Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ah, yes, Averia but you are wearing you. You're not on a daily basis attempting to either enhance nor decrease your physical look to advertise or imply your ancestry.

It seems the beef here is that some people (mainly women it would seem and most of them performers or 'Influencers') who are very definitely not Black/of colour are manipulating the way they look to strongly suggest their ethnicity is other than what it really is. Beyond the bounds of fashion.

At least that's the vibe I'm getting from the actually Black/of colour commentators on the phenomena. There's quite a lot of them out there talking about it, the more I delve the more I'm finding.

Some folk were really pissed off when Rita Ora wore a bikini in what appeared to be a simulation of the Jamaican flag - she's actually Kosovan.

On it's own I wouldn't care (personally) since if I visited, say, Canada I might wear a T-shirt with the maple leaf on it cuz I like it. But it upset some, it seems, coupled with her other (what they perceive to be) subtle or not so subtle mimicry of other cultures.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

10-Feb-2021 13:46:23

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Averia Light said :
Honestly, I don't buy into a lot of the appropriation arguments unless someone specifically does something to mock another culture. ..snip

Yes, I agree.

A lot of it is simply following fashion and intended in a non-offensive manner.

For instance Adele - who is most definitely "White" and to the best of my knowledge has never pretended otherwise - came under criticism for intending to go to the UK Notting Hill Carnival sporting an image of the Jamaican flag and with her hair in Bantu knots.

I'd have viewed that as an homage to the purpose and roots of the Carnival - not as taking the piss out of anyone or cultural appropriation. It was a one-off. Interestingly, other Black/of colour people were quick to defend her:

https://news.sky.com/story/stars-defend-adele-against-cultural-appropriation-claims-after-star-shares-photo-in-bantu-knots-12060334

On the other hand I can kind of see why people who are Black/of colour get cross when their ancestry is being mimicked on a serial basis, usually for monetary gain by the perp.
Le Chat Guerrier

10-Feb-2021 13:57:50

Averia Light

Averia Light

Posts: 28,508 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
It is all weird to me, tbh. I think it is up to the individual's preference. For me, I see such innocent actions as a "first step" into the culture of others which is a positive thing. I'd actually love it if we could just normalize everything where it is ok to be different to the point where being different is just expected/normal if that makes sense.

But, again, that is just me.
And I swear I'm not going to let her know all the pain I have known

10-Feb-2021 14:15:43 - Last edited on 10-Feb-2021 14:16:31 by Averia Light

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

I'd like that too.

I worked with a Sikh girl years ago who invited me to her wedding. It's quite a build-up what with the females celebrating together beforehand, hand painting and such. Her relatives were charming and wanted me to wear traditional Sikh garb to the main event (not mandatory, they just thought it'd be fun).

So they put together an outfit for me. The Sikhs were all delightful and complimented me and seemed genuinely pleased that I liked their traditional clothing so much that I chose to wear it, taking it as both a compliment to their culture and a sign of respect.

Some of the "Aunties" (there are many of them) whom I had not met tut-tutted whilst making minor adjustments to the way I was wearing it then seemed pleased that everything was 'correct'. They were only perturbed that those responsible for dressing me had got a random pleat or fold in the wrong place.

A few other white people at the event stared rudely with disapproving faces.

Oh well. Can't please everyone I suppose.
Le Chat Guerrier

10-Feb-2021 14:32:45

Brigantia

Brigantia

Posts: 17,674 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I'm also pretty white, though our genealogy is a complete mess around the mid-1800s (we don't know anything about my dad's side), it's hard to know if there's anything else. I don't expect there's anything BUT white in my family, to be honest. Though my mother always said there was some Native American in there somewhere down the line. >insert shrug here<

I'd really like to explore my family history as a side note lol

I kind of think that appropriation is played up in a lot of ways as an excuse to get pissed off at someone when they're trying to celebrate a part of a culture that exists, rather than like, I don't know... mock it?

I don't really get into these discussions because I'm white and therefore uncultured swine to the masses. I dunno.

If I understand it correctly, appropriation is when you take something from another culture and try to pass it off as your own. If someone is participating in a part of a culture and appreciating it for what it is and for it existing, I don't see how that's appropriation?

I see the Japanese used as an example a lot, and how they (generally) love it when foreigners try and take part in their traditions and such.
Arrr! Only th' Devil an' I know th' where'bouts o' me treasure, an' th' one o' us who lives th' longes' should take i' all.

@CapnBrigantia

10-Feb-2021 15:36:51

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

I suppose - like it or lump it - we're all unconsciously adopting fashions and habits from ethnic backgrounds other than those genetically bestowed upon us.

@Brig - you should try one of those home-DNA testing kits. My Kiwi neighbours did it - both of them believed their forebears were mainly of Scots origins according to family lore but it turned out they both had a wide spread of various European genetic footprints with very little actual "Scottish" indicators (whatever "Scottish" is) .
Le Chat Guerrier

10-Feb-2021 15:57:22

Averia Light

Averia Light

I think there is a lot of secondhand outrage due to ignorance. Imo, what is and isn't acceptable is on a spectrum based on the personal preferences of those around them. That makes me uncomfortable.

And, I am mixed as well. Really only 10k of my tribe exists, so there just aren't a lot of full blooded ones around.
And I swear I'm not going to let her know all the pain I have known

10-Feb-2021 16:01:31

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Sadly that's not surprising given the history of the treatment of Native Americans.
But that's probably entering political waters so best not go there.

Out of interest - what do Native Americans actually prefer to be called, collectively?
I recall reading that when not referring to a specific tribe there was mention of referring to them as First Nation people. Did anything come of that?
Le Chat Guerrier

10-Feb-2021 16:17:24 - Last edited on 10-Feb-2021 16:17:42 by FiFi LaFeles

Averia Light

Averia Light

I prefer Native Americans or indigenous people. Aboriginal people works as well. I haven't heard of the First Nation people. I looked it up and it seems to be a Canadian thing. And I swear I'm not going to let her know all the pain I have known

10-Feb-2021 17:29:27

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top