Member 2016

Chee

Posts: 1,946 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
SSS Doom SSS said :
I like both play styles :) They both got pros and cons. Sometimes I want to do something else while still gaining xp so I go to uncharted isles while flipping/reading the wiki/cooking dinner.

Or when I need a break from a click intensive skill like fletching.

Other times im 100% involved in the game.

I literally would die from boredom if I had to get the Salty title while 100% focused, it being 100% afk for 4-5 minutes is a saving grace for that content.
@Chee__RS
Maxed
Ironwoman
Completionist
Q
ue
st Mas
te
r

Max: 28 Jan 2018 | MQC: 9 Aug 2019 | Comp: 18 Oct 2019

01-Oct-2019 00:23:26

Tenebri
Jan Member 2015

Tenebri

Posts: 39,133 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Tuffty said :
I see no point in afk'ing as I feel I'm not playing the game as it was meant to be played.

this sums it up for me also

only time i afk is in morning when im getting ready for work and i force an abyssal demon task, but 90% of that im still watching or interacting. but thats as afk i go now.

before when i was doing 5.4b if a skill was afk and was best xp for that such as when i did waterfall for 200m fishing as was best at time. then yes id afk. however when i did do 200m fishing i made another account and i maxed it. so i was still interacting.
200m all RS3 on 7/3/19
1.2Billion overall Slayer xp / Ultimate slayer title

OSRS 2277/2277 Untrim slayer cape
Hail Satan, He loves for who you are.

01-Oct-2019 08:07:28 - Last edited on 01-Oct-2019 08:09:40 by Tenebri

Quick find code: 259-260-234-66122419 Back to Top