Forums

Canon Catastrophe Thread is locked

Quick find code: 237-238-437-66105750

HC Tervuren

HC Tervuren

Posts: 182 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Casindra Rin said :
What isn't cool, and what I cannot abide, is seeing someone specifically and publicy use someone else's character in a way that the owner of said character is very visibly not alright with.

Word. This is one of my least favorite things about this situation, the usage of a character for personal gain in the alternate canon they've made. Not only did they kill the character, but they are asking other people to play the ghost of the dead character after the character owner declined to even acknowledge the separate canon.

Powerplaying a character, killing them and making other people play the dead character is beyond breaking rules here. It's just a show of no core values.
Kristian
|
Kandarin
|
Vekon
|
Tervurens
|
I love canines!

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

15-Jun-2019 15:35:10

Casindra Rin

Casindra Rin

Posts: 25 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Indeed. It doesn't instill a sense of camaraderie, nor does it inspire me to take part in their roleplay seeing as I've seen that they're willing to blatantly rip someone's OC without the owner's permission. Which is a shame, y'know? Everyone involved seem like very talented and creative people who I'd love to share stories with.

Essentially, there's no official rule that's broken, but roleplay is a community thing and respect for your fellow player is of utmost importance.

Granted, I can understand the side of wanting to roleplay something but someone else in your group already has dibs on the position. Do you leave that group, split off and go make your own? I would answer yes, if you can't reach an accord. Which is why I think the idea of "banning" (if you even could) alternate/split storylines is not only futile, but unfair.
CASINDRA RIN
Perhaps all we can do is hope to have the right regrets.

Roleplayer | Mage | Incorrigible collector of boots and crossbows

15-Jun-2019 15:45:18 - Last edited on 15-Jun-2019 16:13:27 by Casindra Rin

SpeedoJor
Nov Member 2012

SpeedoJor

Posts: 741 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Casindra Rin said :
As a new member of RuneScape who is 100% unacquainted with everyone in every corner, I've been quietly watching this ordeal from the sidelines. I'm no stranger to roleplay in MMO settings, and I know the issues that arise from trying to make a cohesive and (at least) cordial storyline that everyone can enjoy and take part in. That being said, I thought I'd extend my opinions and views on what I've seen, as an outsider.

Firstly, I'll be pedantic and bother with semantics. People who write stickies shouldn't be considered leaders. Leadership should belong to Jagex and Jagex alone, at least where these forums and The Community at large are concerned.

Now, for sake of conversation, I agree that it's bad form for someone who wrote a guide on proper roleplay etiquette to break a very basic roleplay rule.

Which leads me into my next point, and for the sake of not naming names, I'll try to keep this vague while expressing my thoughts.

Powerplay in any capacity is a no-no. Alternate timelines, alternate storylines, etc. are well within everyone's rights to enjoy this game world. What isn't cool, and what I cannot abide, is seeing someone specifically and publicy use someone else's character in a way that the owner of said character is very visibly not alright with. Private setting roleplay is whatever, we can't thought-police, but posting public threads on official forums stating that your roleplay is based on someone else's characters in a storyline that did not happen, is not alright.

Say Tim wants a house that Mary currently occupies in her roleplay, but Mary doesn't want to give up her house. Short of roleplaying with Mary in her house, the proper thing to do is create an alternate storyline and share the space. The improper thing to do is for Tim to post how Mary was evicted and now Tim has bought the house.

Also, Blacklisting is probably the worst thing you can do.

Axis of evil should take note of this..
it doesn't matter whether a cat is black or white, as long as it catches mice.

15-Jun-2019 15:48:05

Ranpuff

Ranpuff

Posts: 1,528 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
As someone who quit this game and its RP scene back in 2012(I'm only a member now because, woo, free month!) I'll offer what I can while not being really... involved in any way, apart from my experiences from years in the past.

I at least want to try and address the opinion that the forum mods are power-crazy people.

Forum mods are people who Jagex foisted responsibility on who are doing their best with a power they shouldn't have. As a result there's no real professional standard to which they act or react to forums, so I can't really blame them for messing up from time to time.

That said , no matter how others attempt to justify it, arguing on the public forums is immature to the extreme and has been a thing since before even I started RP'ing on here.

There is a prevailing sense of ownership and entitlement on this forum in particular. There always has been. In my time people would flame and argue with eachother, and when a player mod steps in to shut down the vitriolic discourse those same people would flood this forum with inane threads purely to "righteously troll" the "evil" mod(s).

All it ever did was underline the spite these people had, which only ever showed newcomers the mess they were getting into(and chase more than a few of them away, I'm sure).

My point is to stress that issues between groups should be handled in more private channels. There should be an understanding that this official forum should only exist as a medium by which RP'ers, old and new, can visit and find roleplay and roleplay groups to join.

Invite civil discussion about issues, absolutely , but there are better places to handle it. Forum mods by and large are just trying to put out fires made by this years-old concept that the roleplayers in this game have ownership of this forum and can do what they like in it. As Casindra above me said, Jagex are the owners, and the Fmods are trying to respect that.

