Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
It's still coming down here in light, gritty form.
We've got about 6 inches now, the roads are very icy.

It has it's fun value but for many it's a misery; people with little kids or pushchairs struggle, as do the elderly or infirm who may need to go anywhere. Commuters will have dismal journeys getting to work with transport delays and cancellations, commercial drivers are at great risk of accident as are outdoor workers such as Binmen, utility workers and the like.

Unfortunately this country is just not set up to deal with more than a smattering of snow.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

09-Feb-2021 12:00:35

Brigantia

Brigantia

Posts: 17,674 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I can totally see that.

It very much conflicts with my love for snow, but I understand now, seeing your roads and general layout, that the UK is just NOT compatible with any loss of traction in vehicles. It just doesn't work.

RIP
Arrr! Only th' Devil an' I know th' where'bouts o' me treasure, an' th' one o' us who lives th' longes' should take i' all.

@CapnBrigantia

09-Feb-2021 12:06:24

Megycal
Sep Member 2005

Megycal

Posts: 18,105 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
"Unfortunately this country is just not set up to deal with more than a smattering of snow."

I was in primary school during the winter of 62 - 63. Lots of snow and very cold for weeks on end, something like late Dec 62 to March 63. Some rivers froze. I can't remember how long the school was closed for but I'm sure it wasn't for the entire time we had the awful weather. Maybe I was too young to notice how the snow affected things but I've got the feeling everything didn't grind to a halt for very long.

09-Feb-2021 12:23:39

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

I guess it's where you are and what you're doing at the time.

I commuted into London from the suburbs for just over 30 years and anything more than an inch of snow caused havoc with the rail network, guaranteed. Hell, even heavy rain and autumn leaves on the line caused disruption for weeks on end every year.

In London, and indeed town centres, things were far more reasonable. Possibly due to heavier use of the roads/pavements ensuring they were gritted/cleared more quickly but the problems lay further afield for people who had to actually get to those places.

Our village here has had no buses for two days, probably won't for several more as Gritters don't service the more minor roads around here and the Lanes not at all. The Ole Man spent the best part of the morning walking the dogs to the Village to collect prescriptions for some of our elderly neighbours, he said he saw a few 4x4 vehicles churning their way down our local B road but it's mush, and I guess it doesn't help that we're quite 'hilly' here.

For two years in the last ten the local Farmer has come with his tractor to scrape out access roads etc. although we haven't seen him this time, possibly because it's not quite so bad.

Fortunately these periods of disruption (down South anyway) are usually short lived as temperatures rarely stay down long enough for snow to linger very long but, whilst it's here, every time it's here, it seems to catch Councils and the transport system "by surprise".
Le Chat Guerrier

09-Feb-2021 12:59:30

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

On a completely unrelated note:

I just glanced up at the TV and they were showing a trailer for a series of BBC programmes focusing on the environment and how we are trashing it (ocean plastic and such).

There was a maybe 6-7 clip of forest felling with lots of people with axes and some huge bit of grab machinery pulling at a fallen tree ....... there was a lone Orangutan running along the remains of the tree and lashing out at the grab arm of this huge vehicle, trying to make it go away.

It made me feel very sad.
Le Chat Guerrier

09-Feb-2021 13:06:10

Trewavas
Jun Member 2014

Trewavas

Posts: 28,499 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
When I said I could count the amount of times I had seen snow on one hand, I didn't actually expect it to start snowing. :O

It hasn't stuck here, but I can see it has settled on the hills in the distance!

@Feefs - I agree, it's always a shame to see that happening. I watch them questioning why we still do it, even though we know from previous experiences that it's wrong.

Seeing the plastic on beaches here in Cornwall inspired me to take action. I think I have now recovered somewhere in the region of 30,000 individual pieces of plastic from beaches,though keeping an accurate count is a little hard! I keep spreadsheets of what I find, and it's always interesting to see what the main 'culprets' are.

09-Feb-2021 13:38:14 - Last edited on 09-Feb-2021 13:56:08 by Trewavas

Averia Light

Averia Light

Posts: 28,508 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Jenesiis said :
You will be so envious Brigantia...we have had snow. :) :) :)

However it amounted to about a dessertspoonful scattered liberally across my car when I came out of work. Could not see any anywhere else so won`t be making a snowman just yet.
It was really fine powder

Now that is serious snowfall in the photo above. Don`t think you will be driving out of that for a while Averia Light

We have a 4 wheel drive pickup truck that isn't pictured, but the Equinox that is pictured has AWD. In other words, we (and a lot of other people) drive in it. Honestly, it is just normal here and we adapt.
And I swear I'm not going to let her know all the pain I have known

09-Feb-2021 14:16:03

Averia Light

Averia Light

Posts: 28,508 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Also, I feel like we should all do what we can for the environment, BUT we also have to realize that it looks different for everyone. A one size fits all just doesn't work.

For instance, there are laws trying to be pushed through that would fine me for heating up my vehicle. Anyone in any cold climate ( 10 degrees Fahrenheit and under) with a car outside will tell you that you need to heat up the vehicle to see. Not even for the ice outside, but the interior side of the window fogs up and freezes of you don't let it heat up.
And I swear I'm not going to let her know all the pain I have known

09-Feb-2021 14:20:14 - Last edited on 09-Feb-2021 14:40:09 by Averia Light

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top