Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

Megycal
Sep Member 2005

Megycal

Posts: 18,105 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I forgot to mention that dring the winter of 62 - 63 I lived in a tiny village, technically a hamlet because there wasn't a church. There wasn't a school either so we went to school by bus. The roads were impassable for a while during that big freeze but it can't have been for too long because I don't remember there being things like food shortages or even power cuts..I was very young and it was a very long time ago so I'm probably mistaken.

I still live in a village although its bigger than the one I was born in. The main roads into the village do get gritted but none of the side roads do. We were cut off for a day or so in the winter of 85 -86. I think that we're now less able to cope with driving in snow, even if its just a few cms deep, because we don't have as much snowfall as we used to.

09-Feb-2021 14:23:46

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I was trawling t'Internet earlier, letting it take me to places I'd never normally adventure.

Well, I never knew Rita Ora is not black/a woman of colour.
Nor is Ariana Grande.

It's amazing what one can achieve with spray tans and wigs these days.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

10-Feb-2021 02:47:04

Brigantia

Brigantia

Posts: 17,674 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
FiFi LaFeles said :
I was trawling t'Internet earlier, letting it take me to places I'd never normally adventure.

Well, I never knew Rita Ora is not black/a woman of colour.
Nor is Ariana Grande.

It's amazing what one can achieve with spray tans and wigs these days.

I thought Ariana Grande was Hispanic tho?
Arrr! Only th' Devil an' I know th' where'bouts o' me treasure, an' th' one o' us who lives th' longes' should take i' all.

@CapnBrigantia

10-Feb-2021 12:22:14

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

No - she was born in Florida and her parents are Italian.

There seems to be widespread disapproval of certain performers who go the route of 'racially ambiguous', with a variety of of (actually, really Black/of colour) commentators not at all happy about what they perceive as cultural appropriation.

There's even a name for it! Blackfishing. I never knew that.

Interesting article about it here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-46427180
Le Chat Guerrier

10-Feb-2021 13:04:33 - Last edited on 10-Feb-2021 13:12:19 by FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

I 'spose much of it is just a 'fashion' thing .... it's fashionable in many social circles to get a spray tan (although some of these people indeed seem to have gone very dark) and braids are quite nice on anyone if done properly.

Also, the craze of getting loads of lip fillers - often overdone and resulting in a mouth like a blow-up doll but, hey ho.

I do think this girl is pushing the boundaries though, lolol

https://www.reddit.com/r/blackfishing/comments/gzrfc5/theres_more_to_this_emma_hallberg_story/
Le Chat Guerrier

10-Feb-2021 13:09:22 - Last edited on 10-Feb-2021 13:11:15 by FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Not being a Black/of colour person myself I don't feel qualified to have a view on it one way or the other so far as accusations of cultural appropriation are concerned but I find it quite a baffling thing to indulge in tbh.

I 'get' the fashion trends thing but to push it so far as to appear to a casual observer that you are entirely of different roots just seems odd to me, and somewhat dishonest.
Le Chat Guerrier

10-Feb-2021 13:26:13 - Last edited on 10-Feb-2021 13:27:07 by FiFi LaFeles

Averia Light

Averia Light

Posts: 28,508 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Just to present the opposite sode of the coin, which is actually being a minority, but not "looking" like one...

I look straight up white unless I get a tan, but I am actually a Native American. Since I don't "look the part" to a lot of people (some people can notice the distinguishing features), I am often looked at with skepticism. The truth is that I am a Shoshone who works fulltime, goes to school and is in a climate that isn't always sunny - and I have been this way since 18.

Whenever I get a tan and wear a braid, people are always like "oh now I see it" as if how I wear my hair makes a difference at all, lol.
And I swear I'm not going to let her know all the pain I have known

10-Feb-2021 13:28:21 - Last edited on 10-Feb-2021 13:33:06 by Averia Light

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Oh, actually, hands up I'm guilty of it myself ... a bit.

Years and years ago on a trip abroad I submitted to having my hair braided. Never again.

Apart from the fact it was pretty painful (HOW do black women stand that tightness??) I looked absolutely absurd ..... paler than pale skin and ginger braids. Aye, what a catch.

PMSL
Le Chat Guerrier

10-Feb-2021 13:30:59

Averia Light

Averia Light

Posts: 28,508 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Honestly, I don't buy into a lot of the appropriation arguments unless someone specifically does something to mock another culture. I don't even get butthurt over Halloween unless actual sacred items are used. I think the whole idea has been taken to an uncomfortable extreme. This is just my opinion, though, as I really don't practice a lot of rituals/habits from my tribe.

However, it does make me lol when someone "finally sees it" when I put my hair in a fishtail braid off to the side. It is just like...ok? Maybe a better indicator would be me saying that I am a Native??
And I swear I'm not going to let her know all the pain I have known

10-Feb-2021 13:39:38 - Last edited on 10-Feb-2021 13:41:24 by Averia Light

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top