15-Jun-2019 15:51:18 - Last edited on 15-Jun-2019 15:54:21 by Ranpuff

HC Tervuren

HC Tervuren

Ranpuff said :

Invite civil discussion about issues, absolutely , but there are better places to handle it.

What is your suggestion then? As stated by the CoC, this is the medium to discuss it:

The same is quoted by Community Manager Brandon.

CM Brandon said :

The last 2 pages of the discussion is better suited for a thread of it's own, or by PM/Discord, rather than on someone's thread like this.

Nothing is immature about this thread. This thread is, by design, created to civilly discuss the issue at hand: split canons, as they are destroying the RP community on the game. Not only is it here to discuss the issue, but to document and record it as reference material in a place where it can't simply be deleted by anyone other than myself or a forum mod.

I also don't see the forum mods as power-crazy. Specifically, I stated that they are used as a figurative Gestapo to silence negative feedback. Which is true - you will find individuals argue to their last word and add the brick wall "stop immediately or be reported" blanket statement at the end so that no further negative feedback can be provided.

Regardless of everything, this is the correct medium to address this issue.
Kristian
|
Kandarin
|
Vekon
|
Tervurens
|
I love canines!

15-Jun-2019 15:57:25 - Last edited on 15-Jun-2019 16:02:59 by HC Tervuren

SpeedoJor
Nov Member 2012

SpeedoJor

Posts: 741 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
HC Tervuren said :
Ranpuff said :

Invite civil discussion about issues, absolutely , but there are better places to handle it.

What is your suggestion then? As stated by the CoC, this is the medium to discuss it:

The same is quoted by Community Manager Brandon.

CM Brandon said :

The last 2 pages of the discussion is better suited for a thread of it's own, or by PM/Discord, rather than on someone's thread like this.

Nothing is immature about this thread. This thread is, by design, created to civilly discuss the issue at hand: split canons, as they are destroying the RP community on the game. Not only is it here to discuss the issue, but to document and record it as reference material in a place where it can't simply be deleted by anyone other than myself or a forum mod.

I also don't see the forum mods as power-crazy. Specifically, I stated that they are used as a figurative Gestapo to silence negative feedback. Which is true - you will find individuals argue to their last word and add the brick wall "stop immediately or be reported" blanket statement at the end so that no further negative feedback can be provided.

Regardless of everything, this is the correct medium to address this issue.

but the forum mods do sleep around with certain cretins and people who have a special place in hell.
it doesn't matter whether a cat is black or white, as long as it catches mice.

15-Jun-2019 16:07:26

Ranpuff

Ranpuff

Posts: 1,528 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
You're correct, HC Tervuren! CM Brandon did suggest this have a thread of its own, which you've done, so I certainly can't argue against that. This thread is acting off their suggestion, so with this thread in particular there's no real issue. I also fully support you firmly addressing the requirement that it's kept civil!

He did, however, also suggest PM's or Discord... Which I believe the issue itself should've been contained to from the start. While a split canon is definitely disruptive to public RP - at least, that part of it that interacts with it - it also boils down to a disagreement between two specific groups of people and shouldn't have exploded like it has in a forum meant for the entire community.

I understand this community is very, very small, but it doesn't encourage growth to have people butting heads in a space meant for sharing ideas and growing together.

While it's not against the rules to create threads to offer an opposing standpoint to another thread, you can also see on that page that it is against the rules to target specific players with accusations as well as making offensive posts in general... Which in the month I've been enjoying membership again I've seen a lot of in this forum. From every side.

Again, this thread in particular is no issue and is abiding by the rules. My statements are more to cover this forum as a whole! Making a thread that stresses civil discussion in an attempt to improve the environment of this forum is a positive step forward.

15-Jun-2019 16:10:12 - Last edited on 15-Jun-2019 16:13:20 by Ranpuff

HC Tervuren

HC Tervuren

Ranpuff said :
He did, however, also suggest PM's or Discord... Which I believe the issue itself should've been contained to from the start.

This was attempted, and unfortunately had no success. The problem is that Discord is not regulated by an adamant CoC. Forum mods do act as mediators and keep things clean, and therefore of the three options to use Discord, DMs or the forums, this is most likely to succeed for that reason.

Either way, thanks for your input.
Kristian
|
Kandarin
|
Vekon
|
Tervurens
|
I love canines!

15-Jun-2019 16:21:24 - Last edited on 15-Jun-2019 16:21:35 by HC Tervuren

Casindra Rin

Casindra Rin

Posts: 25 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I wanted to add as well, regarding the current situation whose (unwilling) participants shall remain unnamed - if it were me, I'd request that my character's name be taken out of their story in toto . You can't police what anyone says in private, or what they roleplay in private, but I think it's reasonable to ask that any overthrown liege lords in their storyline be given an original identity, or remain completely unnamed on an official basis.

Just a suggestion.
CASINDRA RIN
Perhaps all we can do is hope to have the right regrets.

Roleplayer | Mage | Incorrigible collector of boots and crossbows

15-Jun-2019 16:44:29

Quick find code: 237-238-437-66105750 Back to Top