Forums

AFK vs. Active

Quick find code: 259-260-234-66122419

UtaChao

UtaChao

Posts: 1,702 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
In short, do you actively play the game, or do you predominantly play AFK?

In light of recent discussion on the state of HLF, I thought I'd create a thread which was not negative, does not discuss the sate of the HLF and aims to adhere to the "RS Discussion" portion of the "RS Discussion" section of the HLF.

I have mixed feelings about the current state of the game, for some part I am nervous of spending time building a profile only for some future update or game mechanic to render my effort wasted. Having said that, I've been playing this game for a very long time and have adapted to many different play styles over the years. Some active, some not.

For a long time I was an AFK skiller, I got my early 99s clicking and switching tab to some yt vid or something else and I'd only pay attention to inv space and the 5min marker. I realise now that most methods required a lot more attention than today's high level afk methods.

Another period of my playing was when I was around halfway through the max pile, I actually started enjoying the game and I began to play with my irl friend, doing all nighters and stuff. Probably the most fun times of my RS life.

I went to uni and then I stopped playing for a while, coming back with DarkScape and then with Ironman later on, but I could never get into the game like I used to. I'm now back on this acc. I AFK'd 200m fish, I'm AFKing 200m inv via mine (just passed 50m xp) but I only really click and pay attention every now and again.

My biggest issue, is am I still playing the game?

My real questions are, what are your play styles, have they changed and do you still enjoy the game?
Ironman: Autark

25-Sep-2019 11:12:47

Tuffty
Jan
fmod Member

Tuffty

Forum Moderator Posts: 152,160 Ruby Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
If I need to go anywhere I log out or lobby.

If I play I'm 100% infront of my screen. Unless I'm on the forums looking at something. :P

I see no point in afk'ing as I feel I'm not playing the game as it was meant to be played.

If anyone feels the need to afk it's their/your choice.
Comprehensive Account Security
What do snowmen have for breakfast? Snowflakes! :P

25-Sep-2019 12:16:25

CaptKoloth
Feb Member 2008

CaptKoloth

Posts: 10,673 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
One of the reasons the game became less social was because skilling became afk. Fishing, which always was pretty afk, except for barb fishing, was actually once a pretty social skill. People would chat while they fished. Catherby was bustling with activity years back. Some kind of toxic, but for the most part it was active. Also the bank was active with fish transactions as well. Pre GE.

25-Sep-2019 17:23:24 - Last edited on 25-Sep-2019 17:24:46 by CaptKoloth

Loki
Sep Member 2011

Loki

Posts: 65,226 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I play mostly AFK now due to the game pretty much just being a repeated grindfest of the same thing over and over. I'm not going to focus looking at the screen 100% of the time to watch my character do the same thing and get some XP. If I'm doing PvM, I'll 100% watch the screen and focus, but apart from that, I'd rather have a movie or TV show at the side of my screen and focus on that, while clicking every so often. I keep my PM open always, and none of my friends or anyone even message me anymore, so another reason to not bother focusing on the screen. I think the last message I got in PM was from a random OSRS player threatening me if I didn't give them my RsN lol.

If people started messaging me or talking to do an in-game activity, then it would give me more of a reason to actually look at the screen and focus.
• »‡« •
Adam
• »‡« •

Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts.

25-Sep-2019 18:07:42

Singularity
Aug Member 2023

Singularity

Posts: 97,453 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
If I log in, I'll actively play. This is a rarity nowadays.

If I don't feel like playing, I won't log in. I used to AFK when I didn't want to pay attention to the game because I had goals that allowed me to AFK. Now that I don't have any goals, I don't need to log in and AFK if I don't feel like playing.

