Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

Brigantia

Brigantia

Posts: 17,674 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Yooo, I still send physical cards too. Mostly Christmas. I haven't quite mastered birthday cards yet.
Arrr! Only th' Devil an' I know th' where'bouts o' me treasure, an' th' one o' us who lives th' longes' should take i' all.

@CapnBrigantia

19-Feb-2021 11:36:10

Megycal
Sep Member 2005

Megycal

Posts: 18,105 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I make all the cards we send. I have a large amount of papercraft supplies and various tools. My favourites are the metal dies to cut out shapes, some are very intricate. If I never bought any more supplies, apart from basics such as adhesives, ink pads and blank cards, I'd have enough to keep me going for years.

19-Feb-2021 12:56:12

NexOrigin

NexOrigin

Posts: 2,592 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Around here, various charities send out blank Christmas cards, gift labels, envelopes, etc, in the mail, in hopes that you'll make a donation.

They used to tell you if you're not making a donation, to send the stuff back. But, I guess they've learned over the years that no one is actually going to send the stuff back, so now they just tell you that they're gifting you all these items, and hope that you'll make a donation.

But when I don't have free cards to use, I just take piece of wrapping paper and make a small card from it.

I don't really buy cards from the store. They're stupid expensive. Like, $15 for a card? No thanks, I'll just make my own and spend the $15 on the gift instead.
I'm better than you, but that doesn't mean you're not great! :)

19-Feb-2021 14:05:47

Brigantia

Brigantia

NexOrigin said :

I don't really buy cards from the store. They're stupid expensive. Like, $15 for a card? No thanks, I'll just make my own and spend the $15 on the gift instead.

Honestly, that's why I buy a box of like 50 cards for like £5. There's usually a variety in there and it's cheaper than buying individual cards when you've got a list of like 12+ people to send them to. And they come with envelopes.
Arrr! Only th' Devil an' I know th' where'bouts o' me treasure, an' th' one o' us who lives th' longes' should take i' all.

@CapnBrigantia

19-Feb-2021 16:23:20 - Last edited on 19-Feb-2021 16:25:27 by Brigantia

NexOrigin

NexOrigin

Posts: 2,592 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Brigantia said :
NexOrigin said :

Honestly, that's why I buy a box of like 50 cards for like £5. There's usually a variety in there and it's cheaper than buying individual cards when you've got a list of like 12+ people to send them to. And they come with envelopes.
Yeah, that works Christmas. Doesn't work for Birthdays though.

Hmm. Marketing idea....

Sell boxes of Birthday cards for a person's life, starting from birth all the way to like, 100...

Happy 1st birthday!
Happy 2nd birthday!
Happy 99th birthday!
Happy 100th birthday!

There you go, million dollar idea.

Send me a gift basket or something from your new mansion if you use this idea, please.
I'm better than you, but that doesn't mean you're not great! :)

19-Feb-2021 16:29:52

Brigantia

Brigantia

LOL Yeah that's true.

Bummer there aren't more box sets for other events. A selection for birthdays would be great.

@CapnBrigantia

19-Feb-2021 17:14:20

Megycal
Sep Member 2005

Megycal

Posts: 18,105 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
A selection box of cards for various occasions is a nice idea. I have a vague memory of getting one once many years ago. It had birthday cards and some for new home, new baby etc. Only problem with it was I was stuck with cards I didn't like and some I had no use for. I gave them to a charity shop, problem solved. :)
We send/give over 100 Christmas cards every year. That number is made up of extended family and friends. Each card I make is different and I'm sure the materials would mean they cost more than the mixed multi packs that are available but I enjoy making them. I had intended to take some of my surplus to give to a charity shop before Christmas but the lockdown stopped that. They'll keep until next Christmas and I'll have even more to donate.

19-Feb-2021 20:19:42

Jenesiis
Jan Member 2018

Jenesiis

Posts: 1,200 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Home made cards are so lovely. A friend of mine, and my daughter in law make them and they are quite beautiful.

It means so much more too that someone has gone to the trouble and effort of making it for you.

20-Feb-2021 09:40:44

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
One of my neighbours makes her own cards. They're not very good but she is nearly 90 so maybe she's got shaky hands or somesuch. It's the thought that counts.

I love buying cards for people. Throughout the year I browse for them everywhere I go; craft fairs, museums, garden centres, stately homes .... all over the place. I try to match the card with something the person is interested in or likes so it's more personal to them, they might know I had a "I saw this and thought of you" moment.

The last 12 months have been annoying, everything closed down. Although I did pick up some beautiful hand-made cards in a charity shop, made with tiny dried flowers and embroidered.

I loathe e-cards. If I get one of those e-mailed to me it makes me cross - the ultimate in lazy especially at Christmas when someone's sent the exact same 'greeting' to everyone they know.
Grrrr.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

20-Feb-2021 10:28:36

Stoat King

Stoat King

Posts: 5,075 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I used to make all my cards.
Best card I ever made was photoshopping a pole dancer onto the middle of the table in "The Last Supper".
Wasn't as easy as it sounds. Slapping the pole dancer on was easy enough, but getting all the people sat at the table to stare at her ass was painstaking, pixel by pixel work.
Still, looked great!
Edit: Missed out a word

20-Feb-2021 10:35:58 - Last edited on 20-Feb-2021 12:07:29 by Stoat King

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top