It's weird. I always thought I'd stay playing the game no matter what. These past few months though..I've lost almost all interest. It happened randomly and unexpectedly. Not sure if my interest will ever come back. It doesn't seem like it right now. :|

25-Sep-2019 20:44:33

Chee
Jul Member 2016

Chee

Posts: 1,946 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I've done all of my afkable skills, just solo Dungeoneering (not at all afk) and Slayer (semi-afk at some times) left for comp. Then I can finally quit this disastrous fucking collection of garbage game and go play the better version. @Chee__RS
Maxed
Ironwoman
Completionist
Q
ue
st Mas
te
r

Max: 28 Jan 2018 | MQC: 9 Aug 2019 | Comp: 18 Oct 2019

26-Sep-2019 11:08:14 - Last edited on 26-Sep-2019 11:09:33 by Chee

Salve eel
May Member 2019

Salve eel

Posts: 5,007 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
As a Trim comped player with over 5k castle wars games AFKed I can say I played both afk and actively throughout the years mostly afking through my Uni years. If I were to pay attention to rs constantly I would probably be failing Uni lmao. I think its safe to say that Afking rs is definitely still playing the game as alot of content have been specifically designed to be afk.

27-Sep-2019 04:11:10

Chee
Jul Member 2016

Chee

Posts: 1,946 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Salve eel said :
Afking rs is definitely still playing the game

yeah IDK why some people have this arrogant belief that suddenly you're not playing RS if you're doing something else at the same time. I can enjoy a movie and woodcut just fine. I guess some of us just have better multi-tasking skills.
@Chee__RS
Maxed
Ironwoman
Completionist
Q
ue
st Mas
te
r

Max: 28 Jan 2018 | MQC: 9 Aug 2019 | Comp: 18 Oct 2019

27-Sep-2019 19:43:32

UtaChao

UtaChao

Chee said :
Salve eel said :
Afking rs is definitely still playing the game

yeah IDK why some people have this arrogant belief that suddenly you're not playing RS if you're doing something else at the same time. I can enjoy a movie and woodcut just fine. I guess some of us just have better multi-tasking skills.

I personally wouldn't be arrogant and state someone wasn't playing the game just because they're afkingit. However, having said that, recently I've stopped feeling like I'm actually playing the game. Like, there are massive parts of this game which provide achievement satisfaction and my months of afk simply does not do that for me anymore. I got 200m fish and the next day I quit. I came back and I've nearly got 200m inv, and guess what? I've quit again.

Not properly this time though, I jumped back onto the Iron (the MTX scandal was a massive help), but I still feel that I've wasted a whole lot of life with such little achievement.

Chee said :
I've done all of my afkable skills, just solo Dungeoneering (not at all afk) and Slayer (semi-afk at some times) left for comp. Then I can finally quit this disastrous fucking collection of garbage game and go play the better version.

Here was me thinking playing IM was the better version. I get 07 is appealing for a whole lot of people, but I can never get into it. It's like an upside down version of the main game with terrible graphics (just my opinion). Had they done a 2010 or 2012 version (preeoc), I'd be right into it. Also, had I played from the beginning I might have been more in favour. The additions make it a harder jump than had I been there from the start, which I kinda was because I voted and was there on login day but didn't continue. Ironically, it was the lack of ge that made me quit in the first place.

28-Sep-2019 14:12:47 - Last edited on 28-Sep-2019 14:17:26 by UtaChao

UtaChao

UtaChao

Salve eel said :
As a Trim comped player with over 5k castle wars games AFKed I can say I played both afk and actively throughout the years mostly afking through my Uni years. If I were to pay attention to rs constantly I would probably be failing Uni lmao. I think its safe to say that Afking rs is definitely still playing the game as alot of content have been specifically designed to be afk.

I can see that you've recently resubscribed, were you simply on another acc or did you quit entirely. What made you come back?

Singularity said :
If I log in, I'll actively play. This is a rarity nowadays.

If I don't feel like playing, I won't log in. I used to AFK when I didn't want to pay attention to the game because I had goals that allowed me to AFK. Now that I don't have any goals, I don't need to log in and AFK if I don't feel like playing.

It's weird. I always thought I'd stay playing the game no matter what. These past few months though..I've lost almost all interest. It happened randomly and unexpectedly. Not sure if my interest will ever come back. It doesn't seem like it right now. :|

I know exactly what you mean. I used to consider rs the wife that sticks through thick and thin, while other games as the lust or occasional transgressions which just won't surive. Crude I know, but I was young. I've actually found that afk has made me stop wanting to play, see other post for a greater elaboration on that.

28-Sep-2019 14:18:51 - Last edited on 28-Sep-2019 14:21:27 by UtaChao

Quick find code: 259-260-234-66122419 Back to Top